Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2003 6:47:47 PM EDT
Not sure how many of you are aware of this, but there's a guy on our boards named HiCap who's been making very good and very affordable BIG mags for us...

After stumbling across a post about it, and hearing all the buzz from people who have gotten mags from him, I contacted him about making me a gigantastic magazine for my FAL. See, the thing with FAL's is that the mags are very affordable, but "only" hold 20 rounds. Now that IS a lot of rounds, but I always thought it would be nice to have a bigger mag. I looked at the 30 rounders that DSA sells, but they run around $65+ for inch mags and more for metrics... For that same price I could have 6 or more brand new 20 round magazines, so for the price I had to pass… I never thought that I'd be able to strap in more than 20 rounds to my FAL, but this weekend I tried out the very nice 50 rounder sold to me by HiCap.

First about the mag... I don't know exactly how it's made, but it is very solid and not bad looking considering it's really 3 different mags stuck together. I was worried that the spring would be either too tight or too weak however it was not hard to load, and while I could have probably squeezed in a few extra rounds, I was worried that my FAL would not feed them if I pushed it…

While it was insanely cold this last weekend, I went to the range anyways to try out my new magazine. I had been worried that the first round would be difficult to feed, and without a forward assist of any kind on my FAL, it could have been a pain… Despite being loaded up with so many heavy 7.62x51 rounds, it fed flawlessly! My FAL merrily ate all 50 rounds without a hitch, and I was a very very happy boy!

The only downside with this magazine are things that I expected, and HiCap cannot be blamed for. Firstly, this is a fairly heavy addition to an already heavy rifle. Secondly, it is ridiculously long. It was hard to shoot from a bench with it, but it was actually manageable. While I am VERY pleased with my crazy sized 50 rounder, most reasonable people would likely be satisfied with a more modest sized magazine that HiCap is making. I know he currently is making CETME mags, FAL mags, AK mags, etc. in various sizes.

His prices aren’t unreasonable either. The 50 round magazine was shipped to me for much less than the price of DSA’s 30rnd mag, which is not bad considering he had to use 3 magazines to make it and shipping was included. His products to me seem more a service than a commodity since similarly sized mags from elsewhere are not only more expensive, but not nearly as reliable.

Well, here’s a pic of said 50 rounder in my FAL:

You can see it fits right into my family…. (the AK mag is not one done by HiCap, but I think he’s considering making them soon)

;)

Here’s a link to his website: http://50rounds.com/

Shawn
Link Posted: 1/13/2003 10:23:24 PM EDT
[#1]

LOL!

I don't know quite what to say!

Ya' got any pouches for those things?

Or how 'bout a chest harness?

Maybe a truss.

Link Posted: 1/14/2003 12:13:12 PM EDT
[#2]
That is one good looking barrel melter!!!!

HUNTER

CHECK THE HANDGUN AND THE WINSCONSIN FORUMS
Link Posted: 1/23/2003 6:48:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Thanks for the review, srv656s.

I guess it is for fun and for sh!t and giggles.
 Hell, you can use it as it as another pod, like in tripod.

-------------------
 Hunter223 wrote:
 That is one good looking barrel melter!!!!
----------------

I think it's more like shoulder-beater.

Link Posted: 1/31/2003 12:08:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Imagine using these mags

in this weapon, the DSArms Mini-OSW (11.5" barreled monster)

The HunchFAL of Notre Dame!!!
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 7:05:37 PM EDT
[#5]
What ever happened to this guy?  His website is dead.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Just red X,
Are you saying he is manufacturing hi cap mags.
Maybe thats why his web page is dead.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 10:40:40 PM EDT
[#7]
K-9, from what I've read he lost the lease on the building he was using, IIRC.

The ATF says its legal, he's not creating a new mag that holds more than 10 rounds, he's joining two already existing STANDARD CAPACITY MAGS into one enlarged-capacity.

I read about this before the site went down, couple months ago. Decided that for the money, I'd probably be just as well off sticking with the standard 20 rounders.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 8:17:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Speaking of hi-cap mags, wasn't there a place that sold like 90 round drum magazines that fit in FALs and all that? Some absurd price if I remember right, but hot damn they looked cool...

Anyone remember where they were?

Edited to add: Ok, I found some things in google (viking70 fal drum got a couple of hits) but variations on that haven't produced much of anything...the drum mag looks awesome, but a) are they for sale, b) if so, where are they for sale, and c) how much are they now?

I could have sworn I found all this info before, but I can't even find a web page on them..
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 9:44:17 AM EDT
[#9]
[Chuck]Damn Dirty X's[/Chuck]
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 1:09:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Viking drum from the weaponarts.com image gallery:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top