Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/4/2020 12:36:42 PM EDT
I've read in the past that newer DSA FALs have had problems - is that still the case today?

If I pick up a brand new one from DSA (looking at their traditional model), do I need to know anything?

I just want an FAL that 1. has the traditional FAL look and 2. runs reliably (hah, I guess we all want that).

Advice?
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 1:46:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Not every unit coming from DSA is junk. Plenty of them run fine right out of the box.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 1:50:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not every unit coming from DSA is junk. Plenty of them run fine right out of the box.
View Quote

Roger.

I just got the impression that the general feeling was, "stay the hell away from DSA unless you want a jammo-matic piece of crap."

I guess that's what happens when you take internet forums' words for things.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 2:08:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Roger.

I just got the impression that the general feeling was, "stay the hell away from DSA unless you want a jammo-matic piece of crap."

I guess that's what happens when you take internet forums' words for things.
View Quote

They're not 100% wrong but I wouldn't say they're 100% right either. DSA magazines can be a real PITA.

Your best bet for a FAL is one of the imported models sold years ago or a kit build plus surplus magazines.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 3:22:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Everyone puts out a stinker.

I think the Voyager guns were the risky proposition for them and corners got cut to hit that $1000 price point.  I have a quasi-custom Para Voyager they built during that era that had to be sent back to the factory for magazine fitment issues.  They had it for a few weeks, took care of that issue, found an issue with the bolt and replaced it, and refinished the gun.  Shipped to and from on their dime.  Their gunsmith personally called me to explain what they did to it and why it was necessary.  I was very impressed by how they handled it.  I bought one of their Israeli FALs and it didn't have the same annoying issues, so they stepped up their QC in the time between.  I have one of their FALOs on order now.

Their original metal US-made magazines were a disaster and they've since discontinued them.  The newer polymer ones may not be world-beaters, but they are a ton better than the previous ones. Just buy surplus when you can.  I found a whole box I don't remember buying when I moved.

I feel like they are worth taking the chance on.  The way they went above and beyond on my Voyager repair really got me drinking their koolaid.  Yeah, it shouldn't have shipped like that, especially quasi-custom, but they made it right.  They're bringing back forged receivers and chromed barrels, so they're listening to customers.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 3:23:57 PM EDT
[#5]
DSA fal mags suck.  You are better off with surplus mags.  Heck even thermold mags are better than DSA mags.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 3:36:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I occasional wake up dreaming that somebody has stolen my DSA FAL because I love it so much.  DSA are known for being very tight from the factory and will jam.  This can be avoided by lubricating the bolt carrier and working the charging handle back and forth over and over and over hundreds of times.  Think of it as a breaking in period.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got quite a few dsa's and never had a problem with any of them. I picked up a lot of surplus alloy mags a long time ago and use them exclusively.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 4:03:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Buy with confidence imho
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 12:00:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I have one of their Israeli kit built Hebrew Warhammers in the field distressed "soldiers grade" with white letters filled in. The thing looks like it just came out of a cave in the Sinai from the 60s.  Looks great, fires great, can't speak to accuracy because my eyes are too old to shoot well with irons.

I did find an is it really SUIT  to put on it but haven't gotten out to the range with it yet.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 10:41:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a Voyager I bought new a few years ago.  It seems to work every time I pull the trigger.  But it only has a couple 100 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I had to tweak the Para kit I put on mine but it runs like a top now with surplus mags.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 12:28:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I have 11 DSA FAL rifles. 7 factory and 4 receivers that had been built from kits. All run perfect. I would have to think hard to find a malfunction after the proper gas setting. I honestly can not think of one.

This is not plinking here and there. I bought thousands of 7.62x51 when I could get it for under a 100 bucks a thousand. Every rifle but one has at least 1000 rounds some considerably more.

I admit these where all early rifles and receivers or in the case of 2 within the last year.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 4:10:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Been thinking about getting a FAL two.

How hard are they to mount optics on?  My eyes are old and don't like irons anymore.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 7:36:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

How hard are they to mount optics on?  My eyes are old and don't like irons anymore.
View Quote

Easiest way is to replace the top cover with either a DSA or ARMS one.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 11:28:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that pretty solid?  I've experimented with AK top cover scope mounts and they all seem pretty wobbly.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Link Posted: 12/7/2020 9:57:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Is that pretty solid?  I've experimented with AK top cover scope mounts and they all seem pretty wobbly.

View Quote

Yes its solid
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 10:09:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’ve used both.
The dsa has screws all around that lock it in place.
I’m now using the Arms one and it’s a press fit only but it’s rock solid.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 8:33:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Just watched a documentary about the Falkland Islands War and now I'm really jones'n for an FAL.

