Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2020 8:24:09 PM EDT
I have a Century L1A1 sporter. Its an L1A1 on an unmarked receiver, maybe an argentine. Uses inch charging handle and metric mags. Receiver seems well made. Original barrel cut down to 16.5 inch. When I got it, it was over gassed but I welded the gas port and redrilled, now it shoots nicely.

I am thinking of painting it the Rhodesian colors. Is this heretical on an L1A1? I read that some L1A1s where used in Rhodesia. Should I buy an Imbel kit and build that to paint instead? The guns is a Century Mutt with a chopped barrel so it doesn't have any historical significant as is.

What says the hive, Paint it or Leave it be?
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 12:48:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Some of the L1A1s in Rhodesian service got painted, some did not.  I think after a time they were mainly relegated to police and rear-echelon units.  They had both British and Aussie ones (mostly British, though), and also a small number of Indian 1A1 rifles.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 2:30:21 AM EDT
[#2]
It's your rifle, paint it.  You should also build an Imbel.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 9:30:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I think I will order a barreled Imbel kit. What type receiver is correct for a Imbel Rifle that would have ended up in Rhodesia? I have a Mag 58 kit coming which is going to become a Rhodesia themed semi auto build. This is what got me thinking about painting my rifle. I also have enough parts to build a G3 that I could paint too.

I have a PSA Israeli kit and managed to get a DSA Israeli receiver however the correct barrels are hard to get right now.

Ill paint my L1A1. Going to lowes tonight to get the colors listed in this thread: https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/My_new_Rhodie_paint_job___/7-363986/
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 3:53:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think I will order a barreled Imbel kit. What type receiver is correct for a Imbel Rifle that would have ended up in Rhodesia? I have a Mag 58 kit coming which is going to become a Rhodesia themed semi auto build. This is what got me thinking about painting my rifle. I also have enough parts to build a G3 that I could paint too.

I have a PSA Israeli kit and managed to get a DSA Israeli receiver however the correct barrels are hard to get right now.

Ill paint my L1A1. Going to lowes tonight to get the colors listed in this thread: https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/My_new_Rhodie_paint_job___/7-363986/
View Quote

The IMBELs did not arrive in the country until after Rhodesia had fallen.  I think the new Zimbabwean government ordered them.  Closest thing would be an imported IMBEL receiver.  No one makes or imported a genuine Type 3 receiver to the best of my knowledge (the IMBEL imports have the lines of the Type 4, even though they are not cast, unlike the FNs), and that is the type that would still have been in use at the time (I've seen photos of the IMBEL receivers removed from kits from Zimbabwe; there are crates of them in Europe).
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#5]
SLR's were the front-line rifle during the early part of the conflict prior to '68. After that, the South African R1 was made the standard, and the L1A1 relegated to some BSAP units, as well as INTAF and Guard Force. As Bigstick stated, some were painted, but most weren't. Your choice. If you have a Dunn Edwards paint store in your area, they have the best match to the original paints, and it's way more durable than the Dupont Centari. If you were in AZ, I'd give you some of mine.

Rhodesian FN's could have Type 1, Type 1.5, and Type 2 upper receivers, with 1.5's (SA R1) being the most prevalent by far.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 7:58:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
SLR's were the front-line rifle during the early part of the conflict prior to '68. After that, the South African R1 was made the standard, and the L1A1 relegated to some BSAP units, as well as INTAF and Guard Force. As Bigstick stated, some were painted, but most weren't. Your choice. If you have a Dunn Edwards paint store in your area, they have the best match to the original paints, and it's way more durable than the Dupont Centari. If you were in AZ, I'd give you some of mine.

Rhodesian FN's could have Type 1, Type 1.5, and Type 2 upper receivers, with 1.5's (SA R1) being the most prevalent by far.
View Quote

I've seen photos of Type 3 FNs as well.

Is the Dunn Edwards paint available in matte?  Color codes?
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 9:56:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought some paint at the local lowes. They didn't carry anything oil based but they had a water based enamel. Colors turned out great but the paint is crap and doesnt stick to metal. I found the lowes down the road does carry valspar oil based enamel so I'll be trying that.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 10:04:41 AM EDT
[#8]
It was a lot of fun to paint. I love the result. Too bad I have to strip it off and start over.

Link Posted: 10/24/2020 10:34:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It was a lot of fun to paint. I love the result. Too bad I have to strip it off and start over.

https://i.imgur.com/fHgwO4q.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/R2jnCUV.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/37sMlKB.jpg
View Quote

That's pretty much the FAL of my daydreams (assuming it has a FH you haven't put on it yet)
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 10:54:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Its Threaded 9/16 - 24 RH. I have the original L1A1 flash hider but I would like to get something shorter. Left it off for painting.

