Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2003 6:04:51 PM EDT
FYI Im going to post this same thread on AR15, HKPRO and HK91.com.

I got my PTR91 about a month ago and it works but there are a few things that are beyond my skills/tools that I don't think should be present on  ~$800 rifle.  There are 2 such problems.  I would like you guys to tell me if its reasonable to ask JLD (the maker) to fix these problems.

Firstly, the peice that is on the end of the cocking tube (what's it called?) that provides the hole for the pin that holds the front end of the handgaurd is slightly askew.  Here is a picture I made to illustrate this.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/s/j/sjz113/PTR91%20Problems/tube.gif

Installing the handguard forces this piece ( part in yellow) to rotate back creating a torque on the cocking tube and pushes the end of the cocking tube to the right which may cause it to touch the triple frame/barrel which I would dislike very much.

The next problem is with the grip frame/reciever which is the more serious problem.  Since the grip frame cannot br pinned in place like on a real G3, it has to rest on a lip that is at the bottom of the mag well.  I think my lip is too low.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/s/j/sjz113/PTR91%20Problems/reciever.jpg

I say this because the grip frame constantly has a bit of play at the magazine end.  This play allows the grip frame to move ~1.5mm.  The problem is that the trigger assembly is rigidly attached to the grip frame.  When the grip frame is pulled down the ejector lever is also pulled down causing failure to eject when operating the charging handle manually.  This problem is not present under normal firing which leads me to assume that the ejector lever is moving so fast upward under recoil that it 'bounces' up to catch the casing.  Still I don't like the fact that my $800 rifle is ~1.5mm out of spec.  I know my grip is not at fault because I have 2 different grip frames from 2 different sources and both of them sit loose.  Here are some pictures to show this.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/s/j/sjz113/PTR91%20Problems/gripflush.jpg

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/s/j/sjz113/PTR91%20Problems/griplow.jpg

So, should I ask JLD to fix these problems?  Or am I being too picky?
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 6:10:39 AM EDT
[#1]
The handguard hanger at the end of the cocking tube sounds like it was welded incorrectly or the cocking tube was welded askew.  It depends if they attach the hanger to the cocking tube after welding the cocking tube to the receiver or attaching the hanger to the tube before they weld the tube to the receiver.  Either way the pin hole in the hanger should be perpindicular to the centerline of the triple frame as you show in your should be picture.

The gap on the trigger group could be fixed by shimming the shelf in the grip frame by using different thicknesses of sheetmetal.  If your 1.5mm is fairly accurate, this equates to 16 gauge.  Cut a piece that will fit into the grip frame and see if that closes the gap.  If it is too tight and will not fit you can go to 18 gauge.  After you find a good fit, epoxy it to the grip frame.  This problem would concern me the most.  As the gun could get fouled with some debris, the ejector may not kick up as easily and then you would start having failures to eject.  I would send it in for this alone.  If you are leery to send it in, try the shim and see if that satisfies you.  If you do send it in you could have your "French" type of sight replaced with a German type that is adjustable for elevation which I have heard they will replace for free.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 5:46:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I already got one with the new german sight.  Well anyway, I called them and I sent it in.  At first I thought I'd get one of the latter rifles which I assumed they would have ironed out some of the bigger problems, and they did, but not everything.  I hope I get a new rifle that doesn't have these problems.  There's too many ill feelings tied to #501.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 11:18:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I have #0058 and i must say it is perfect ,it has the old tight chamber and has not been a problem with the right ammo [port,aussy,and fed gold match 168 grain] if yours is not right send it back and they will fix it don't mess with it send it back .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top