Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/4/2017 4:07:03 PM EDT
I'm curious how many of you use a FAL as a primary rifle?  Do you also have some sort of AR10 or Scar-H?
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 4:29:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots of photos of dudes armed with FALs during the Katrina fiasco.

The FAL is robust, accurate [enough], and it's absolutely viable in
todays gee-whiz shit firearms environment.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 4:32:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 4:34:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Commie killing machine.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 4:50:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree it'll get the job done, but have any of you selected it over an AR, AK, Scar, etc as your primary go-to rifle?
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 5:06:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I had one but it just never grew on me.

I see them around but I stayed with my SBR.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 5:34:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Good platform, still viable. Needs minor upgrades. Lightweight lower, modern furniture/optics.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 5:41:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Would rather have my 6.5 Grendel AR. I have a FAL, haven't fired it in years. Before the prevalence of cheap .308 ARs it had a place. These days, not so much. They are cool historically, but no longer cheap... which was the niche they filled.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 5:48:15 PM EDT
[#8]
There is a reason that every military that can afford to, has switched to 5.56 or 5.45mm rifles.

the FAL is a classic, as is the M14, but they are the 57 chevy of rifles.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Brazil violence: Murders on the rise in Rio de Janeiro
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 6:58:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Definitely viable. You can't carry as much ammunition as the guy with a 5.56 in a stand-up infantry fight, but stand-up infantry fights are currently rare in CONUS.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#11]
My experience seems to be unique. I had a DSA SA58 Para Elite with a 16" fluted barrel. I bought it for the FAL's legendary reliability and DSA's good reputation. I was looking for something heavy-duty and extremely reliable for post-hurricane and/or future shtf type scenarios (lived in FL). 

First of all, after a few hundred rounds, a casing got stuck in the chamber and wouldn't budge. In pulling the charging handle to attempt to extract the casing, the charging handle BROKE OFF! It was some cast aluminum or pot metal garbage that was disappointing to see on such a supposedly heavy-duty (and relatively pricey) rifle. Talked to DSA and they sent a replacement that was ... made of steel. Much better. 

Fast forward a little bit - from what I understand, in order to facilitate a railed top cover, DSA had to redesign the Recoil Guide Rod (?) and the current design seems to break. 

During normal shooting at the range, the recoil rod broke, rendering the rifle inoperable. It is just a little metal tail and it broke off completely. Back to DSA, who sent a new one immediately for free. Great CS.

Attachment Attached File

Then it broke again. Same part, same place. I wasn't running a suppressor or doing anything crazy with it. A cursory google search indicated that I wasn't the only one having the problem. DSA happily replaced it again, but I never shot it again. I installed the new recoil rod and sold the gun because I couldn't trust it. I owned it for less than a year, and having 3 show-stopping failures was really disappointing. 

I don't know if DSA's attempt to modernize the classic gun is where it went wrong, but for me, the DSA FAL was just not at all what I was expecting. 

My SCAR 17 sbr, on the other hand, has given me exactly zero problems and has been awesome in every way. It eats all ammo, never complains, and never breaks. On top of everything else, it weighs POUNDS less than the FAL did (or at least it feels that way), so it's really a win win win all around. 

Link Posted: 6/4/2017 7:13:34 PM EDT
[#12]
It certainly is still viable.  It's also my go-to rifle, but I don't own many self-loaders and don't own an AR-15.  Eventually, I plan on doing a lightweight build.  With the right parts you can get a FAL under 8 lbs.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 7:14:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My experience seems to be unique. I had a DSA SA58 Para Elite with a 16" fluted barrel. I bought it for the FAL's legendary reliability and DSA's good reputation. I was looking for something heavy-duty and extremely reliable for post-hurricane and/or future shtf type scenarios (lived in FL). 
http://willandmeans.com/images/FAL/IMG_0561.JPG

First of all, after a few hundred rounds, a casing got stuck in the chamber and wouldn't budge. In pulling the charging handle to attempt to extract the casing, the charging handle BROKE OFF! It was some cast aluminum or pot metal garbage that was disappointing to see on such a supposedly heavy-duty (and relatively pricey) rifle. Talked to DSA and they sent a replacement that was ... made of steel. Much better. 

http://willandmeans.com/images/FAL/IMG_0548.JPG

Fast forward a little bit - from what I understand, in order to facilitate a railed top cover, DSA had to redesign the Recoil Guide Rod (?) and the current design seems to break. 