Painting was really fun. Didn't take to long. I kinda just painted it and didn't worry about it being perfect. Very relaxing activity. When I got both colors on, I put plastic grocery bags on my hands and felt the rifle up a bit to mess up the paint a bit.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Its Threaded 9/16 - 24 RH. I have the original L1A1 flash hider but I would like to get something shorter. Left it off for painting.

Painting was really fun. Didn't take to long. I kinda just painted it and didn't worry about it being perfect. Very relaxing activity. When I got both colors on, I put plastic grocery bags on my hands and felt the rifle up a bit to mess up the paint a bit.
View Quote
Get some pics of the final product

and leave the long FH as a placeholder
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 9:44:47 AM EDT
[#12]
@jtstalker

I don't get to play this card often But it's my birthday. I want the pic. If you have a chest rig to lay it across that would be better.

if you have a hot woman to wear short shorts and a brushstroke top to pose with it, that would be the best present I get.

oh, since your at it tell me about your swing state Trump votes.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 11:00:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I stripped the paint off already. It all pealed right off. I went to another lowes and found the valspar rust armor oil based enamel but they didn't have the right base for the darker color. I'll need to order some paint I guess.

You will just need to imagine a flash hider for now. Sorry I dont have a chest rig or short shorts to wear for you. I promise to make it up for you when I build a real rhodesian mag58. Kit is coming monday and I should have a video showing the kit in a day. Building it looks relatively straight forward.

Yesterday I went to a mini pop up trump rally at the street corner. Waved my trump flag. Lots of positive honks and thumbs up. A few deranged liberals yelled, cursed and flipped me off.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 2:44:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll have to live with this.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 8:34:04 AM EDT
[#15]
After I get my Imbel kit built at ARS I’m going to use the paint kit I ordered to do my PTR91 to match the FAL Mark is assembling.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd love to see those pictures.

The DE paints are available in matte. I'll get the codes off the cans later.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 10:50:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Dunn Edwards Aristoshield Interior/Exterior S/G (not sure what the 'S/G' means) paint codes:

DEA 171 Bay Leaf (I)
DEA 181 Refined Green

Link Posted: 10/27/2020 2:09:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't have a dunn edwards. I just called Sherwin williams and they said they have oil based enamel in quart sizes that they can mix colors for me. They should be able to cross reference the lowes colors I have. Ill stop there tomorrow to get some. Looks like $20 a quart.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 10:47:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 11:27:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Painted FALs rock!

Historical recreations or not!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2604/20200331_220237-1344371.jpg

View Quote

I remember that pic from way back.

Is the FAL buried under a barbecue now?
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 5:02:21 AM EDT
[#21]

With the exception of the need to drill and tap the receiver, and the rail perhaps not extending as far to the rear as I'd like, I really like those mounts.  SAN Parks Rangers use those on some of their rifles.  Seems like they'd save some weight over the DSA ones while still being fairly solid and providing greater ease of maintenance.  Your rifles definitely caught my eyes in the FAL picture thread.

I'm still debating whether or not to paint this one, whether in Rhodie colors or some other combination of colors; I'm kinda liking the finish wear it's been developing, though.  It gets used enough to show a good bit of wear, even though almost all of the metal parts are either refinished or NOS.

Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:00:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:15:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

How have you been my friend? Hope all is well down your way!
View Quote
Things are Pretty good, just had a little storm to keep things interesting.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 11:49:05 AM EDT
[#24]

repainted using Sherwin Williams oil based enamel Satin. Colors looks a lot brighter then the last paint. Paint also sticks better.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 10:18:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/mljk7EV.jpg?1

repainted using Sherwin Williams oil based enamel Satin. Colors looks a lot brighter then the last paint. Paint also sticks better.
View Quote

Tempted to paint an A5 shotgun
No idea where I'd source the correct type/colour paint though
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 2:14:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Tempted to paint an A5 shotgun
No idea where I'd source the correct type/colour paint though
View Quote

Boom!
https://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/product/fal-rhodesian-pattern-camo-paint-set/
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 7:36:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Much better imo
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 10:13:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you happen to have the Sherwin Williams paint codes?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 8:35:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Rhodie FN FAL and the 2021 Communist Safari

Here he painting his FAL

Rhodesian soldiers camouflaged their FAL’s with this ugly paint. Part 1

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top