I guess DSA doesn't make an L1A1 lookalike, do they?

Guessing the versions DSA sells are not the same as an L1A1?
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 9:15:15 PM EDT
[#19]
My DSA factory Para has been flawless. I had a minor issue with a couple stripped receivers, which DSA barreled while paying for return shipping. My 30 round mags have been great; a couple issues with the 20 rounders, although that seems to not to be an issue once the feed lips are smoothed out.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 6:08:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Just watched a documentary about the Falkland Islands War and now I'm really jones'n for an FAL.

I guess DSA doesn't make an L1A1 lookalike, do they?

Guessing the versions DSA sells are not the same as an L1A1?
View Quote

You get into the weeds there with the L1A1.

There exists two main variants of the FAL: the so-called "metric" and "inch" patterns.  Commonwealth nations (UK, Canada, Australia, etc) built guns off the inch pattern, which basically converted the metric measurements to Imperial ones.  Most of continental Europe used the metric-pattern.  I think the majority of surplus FALs have been metric, given the prevalence of anti-gun tards in Commonwealth nations to send their old guns to their respective Captain Crunches.

DSA primarily makes metric guns--they bought the blueprints and tooling from Steyr for the STG-58 FAL, hence the DSA SA-58.  They've got a good FAQ item on #1 with pictures on some of the more significant differences.  They do occasional runes of inch-pattern receivers and some of their US parts, but they haven't done a complete inch rifle in a long time.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 8:40:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Mine has given me no issues.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 6:46:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Mine has given me no issues.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/17/2020 1:41:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Just brought this home, plan to run about 100 rounds or so Friday and can update you. For what it’s worth it Looks good and feels good though. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 8:02:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Anyone built one in 6.5?
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Max is 3 boxes of 308 right now so took that since I didn’t want to mess with what ammo I have left. 150 rounds of mag tech with the mag it came with as my surplus ones aren’t in yet and no issues, Felt great, really hope I can get out to do some 200-300 yards shots soon. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 12:44:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Most of the new DSA rifles also now come with chrome lined barrels
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 5:07:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Attachment Attached File

My newest build. With a type two lower to match.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:18:55 PM EDT
[#28]
I maybe purchasing my first FAL type tomorrow. An SA58 improved battle rifle. Is this particular version good to go as far as reliability, especially in conjunction with the polymer magazines that DSA has for sale?

I guess I've heard the same concerns that  others have mentioned  in this thread about DSA's past history concerning build quality and reliability.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:33:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I maybe purchasing my first FAL type tomorrow. An SA58 improved battle rifle. Is this particular version good to go as far as reliability, especially in conjunction with the polymer magazines that DSA has for sale?

I guess I've heard the same concerns that  others have mentioned  in this thread about DSA's past history concerning build quality and reliability.
View Quote

There was a time where I think their QC was a bit spotty, but the newest ones seem good to go again.  The fit and finish on them is great, and honestly better than the FN examples.  The issues tend to be with little things like the megs and some small parts breakages from what I've seen.  I've had 3 of their guns.  Two ran great, one did not but after reading about the mag issues I'll chalk it up to that.  My current SA58 is a 2020 model year gun and it's ran phenomenally.

The thing I will say is even if you get unlucky and get a bad one DS Arms has PHENOMENAL customer service.  I'm talking Ruger level good.  So even if you did happen to get one with some sort of issue they will absolutely take care of you.  They're great guys.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:23:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:01:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
We had a small period of struggles due to major changes in staff. It was a small period but bad reviews make it look HUGE that’s how reviews work. We’ve sold over 40k FAL with an extremely low rate of problems. I have a current production cast receiver rifle and I shit you not it’s the finest DSA FAL I have owned. My older DSAs are all great running guns but the newest production rifles have the cleanest machining , best fit and best accuracy of all my DSAs.
View Quote

Any idea when some of your 922r parts are coming back in stock? Trigger group, charging handle, gas piston, ect.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:14:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:02:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Just sign up for notifications it’s an extremely tough manufacturing environment right now trying to please everyone
View Quote

How far are you backlogged? I ordered an OSW in Sep and am curious if the times have been pushed from 4 months to longer.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:13:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Eagerly awaiting stock availability on a Jungle Warrior Para.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:31:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

The new polymer mags I bought from them won’t hold a single round. I put one round in, it pops out. Load any number of rounds in the mag and they do the same thing. If I manage to get the rounds to stay in a mag, when I insert the mag into the gun they pop out. The mags are just too flimsy.

