Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2003 3:01:59 AM EDT
I am thinking seriously about picking one up.  Don't know too much about them other than they look cool and felt pretty good to hold.  Looking for your thoughts and opinions regarding this rifle.  How does it shoot, what is good price range, etc.  Thanks guys.

Guz
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 9:59:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Guz,
 You might want to check out www.adcofirearms.com, and look at the custom rifles section.  Steve has some modified SL8 that look like G36.  They look great just like everyother SL8, with muzzle brake, SW mag well, and stock+lower, convesrion.  Plus the price is right $1700.  This is the cheapest I've seen them or you can pick up a SL8 on gunbroker.com for around $950.  Also check out websites like hkpro.com and http://alpinetek.netfirms.com/guns/SL8/.
Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 4:14:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks WaMag.  Appreciate the reply.  I'll check out those sites for more info.

Guz
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 7:31:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I've run a couple 10 round mags through an SL8, stock configuration with a G36 scope on it.

I liked it...the stock felt weird to me, but I'm a big guy...and the stock's pistol grip is kind of weird for me.

It was a snap to clean. Mag changes were pretty quick and easy...but it's lack of a bolt release makes it somewhat cumbersome to release the bolt with the charging handle. I guess lots of use/training with it would fix that awkwardness, though.

The scope, by the way, was dead on. No adjustments needed to be made. It was printing where it should at about 100 yards, for a 200 meter zero.

If you don't mind the color (or plan on getting it dyed), then by all means, go for it. I'm a little leery of the M16 magwell...it just looks weird to me. Hopefully when the ban sunsets, we'll be able to put real G36 magwells in, and use real G36 mags With real G36 stocks and all...
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 9:03:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Well it looks like the adco SL8 conversion was a one rifle deal, and if you want to make one its going to be around $2000 for a plain jane conversion.  So I think I'll just have Steve dye me one black and do the barrel, and sit on it to see what happens with the AWB.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 12:34:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I like mine. The trigger is a bit heavy but has no creep.

The front sight is its main fault. Its too thick for getting good groups at 100 yards and beyond.
The saftey lever is not in a good position, and have to use my trigger finger, or my weak hand. With the thumbhole stock I can't reach the lever with my thumb.

Recoil is very soft, and cleaning is really easy.

I've seen them from $950.00 to $1200 lately. Some people are raising the price because HK stopped importing them.

I paid $1095 for mine.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 2:07:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the info.  Well, I took the plunge yesterday.  Found a local dealer with one on sale for $929.  I hope to get it out to the range on Saturday for a test drive.  I also think it may look good in black, so I may be considering a dye job.  Thanks again.

Guz
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top