Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2004 11:21:32 AM EDT
if you had the extra cash burning a hole in YOUR pocket, which one would you buy?  or something else?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:32:17 AM EDT
[#1]
hard choice, probably the Steyr bullpup, because no doubt they will eventually be banned, looking so "EVIL".
But a SBR'ed HK94 would be very sweet indeed.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:32:50 AM EDT
[#2]
HK94 is on my list for late September.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:35:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Have a USR and a IGF 94, I have to give the green light to the Steyr.  Shoots .223 better then my ARs, saiga or IGF 33.  Intergrated sight, little recoil and smooth.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 2:35:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a AUG and just bought a HK94 two months ago. Both are great guns but I think the AUG might have a more practical use. It is .223 and you can use it hunting, if .223 is allowed in your state, it is different looking, and it is compact. The HK94 is fun to shoot, but it is a plinker. If you don't have too many .223 then get the AUG. If you do not have a 9mm carbine the get the HK 94.

Both are great for collecting...if you want to buy both then you can look into a DSA AUG and a HK94 clone.  

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#5]
what  the DSA AUG?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 4:02:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
what  the DSA AUG?

DSA will reprotedly be bringing the AUG to the US. Newly manufactured from parts in accordance with 922(r).
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#7]
UZI4you:
so if you were to sell one, which would it  be and which would you keep?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:53:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I am pretty sure that I would choose the 94.
Never been a fan of the bullpups.
A better comparison would have been AUG vs. Hk53.
That way you eliminate the 9mm vs. 5.56 questions.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:09:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
UZI4you:
so if you were to sell one, which would it  be and which would you keep?

Now that is a good question. On the one side I would say the HK94. Because I have no real practical purpose for it other then a plinking rifle and a collectors item. The AUG has a practical use, meaning I can use it for hunting, or target shooting. So if I based my decision on practical uses the HK94 comes up short.

But I have to say that if I had to sell off one it would be the AUG. My reasons would be;
1)I am trying to build a HK collection and I have the 91,93,94 so, if I sold the 94 it would break the set.
2)I do see AUGs at gun shows and gun stores from time to time (Rarely) but the last time I saw a HK 94 at a gun show was in the early 90s.
3)I have five .223s including the AUG, only 9mm rifle.
4)My father has his own AUG so if I missed the AUG really bad (and I would) I could still shoot his.

Truth be told I could not part with either rifle, but if I had to sell one over the other it would be the AUG.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 11:06:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Are the new augs going to use ar mags?
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 11:08:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Are the new augs going to use ar mags?

Probably not, but I would rather have transparent 42s anyway.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:22:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd buy the 94....................but that's only 'cause I have three AUGs.  I love HK rifles, and as we speak I'm contemplating getting either the 93 or 94 (already have a 91).  When I bought my first AUG ( a used green one with five mags), the guy also had two 94's, two 93's and several other very fine, high end imported weapons.  I chose the AUG because of the reasons listed above, and also because of my belief that it (along with the AR15 of course ) is one of the finest overall 5.56 assault weapons in the world........ergonomic (like no one's business!), reliable, potent, robust, accurate, light, and extremely compact.  My 16" AUGs' OAL is 27"!  Not to mention that rapid target acquisition is the standard with the "donut of death"; that is, when carrying the AUG at the low ready, and then quickly shouldering it in preparation to take a shot, you would not believe how quickly and almost effortlessly you acquire your "bead", and are able to squeeze one (or several) off.  Borrow, rent, or somehow try both the AUG and the 94 and see which one you like better.  Good luck with your choice, but remember that you really can't go wrong with either gun.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:44:46 AM EDT
[#13]
The only thing I dont like about the aug is changing mags.  Takes both hands and isn't that quick.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Standard answer: Get both!

That's what I wound up doing...

The downsides of the AUG are that parts are spendy, mags are spendy, and extra barrels (which you know you want) are spendy. It's painted-on finish is also prone to wear, especially around the charging handle.

The upsides are that it's stupidly simple to clean and maintain, it's accurate, and with some training/practice you can do mag changes and drills as fast as an AR.

The downsides of an HK94 are that it's finish is like the AUG's; mounting a scope can scratch the finish. Also, it's a real PITA to clean if you're anal about any carbon anywhere on a rifle after you've cleaned it (as I am).

Upsides are that mags are pretty cheap, compared to AUG's (Tapco's running a special on stick mags right now), it's recoil is even less than an AUG's, and they're just so...smooth to shoot. Really, it's like...I don't know...it sort of feels like squeezing a tube of grease or something. It's not sharp at all. Also, there's a fair number of good HK smiths out there if you want work done to it (getting a real flap mag release installed, having a 3-lug barrel installed and a fake can attached, etc), but they're pretty spendy and backlogged these days.

Also, converting an HK to be sear-ready won't really diminish it's value. If anything, it might increase it.. I don't know what's needed to make an AUG registered trigger-pack ready, so I can't comment on that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top