If your gun has the railed top cover, check and make sure the screws are loctited. I almost made it through the first mag, not the bad polymer mags, in my factory OSW SBR and one of the screws for the top cover came loose. The “nut” on the inside locked up the gun and munched the recoil spring. All the top cover screws were loose enough for me to turn with a finger. I ordered a new recoil assembly from ARS. Those screws are a huge pain in the ass to set correctly where they are tight enough, but still loose enough to let the cover slide off.

TLDR: Don’t waste your money on the plastic mags and check the top cover screws.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:29:55 AM EDT
[#36]
I owned a carbine, ran great later on sold it. I then ordered a factory SBR OSW
shoots good, havent ran over 1K rounds through it and the folding stock cracked
where it bolts to the receiver. Tried to get them to fix it but dont even respond.
Wont ever buy another DSA due to their poor Cust service.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:36:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The new polymer mags I bought from them won’t hold a single round. I put one round in, it pops out. Load any number of rounds in the mag and they do the same thing. If I manage to get the rounds to stay in a mag, when I insert the mag into the gun they pop out. The mags are just too flimsy.

If your gun has the railed top cover, check and make sure the screws are loctited. I almost made it through the first mag, not the bad polymer mags, in my factory OSW SBR and one of the screws for the top cover came loose. The “nut” on the inside locked up the gun and munched the recoil spring. All the top cover screws were loose enough for me to turn with a finger. I ordered a new recoil assembly from ARS. Those screws are a huge pain in the ass to set correctly where they are tight enough, but still loose enough to let the cover slide off.

TLDR: Don’t waste your money on the plastic mags and check the top cover screws.
View Quote

That's odd.  I have 4 of their new polymer mags and they all work great.  Very tight fitting and they hold rounds.  I just tried dropping one a couple times and no rounds popped out of it.  Is it the brand new ones or their other style polymer ones with the ribbing on them?  The newer non-ribbed ones are the ones I have.  Their older polymer ones had lots of issues from what I understand, but their brand new ones they just came out with seem good to go.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:26:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That's odd.  I have 4 of their new polymer mags and they all work great.  Very tight fitting and they hold rounds.  I just tried dropping one a couple times and no rounds popped out of it.  Is it the brand new ones or their other style polymer ones with the ribbing on them?  The newer non-ribbed ones are the ones I have.  Their older polymer ones had lots of issues from what I understand, but their brand new ones they just came out with seem good to go.
View Quote

They’re the new model - 11720-P-A.

I bought them in May of 2020.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:02:27 PM EDT
[#39]

That's odd.  I wonder if it was a bad batch or something?  I got mine earlier this month and they've ran well.  They were real tight fitting at first but broke in after a few cycles.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 8:29:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

How far are you backlogged? I ordered an OSW in Sep and am curious if the times have been pushed from 4 months to longer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just sign up for notifications it’s an extremely tough manufacturing environment right now trying to please everyone

Came in yesterday.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Can someone school me on the receiver material? I understand the new ones are cast and are good, and there are forged options. I have an SA58 carbine (regular gas system with ~16" barrel) from the mid 1990s. What where the old receivers from DS Arms made from back then?
What about the upper receivers? Have the DSA always been aluminum and FN ones were steel?
I'd like get a 21" barrel version just because they look right to me like that. Or rebarrel mine.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:25:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Can someone school me on the receiver material? I understand the new ones are cast and are good, and there are forged options. I have an SA58 carbine (regular gas system with ~16" barrel) from the mid 1990s. What where the old receivers from DS Arms made from back then?
What about the upper receivers? Have the DSA always been aluminum and FN ones were steel?
I'd like get a 21" barrel version just because they look right to me like that. Or rebarrel mine.
View Quote

Not sure what the older ones were... I want to say part kit builds?

In the early 2000s the receivers were forged and made by LMT for a while.

Now DSA makes everything in-house.  The current upper receivers are cast and machined 4140 steel (optional forged uppers are available).  The lower trigger housing is machined 7075-T6 aluminum.  The dust cover is stamped steel.  If you get the Extreme Duty dust cover it is 7075-T6 aluminum and is much beefier than the stamped cover.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#43]
From my reading those that didn’t run right DSA warranty would remedy is that not correct?
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Not sure what the older ones were... I want to say part kit builds?

In the early 2000s the receivers were forged and made by LMT for a while.