During normal shooting at the range, the recoil rod broke, rendering the rifle inoperable. It is just a little metal tail and it broke off completely. Back to DSA, who sent a new one immediately for free. Great CS.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/435611/12342-1--223292.JPG 

Then it broke again. Same part, same place. I wasn't running a suppressor or doing anything crazy with it. A cursory google search indicated that I wasn't the only one having the problem. DSA happily replaced it again, but I never shot it again. I installed the new recoil rod and sold the gun because I couldn't trust it. I owned it for less than a year, and having 3 show-stopping failures was really disappointing. 

I don't know if DSA's attempt to modernize the classic gun is where it went wrong, but for me, the DSA FAL was just not at all what I was expecting. 

I ended up with a SCAR 17 sbr which has given me exactly zero problems in the last few years I've had it. It eats all ammo, never complains, and never breaks. On top of everything else, it weighs POUNDS less than the FAL did (or at least it feels that way), so it's really a win win win all around. 
View Quote
The problem with DSA's FALs is DSA.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 7:21:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah the FAL is a great weapon, however I would agree the FN SCAR 17 is the better modern battle rifle. The only thing I like better is the FAL has a better folding para steel stock compared to the rather flimsy plastic SCAR stock.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 5:06:33 AM EDT
[#15]
It's viable, but outdated. You'll notice this in the form of weight if you attempt to upgrade it with optics and IR lasers and stuff (or just rails for those things). Without that extra weight, in the daytime... sure, it's fine then.

Like Daggertt pointed out, when you use a DSA optics cover you're subjecting your reliability to their parts and leaving the well-proven mil-spec parts behind (on a Para anyway. I think the fixed-stock version lets you keep the rat tail). I just use irons on mine. It's not setup for night fighting. Night fighting is important these days though, so that's why it isn't my primary.

My Rhodesian folder is aluminum. I thought most were. Maybe steel folders are out there too?

I'd go with a SCAR 17 or .308 AR type as top picks in 7.62x51 because the weight is lower and they're much friendlier to accessorize. Also they don't suffer from the vertical stringing the FAL is semi-notorious for.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:03:11 AM EDT
[#16]
It would appear we're all in general agreement.  The FAL was a great design ... for its time ... and it would still get the job done, but there are better options now.

The SCAR-17 was transformative design. It pivoted 7.62x51mm from "battle rifle" to "assault rifle" (yes, I know..improper use of the phrase but view it contextually here) with greater lethality.

The FAL design / construction has some notable positive attributes.  For example, replacing the FCG is far easier than it is in the Scar series.  FAL maintenance is easier too (I keep a small allen wrench stuck through an earplug in the stock of my Scar for removing the gas piston...stick it through a ventilation slot and let the carrier hit the allen wrench...will pop the piston out the front...since they're hard to remove from a fouled rifle).  For maintenaence it is a lot easier to pull the top/dust cover off the FAL to obtain full access to the upper.  The inside of a Scar upper is pretty hard to clean.

IMO the FAL is to the Scar what the AK is to the AR.  They both perform a similar function, but one does so with much greater attention to modern "improvements" (e.g. optics mounting, etc).

ETA: I asked because I'm trying to decide if I should sell my preban Springfield SAR-48.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 1:36:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I wouldn't feel the least bit out gunned with this thing at hand.

Link Posted: 6/5/2017 6:01:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I like my FAL rifles, my Rhodie FN is my favorite but the barrel is pretty worn so accuracy suffers some. My STG58 is the nicest one I own. I don't shoot but a few hundred rounds a year through them. I bought them because I always wanted one and a grew up reading SOF They can do the job but there are better systems out there now.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 6:24:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Over 90 countries did not pick a crappy rifle design.

Is it a little outdated yes. But the days of shooting iron sights are gone. Trilux scopes are awesome on FAL. But they went away with the FAL and the people how have them are not letting them go

DSA does have the railed hand guards if you want.

I am a more traditional style guy so I like the FAL without the extra crap hanging off of it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 9:03:06 AM EDT
[#20]
I wouldn't feel outgunned with a FAL.  It's simple and ergonomic enough for me, although I shoot better with a M14 type rifle.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 9:38:16 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a M1...
Guess that makes me a Ford Model A owner

P.S.
GEToff my lawn.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 3:26:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 11:35:36 PM EDT
[#23]
I have assembled four kit Fals and bought one AR10.  FALS were cheap and reliable 15 years ago and the AR10 cost about 2 FALS to buy.  I heard a SCAR is about three FALS in cost.  I'd still see the FAL as a reliable weapon for defensive positions but money can get you a better and lighter assault setup.  

