Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2004 5:03:58 PM EDT
I am a newb when it comes to HK.  I dont even know what models they make.  

1. What rifles do they make that I could get in the US? (non class 3).
2. Parts avialibility.  Do I have to send it to Germany to get it fixed?
3. Where do I find one and what is a reasonable price?  
4. Any other insight...

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:51:27 PM EDT
[#1]
btt
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:52:01 PM EDT
[#2]
1) None right now they only sell handguns.

2) Parts and repair are available here in the USA.

3)Look around. Price depends on model and condition. Clones go for less than the real thing.

4) Go to www.HKPro.com and click on "World of HK" for a complete list of HK weapons.
Also read their forums for more info.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:53:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
1) None right now they only sell handguns.

2) Parts and repair are available here in the USA.

3)Look around. Price depends on model and condition. Clones go for less than the real thing.

4) Go to www.HKPro.com and click on "World of HK" for a complete list of HK weapons.
Also read their forums for more info.

THANKS!!!
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:54:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, you asked, so here's my feelings on the matter:
You'll be spending some big $$ getting a NIB/LNIB HK due to the '89 assault weapon import ban (that one doesn't sunset)  

HK91--308.  Expect a pricetag of $1700-$2500 depending on condition.  Parts availability pretty good
HK93--223.  More expensive than the 91 due to far fewer imported before the '89 ban, quite a bit harder to find magazines and such
SL8--223.  I've seen them for under $900, but unless converted to accept AR/M16 mags, you're pretty much limited to 10 rds  (although now that the 94 ban is dead, anything is possible!  And they look WICKED COOL when converted to G36 configuration)
MP series--9mm, 40, 45 (?)  Too damn expensive for me...never saw one cheaper than $2K and I can't hunt or long range target shoot with a carbine chambered for pistol ammo.

There's several variants to what I've listed as well, most differences being a shorter or longer barrel/upgraded trigger group/stocks

Building an HK is something best left to people like Jayson at Investment Grade Firearms. (I'd give you a link, but I'm a computer illiterate monkey...Google is your friend!)  It requires pressing the barrel into the trunion, welding on the receiver, and other arcane talents that I don't posess.
There's several good HK 'smiths here in the USA who can build you a fine rifle or fix any problems that come up, so shipping to Germany isn't necessary.

There's less expensive options that are 'just as good' or almost as good as the original HKs.  Just like DPMS, DSA, Armalite, Colt, Olympic, ect make AR15s, there's a few companies who make copies of the HKs quite a bit cheaper.

I've personally only heard of 2 quality HK91 clones:  PTR91--It's a US made clone of the original HK91 and you can get them brand new for under $800.   Then, there's the Springfield Armory SAR-8, but only the old ones with steel receivers--they started using aluminum receivers when the steel rec supply dried up, and they suffer all the same problems as the other clones. (more on this later in post) Unfortunately, the SAR8 ain't exactly bargain firepower either...$1300 for the last one I saw.  All parts for both SA and PTR are interchangeable with the real deal.

Some folks will tell you that a CETME is the same as the HK...not necessarily so.  If it's an ORIGINAL CETME, you're probably good to go, but you'll pay almost as much as you will for the HK.  Anything made by Century, Hesse, Vulcan, SW, Bobcat are to be avoided--mostly out of spec receivers, sagging grip frames, (causes fte/ftf and ain't easy to remedy at home) guns assembled from surplus junk...you get what you pay for, and HKs/quality clones aren't cheap.  If you see something for under $1K, (excepting the PTR91) it's probably not going to be worth your aggravation and effort to make it run.

You can surf Gunbroker.com and GunsAmerica.com for pretty much anything HK related; parts to complete firearms.

Parts aren't impossible to find, and the HK family isn't too hard to work on yourself (as long as you aren't trying to change barrels or similar) if you have a bit of mechanical savvy and some common sense.  HKWeaponssystems.com can give you all the information you'd ever want about this family of weapons.  (there's a fella called Derk over there who builds his own and REALLY knows his stuff)

Personally, I think my HK91 was the most reliable weapon I've ever owned--even over my AK and Soviet built SKS--but it wasn't versatile or accurate enough for me.  Unless you get the MSG/PSG, you're looking at 2-3 MOA battle rifles at best, and I wanted a tack driving sub-MOA stick.  I sold it and bought a 308 flat top AR variant with 24" barrel, a second flat top upper w/ 16" barrel and a nice scope.  Haven't regretted that trade at all.

Disclaimer:  I'm an opinionated SOB, and I'm sure there's folks here who have differing opinions.  Go to the gunshows and pick up/handle/examine everything you can, buy what you think is going to work best for you--don't rely on us internet commandos for advise on this!
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:06:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for lettin it all out.  That was exactly what I was lookin fer.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top