BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2003 9:51:02 PM EDT
What is the BEST G3 clone to have.

Quality, funtion & accuracy?

thanks
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 4:05:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably the Greek SAR-3/SAR-8 imported by Springfield; the one with the steel receiver, not the later one built on an aluminum receiver.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 10:12:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Federal lower G3, aluminum lower. It's ok, nothing has given me any problems. I don't even see Federal at gunshows any more, it's all Cetme or Hesse it seems.

Avoid Hesse at all costs.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:38:16 AM EDT
[#3]
The Portuguese seems to be liked the best from the people Ive talked to.
A Century Arms is probably the best known clone.
I have a FA91 to and no complaints from me out of the Aluminum receiver. In fact I prefer it because its the only one with a integrated rail system. But you cant put a carry handle on it because of the rail.

Avoid older Hesse stuff. Ive heard some horror stories as well.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:51:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I second the Springfield Armory Greek rifles, the SAR 3 (pre-ban) and SAR-8 (post ban) with the steel receivers as being the best clone, by far.

The Portugese rifles, those assembled in Portugal, not parts guns built over here using a Portugese (FMP) receiver and shot to hell parts, are a very close second to the Springfield guns though.  The Portugese guns are marked G3S (preban) and XG3S (postban), and are phosphated (parkerized) rather than painted liket he HK and Springfield rifles were.

I've owned several real HK91's and several Springfield Armory SAR-3's and the quality is comparable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top