Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2004 10:09:03 PM EDT
any expierence w/ it??
is it good quality?
worth the $700 on impact guns.com?
any other suggestions for a 7.62x51 battle rifle (M1A is out cause of its price tag!)?

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:22:05 PM EDT
[#1]
To me . They look to be the best HK clone out there .
I was ready to buy one until I saw that they now come with OD furniture .
So I'm waiting to see it in person to see which I like better .
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:29:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I compaired both the original HK91 and the this new clone known as the PTR91. The PTR is one nice looking clone for the money and for a price under 700.00 dollars its a steal.      

The PTR provides the first time owner all the goose bumps and thrils of the HK for a thousand dollars less in cash and the quality is all high profile.

The PTR has no flash hider but who really cares the heavy match polygon barrel and two stage trigger make up for this little discrepency.  I have added the wide forearm and will be adding the BT universal low mount and a good target scope for wiley coyotee.

Magizines are cheap for this weapon system as i have pick up several new aluminum para mags (H&K) origin for 10.00 each from cdnn.

Sometime in the near future JDL will have the PTR91K out with the evil features.....Waiting for the release date.      

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:55:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:01:03 PM EDT
[#4]
My PTR91 is over the 650 range in serial numbers and had preformed vary well compaired to my original HK91 i bought back in 1986.

Yes the slim forearm dose not have a heat shield but upgrades to the wide forearm will correct the heat problem. The dopler rear sites on the PTR are an improvement over the HK with the 100 meter setting with a added peep hole over the open site HK provides. The sites on both are vary basic and to really get your moneys worth from this system you should invest in a good mount and scope and the real fun will begin.  V 2  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:13:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Careful ordering from Impact.

I ordered one from them and the transaction was not smooth to say the least.

Call them on the phone and ask if they have any in stock... they'll say no.  

It took them weeks to send mine after I ordered it.

Communication was not polite and forget about all the "tracking number will be e-mailed when your order is shipped" stuff.  

I had to harass the hell out of them eventually.

Did I get the rifle?  Yes,  for the price quoted?  yes...

It's just that Impact's practices are somewhat....shady.

As for the PTR-91,  it's pretty cool...  I'm building up a PSG-1 clone out of mine, which is expensive.  And forget about having anyone do the work this side of 2005,  the expiration of the crime bill has every gunsmith and his brother busy till January threading barrels.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:26:18 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the heads up and opinions
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:53:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I just bought one from Sarco for $660. The first one looked great except for the rust in the bore.

They sent me another one and it also looks great. If it shoots as well as it looks it's a steal.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:07:48 PM EDT
[#8]
www.sarcoinc.com/guns14-4.html#ptr
I love mine..................................
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:20:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Does the PTR91 have a chrome lined barrel? Are they manufactured from 100% new parts?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:22:47 AM EDT
[#11]
NO on the Chrome, Yes on the 100% NEW PARTS!

The barrel copper fouls like a muther too!  It's a pain to get out!
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:46:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Did the original HK91 have a chrome barrel?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 11:12:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't know.  PTR is my first experience with the HK style rifle.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:30:43 PM EDT
[#14]
The early rifles had poly bores. Newer ones have conventional rifling, mine shoots sub 1" groups at 100 yards all day long.

Bill
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:29:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I got my PTR-91T, green furniture, a couple of weeks ago and after complete tear down and cleaning I took it for test drive. 20 rnd G3 mag that comes with the rifle from JLD. One or two rounds of 20 would get jammed on the way to battery. The fired round would eject but the next round would end up almost to the chamber and the bolt would be almost closed. After clearing the rifle the round would be crushed just below the shoulder. I'm thinking its the mag. Anyone have this problem? The rear site is all the way to the left and it still shoots about 5" to the right. Not to bothersome since I plan on a mount and scope.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:07:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll jump in here. I got my PTR-91 Wednesday, and dumped about 200 rounds Thursday morning. Not a hiccup the whole time. Shoots nicely, and accurate, but shoots a foot high at 100yards and I don't have anything to adjust the sight with yet. One caveat though, this thing kicks like hell. I guess it's the plastic stock, but something hurts me. We also shot my buds .338 Win Mag BAR and while it kicked more than the PTR, it was not as abusive. I have a huge bruise on my shoulder, but a bigass grin on my face.  (Oh yeah, a bruised cheekbone from having my head too far forward on the stock )
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 12:27:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey vanilla_gorilla, what a great post.

I got my PTR-91 a couple of weeks ago and I just ( 30min) got back from the range. My report:

I shot a buunch of rounds, no hiccups. Shoots nice and accurate, although it's about a foot high. I don't have a sight tool yet. It has a lot of recoil, probably from the plastic stock. My shoulder is bruised but I'm smiling.

Enough of the repetion. Great rife (and lots of irony)!!!
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 1:13:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Shot my first ptr-91 today. It was brutal on my cheek. I have hk-91s that don't do the same at all. Matter of fact we shot them side by side and the ptr was kicking the crap out of us and whacking our cheeks. I dunno if it's the cheaper stock that's used on the ptr which is at fault, but it was painful to say the least.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 1:52:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I agree about the kick these have! I've had mine six months now and haven't had any trouble. I did find that adding the "Buffer Block" to the stock has dramatically leasened the beeting that your shoulder takes. They only cost $20 and are well worth it! only take 5 minutes to install and no tools required.

If you think the kick is bad now, try one in full auto sometime! Man, all you can do is "hang-on for the ride",you want to talk about going home with a smile from ear to ear though! It don't get better than that!

I strongly recommend the PTR .308 to everybody! So much more to it than the .223 and they're built to last forever.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:54:09 AM EDT
[#20]
http://img91.exs.cx/img91/3628/Misc010.jpg

Hot damn! It finally worked.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:06:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Vanilla Gorilla and Bullet - I agree, shooting the PTR-91 is a bust in the chops.  

Recoil in the shoulder wouldn't be so bad, but that smack in the face you get when the bolt carrier slams into the back of the reciever is no fun at all!

Any ideas how to control that?  Stronger recoil spring?   Polyurethane buffer pad?  different stock?  

I'm planning on converting mine into a SR-9 TC - the poor man's PSG-1  

I already purchased a 24-inch heavy barrel for it, I need to get a PSG-1 trigger group - or williams set trigger,  and I need the PSG-1 buttstock.  the SR-9 TC used a wierd forearm that I don't really care for.  I'll probably be putting a standard HK-91 wide forearm stock on mine - just like Billy Zane's rifle in the movie "Sniper."

Brugger and Thomet also makes a 3-rail ventilated aluminum HK-91 stock which merits some attention.   I have seen pictures of it, but not of one mounted on a rifle.  I like the thought of having 3-rails though,  easy to mount bipods and other rubbish.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:10:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Try here-www.brasscatchers.com they have a cheek piece, stock extentsion and a rubber recoil pad...
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:33:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Sight tools are a pain to find.  I just used to sharp metalic tools to compress the detents in a CHOPSTICK like fashion.  I've heard some here use Forcepts to do this too.

I actually had to relieve the bottom of the sight drum to get it low enough to bring my POI down.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top