Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2021 1:50:33 AM EDT
Did the Belgian, Austrian, Brazilian, Austrian, South African, Israeli, British, and Indian FAL's all have the same barrel twist rate of 1:12? Regardless of barrel length?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:38:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Every one I have ever checked had 1:12.

But I think Badger did some 1:10's maybe?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:08:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I think that there were some 1:11 barrels too, but that would make them odd...

Forrest
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:54:06 AM EDT
[#3]
DSA's are 1:10.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 3:47:45 PM EDT
[#4]
The military ones all had 12 inch rifling.

The Inch pattern ones originally had 6 groove rifling and the metric ones had 4 groove rifling.

Some of the Australian replacement barrels and later production rifles have 4 groove rifling and some Canadian rifles may have 4 groove rifling.

The British went with 6 groove rifling in an effort to improve or prolong accuracy, but the accuracy didn't change from the original 4 groove rifling.

The Canadians adopted the rifle before the British and the Aussies decided to switch to 4 groove rifling as there wasn't an advantage with 6 groove rifling.

The Aussies did come with some special target barrels, that may have changed in twist rate and / or type of rifling.

Pre-1961 H&K G3's had 6 groove polygonal rifling, but in 1961 NATO standardized on 4 groove conventional rifling and most buyers of the G3 wanted the NATO standard rifling, so H&K started offering both and later sniper and target models got 4 groove polygonal rifling too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top