Now DSA makes everything in-house.  The current upper receivers are cast and machined 4140 steel (optional forged uppers are available).  The lower trigger housing is machined 7075-T6 aluminum.  The dust cover is stamped steel.  If you get the Extreme Duty dust cover it is 7075-T6 aluminum and is much beefier than the stamped cover.
View Quote

Thanks, I know it's not a parts build. At the time they had the SA58 and also the Voyager series which used surplus parts. For a while I was thinking of just going AR-10, for weight and optics mount ease. Then I thought about just leaving the FAL in moth balls for now since .308 is so $$ to shoot these days and just move to 5.56 and 7.62x39. But now it's a nearly a buck per trigger pull regardless of caliber. I wish I bought more of those ZA battle packs when they were $80/200rds.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 5:34:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Thanks, I know it's not a parts build. At the time they had the SA58 and also the Voyager series which used surplus parts. For a while I was thinking of just going AR-10, for weight and optics mount ease. Then I thought about just leaving the FAL in moth balls for now since .308 is so $$ to shoot these days and just move to 5.56 and 7.62x39. But now it's a nearly a buck per trigger pull regardless of caliber. I wish I bought more of those ZA battle packs when they were $80/200rds.
View Quote

Were you able to get in on the recent Hirtenberger import?  DSA, Max Arms, and AIM all had it.  I was able to get a few hundred rounds for less than the same amount of 5.56 seems to go for these days, on chargers, in bandoliers, in a can.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 10:04:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Were you able to get in on the recent Hirtenberger import?  DSA, Max Arms, and AIM all had it.  I was able to get a few hundred rounds for less than the same amount of 5.56 seems to go for these days, on chargers, in bandoliers, in a can.
View Quote

Yeah I got a 400rd box of them.  Good looking ammo.  I put 20 rounds through my SA58 and it ran flawless.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 11:03:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

I missed out. I was buying cheap 7.62x39. I just realized most of my battle packs are Portuguese that I bought in the 90s and I believe I paid $45/200 (?) so I'm spoiled. I have a variety, Hirtenberger, Radway Green, Port., etc. If I set my gas port for the stuff actually labled .308 which recoils a bit harder, I then have to close it up 1/2 or 1 click to get the 7.62 NATO stuff to eject the same way. IIRC the Hirtenberger is soft shooting. This is with a 16" barrel for now. I suspect a 21" barrel would be affected less.

On the original topic, my Google research led me to DS Arms FALs with serial numbers with a DS prefix are forged receivers, DSA 28388 and below are also forged. They do currently offer forged receivers, but from what I can gather the current machined cast receivers are just fine if you want to save some money.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 12:00:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I missed out. I was buying cheap 7.62x39. I just realized most of my battle packs are Portuguese that I bought in the 90s and I believe I paid $45/200 (?) so I'm spoiled. I have a variety, Hirtenberger, Radway Green, Port., etc. If I set my gas port for the stuff actually labled .308 which recoils a bit harder, I then have to close it up 1/2 or 1 click to get the 7.62 NATO stuff to eject the same way. IIRC the Hirtenberger is soft shooting. This is with a 16" barrel for now. I suspect a 21" barrel would be affected less.

On the original topic, my Google research led me to DS Arms FALs with serial numbers with a DS prefix are forged receivers, DSA 28388 and below are also forged. They do currently offer forged receivers, but from what I can gather the current machined cast receivers are just fine if you want to save some money.
View Quote

I don't think most people can even shoot out a cast receiver in a lifetime unless you're dumping rounds through the thing monthly.  I had read somewhere the cast receivers are good for 40-60k rounds.  My biggest thing keeping me from getting them for the longest time was the barrel.  They were just cut rifled 4140 and not finished with anything, so you could blow through a barrel in about 8k rounds on one.  The new SA58s all have 4150 mil-spec chrome lined barrels, which is what got me to finally get one.  With the new chrome lined barrels they'll probably go about 20k rounds now before needing a re-barrel.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 12:33:05 PM EDT
[#49]
By the time I approach 40k with my FAL I'll be looking to have my shoulder reconstructed.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 6:49:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
From my reading those that didn’t run right DSA warranty would remedy is that not correct?
View Quote

DSA's warranty work, for me, has been tops. Granted, the issues should not have occurred in the first place, but all turned out well.

The first two R1 receivers I bought from them shortly after those were released was that the cutout for the locking shoulder dogleg was ~.010" too short. The first one I didn't catch until the dogleg on the locking shoulder was shorn off; the second one I knew to measure beforehand. DSA sent a return label for the barrel and receiver, barreled and headspace in-house, and I got back working barreled uppers. I just got another R1 receiver, so I'll make noise if there are issues with it, but, with a preliminary check, everything seems to be in-order.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top