Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2003 3:56:55 AM EDT
Regrettably I sold my Springfield Armory Sar-8 a couple years back and ever since I've wanted a suitable steel receiver replacement.  Are the Century Arms pieces I see on Gunbroker worth the money?

In other words, is the finish good?  The construction sound?  The accuracy up to par with the Sar-8 or genuine HK 91's?
The reason I am reluctant to go back to the SAR-8 is because long ago I realized the limitations of the receiver in terms of interchangeability with true HK parts and accessories.

$479 USD:

Link:
gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=14259159

$499 USD:

Link:
gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=14177821

So on and so forth, you get the idea.

Please let me know from FIRST HAND experience, not what you *heard*

-Rob
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 10:48:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Spend $699 and order a PTR-91 from either CDNN or FAC.

For $200 more, You will get a New rifle, and not some worn out kit, built up on a out of spec receiver.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 11:32:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Save your money a while longer, and get another Springfield.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 11:39:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 1:22:36 PM EDT
[#4]
It seems to me that this PTR brand is relatively new, I mean, within the past two-three years they've become another player in the HK 91 clone manufacturing.  I do not recall hearing their name when I was looking for prospective rifles.

Hm.  I'll take a look in my FAC catalog.

Thank you for the responses.

Are there any other people with both good and bad stories of PTR-91s?

-R.W.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 1:40:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Come to think of it, I might be better off assembling my own rifle.  Anybody know of HK91 kit builders...you provide the parts, they provide the service.  How much am I looking to spend?  From welding on the receiver to putting on a finish?  (ballpark figures)

-R.W.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 4:17:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:38:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Couple of comments.  First, I have an early PTR-91 and it had problems.. sent it back to JLD twice.  However, they were courteous, professional and relatively quick on the turnaround.  They got it right on the second trip, and it's been running fine.  I also have a tight trigger pack after that trip, none of the looseness it originally had.  Given that I've had issues with other firearms I've purchased (ParaOrdnance and Taurus), I have something to compare the service to. (They weren't as good as PO's service, but they were a million times better than the no-service I got from Taurus, but that's another rant)

It's a good shooter for the price, supposedly better than the Century stuff, but I have no comparisons, only all the hearsay I read while researching my PTR purchase.  However, if you want a build, everyone says call Jayson at IGF (http://www.investmentgradefirearms.com/).  Again, I have no experience with his work, I've just seen a lot of pics from many happy customers - never heard anyone say anything bad about him.  And on the internet, that says something. :)
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 2:37:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a G3 from Ohio Rapid Fire.  It's a Century receiver and looks and functions great.  $600.  Great service, too.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:26:59 PM EDT
[#9]
What options came with the 600 dollar G3 from Ohio Rapid Fire? What kind of parts, what kind of finish, etc.?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top