Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2003 11:24:12 AM EDT
I'm a complete newbie to HKs except thier pistols.  While looking at the Ohio Rapid Fire page, I started dreaming about getting an MP5 clone or Rapid Fire's HK53 clone.  I'm hoping to educate myself a little before I start calling them and bothering them with newbie questions.

First, I was wondering if anybody makes a HK receiver with LE/Restricted markings?  I'm LE and would really want a sliding/folding stock.  If there are none floating around, can a smith make one or are we limited to whats on the market now?  I would like the mp5 in .40 cal if possible since my PD provides unlimited .40 for free.  Does anybody have experience with one.  How easy is it to gets mags for them since they were discontinued?

thanks for your help guys.  I've also posted at hkpro.com since a lot of HKers are there.

stay safe

*edit:  Forgot to add...I'm in the Republik of IL so it has to be a 0-1 receiver.  No full auto :(.  It also has to have a 16 in barrel.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:04:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Dunno about the LE recieiver (You may want to e-mail the company that makes the receivers, Special weapons) but..
I do know that the only way to make a HK-94 clone in .40 is to use a de-milled MP5/40 and then have someone assemble it (costly). It might not be possible at all though because you may have too many foreign parts then.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:48:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I advise against the 53, as it is really just a novelty, not really useful. A .40 would be difficult. A manufacturer (and I am sure that ORF has the proper licenses) could mark it LEO. You need a letter form the Chief.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:14:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Since you bring up the point of a LEO only weapon, which has to be transferred/sold to your department, and not directly to you, the easy way is to just spend the money on a True MP-5/40 from HK.  The rifle runs around $1500, and the mags around $30 (all LEO only).  The Only downfall is that when you retire, the automatic weapon cannot be gifted to you, it has to stay with the department, unlike a semi department weapon (personal weapon).  

P.S. you may want to check with some other departments in you state to see if someone is looking to get there money back on of a department issued weapon (personally paid for) that they are no longer using.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:25:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Dano...I was thinking of the Individual Ofc Purchase way to go.  I know that would not be select fire, which stinks.  The department is not interested in select fire so going throught the department is out, too.  You did give me a good idea, Dano.  I think I will check with a few departments and see if they are looking to get rid of some semi-only HKs.

Combat Jack...I was leaning toward the 53 since it uses .223, which is also free for me.  Also the fact that our department has been going to the "patrol carbine" type calibers.  Since this would be a duty use weapon, it has to be reliable.  I figure HKs are reliable and I anticipate the only problems I may encounter with reliability is magazine performance.

Thanks all for your input.  I'll save up a couple bucks and give ORF a call soon.

Anybody with direct experience with the HK53 or clone feel free to add comments, good or bad.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 11:35:34 PM EDT
[#5]
The 8 inch barrel is too short to hurt someone.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:34:08 AM EDT
[#6]
tango_down,
Just remember that if your looking for a LEO weapon (One that would fit the current bans configuration), the weapon has to come in the assault weapon configuration from the factory (C-2).  You can't start off with a post ban rifle, then add/change items to make it into a LEO configuration (even if the bare receiver is stamped LEO).

Also, any LEO weapon is going to need some sort of department letterhead, so think form 5 on a semi LEO SBR (marked LEO).  Your going to find that the 16" barrel on the HK-94 is a bit too long for service work.  Then, before you leave the department, have the barrel pressed out, install a new 16" barrel, then have the C-2 take the SBR off the NFA books (leaving it as a LEO only weapon).  This way, when you retire, the rifle is yours and off the department’s records, but in the mean time, you have service working weapon that will suit your needed (LEO weapons can be gifted, even with the folding stock, it’s the SBR (barrel) part that would need to be changed before the department can gift you the weapon on retirement).

Also, as stated, the only receivers that I am aware of in 40 are the MP5/40.  Since once a machine gun, always a machine gun, and your department will not sign off on a Full-Auto’s, you may have to start looking at another platform for your LEO 40.  Maybe an Ar-15 from Oly in 40 may be your weapon of choice.

Or if you want to go 223, then have Jayson build up a LEO V-53/93.  Being that he can LEO build the weapon, you can have it any way you want (even SBR'd).
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 12:23:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Dano...more good ideas. thanks.  Here in Illinois no one can possess a SBR.  Its my understanding that the department can purchase one (gov't funds) and I could use it.  But through the Indiviual Ofc. Purchase program, I don't think SBRs are allowed.  If I'm wrong someone correct me and I'll go get a second mortgage.  You brought up some good points about the lower being a MG always an MG.  I caught a little something on "clipped and pinned or shaved" HK lowers at hkpro.com.  I think they are MG lowers that have been "nuetered"to semi-only.  I was thinking of using one of those, but then it wouldn't have the LE markings unless it was an LE marked lower and then clipped.

Maybe I'm just stubborn.  There has to be a way I can get ahold of an HK (even a clone) without selling a kidney.

Thanks for all the help gang!
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:20:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Rapid Fire 53 and I love it. I had them build mine with a 16" barrel. I added a fake SD shroud. Mine is the one pictured on his site. The 16" barrel helps a bunch on velocity and even reliability. I absolutely love it. I just shoot popcans and dirt chuncks, so take it with a grain of salt.

Hope this helps...Todd Grove is a great guy too, he won't mind all your questions, I asked him about 1000 of them before ordering.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 11:14:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey how is the accuracy with your RF HK clone?
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:21:25 AM EDT
[#10]
you could buy a factory h/k-93 [$1900-2500] and send it to curtis higgins to have it SBR,I this last year and I love it.the weapon is very nice to fire [not much recoil] and I also have A sear pack in 3 calibers. also you can purchase 40rd alloy mags for $40-50 each.I checked on the LEO mags and they are about the same price as pre-ban [SHERIFF DEPUTY IN VA] .if you need more info give me a call or email me.JASON IN VA 757 715-4689  
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 10:49:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I have fired a flash suppressed 6.5 inch 5.56, and it made a fireball the size of a basketball in full daylight. Loud too. I think HK53s are cool, but for anything serious, I reccomend an MP5.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top