I am only a couch commando who enjoys making steel sing with cheap surplus ammo.  FALs still do that pretty well with iron sights and big man size targets.  I also enjoy the scoped AR10 for easier hits.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 12:26:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Seriously considered a short FAL as of late ...... or a M1A SOCOM CQB. 
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 1:55:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have assembled four kit Fals and bought one AR10.  FALS were cheap and reliable 15 years ago and the AR10 cost about 2 FALS to buy.  I heard a SCAR is about three FALS in cost.  I'd still see the FAL as a reliable weapon for defensive positions but money can get you a better and lighter assault setup.  

I am only a couch commando who enjoys making steel sing with cheap surplus ammo.  FALs still do that pretty well with iron sights and big man size targets.  I also enjoy the scoped AR10 for easier hits.
View Quote
That depends on the FAL. My DSA cost about as much as the Scar did (the model I had seems to have been discontinued, but here's an example of what was a killer price on it). 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 3:28:10 PM EDT
[#26]
I would not hesitate to grab my FALs for any serious situations. In fact, I have a chest rig I can throw over my PC so I can carry mags for the PARA. It's an obsolete design that has been surpassed by more modular systems, but it is still certainly viable. Optics are easy to add, reliability is second-to-none, user-serviceability and ease-of-maintenance is still hard to beat, parts and mags are still available, and it will be able to hit man-sized targets within any practical range.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#27]
5.56 AR is a better choice. A FAL would work. So too a Garand. Or Winchester 30-30.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 9:07:01 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't see why not. I'm still new to the FAL but from what I can tell the only negatives for it are:

1. Ammo cost
2. Ammo weight
3. Lack of magazines
4. Lack of good accesssories

Otherwise it isn't any more outdated or antiquated as an AK, M1A and so on and they're still going strong. Hell the AK has had a bit of rejuvenation here lately. 
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Lack of magazines?  Really?
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 9:40:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Yeah I think there are still plenty of good mags out there. They're not as plentiful as they once were, obviously, but I have enough to last me the rest of my life.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 10:22:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Lack of magazines?  Really?
View Quote
Yeah, really. If I have scour classifieds to find magazines then that, to me, is a lack of magazines. Not to mention we are happy to find and pay double or more(compared to other platforms) for used surplus and hope it's not too beat to shit. 

For new magazines you're left with NOS, Korean junk, Dubious DSA and a guy who seems to have a made golden goose of a magazine but, by all accounts I've read, can't ship them to save his life.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 5:27:28 AM EDT
[#32]
I've never paid more than $15 for a magazine other than hiduminium ones, to include recent purchases (when I still had an AZ address). I can't just get them at the store, but that's true for most types of rifle magazines. They are easy to find, IME. I suppose YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 12:14:53 AM EDT
[#33]
I think FALs are still relevant as a combat rifle.  You can get lighter rifles, more accurate rifles, cheaper rifles, and more reliable rifles, but not all at the same time.  .308 isn't as light as .223, but one could make a decent argument that it provides more versatility for the typical civilian firearm owner.  I just like the mechanics and ergonomics of FALs, while not being bothered by the weight.  I'm not very relevant to combat, so a rifle which my lack slightly in this regard doesn't constitute a handicap.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 8:56:46 PM EDT
[#34]
I really like the simplicity of the design.  I'm still struggling with my decision....keep or sell my preban?!?!
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 9:20:10 PM EDT
[#35]
99% of people with semi-auto rifles will never use them in self defense. Those that do, most won't be undergunned with a FAL.

That said, an AR is my go to, so...
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 4:50:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I really like the simplicity of the design.  I'm still struggling with my decision....keep or sell my preban?!?!
View Quote
The market is terrible right now. Regardless, I'd keep it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 9:15:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The market is terrible right now. Regardless, I'd keep it.
View Quote
I know I should.  I'm trying to simplify and focus on just shooting / improving my primary arms (AR and SCAR).  I may wait for the soft market to harden a little.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 5:48:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Still plenty happy with my various FALs. Depending on what's happening, they can still be go-to rifles, even with AR/AK/etc at hand.

Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:38:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Still plenty happy with my various FALs. Depending on what's happening, they can still be go-to rifles, even with AR/AK/etc at hand.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/73254/Mine-resize-1024-137184.jpg
View Quote
BOOM!!!!

Head shot !

Thread over.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:57:38 PM EDT
[#40]
One of my favorite shooting rifles but if the SHTF I'd grab my AR10 over the FAL, and I'd grab my AR15 over the 10.  More ammo, lighter, faster follow up shots, etc.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a highly accurized FAL set up as a SPR. I think the weight and size make it better in this role than a carry rifle.
No matter what new rifles come out a FAL is still a great rifle for many reasons and newer rifles really have nothing special compared to a FAL.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 2:34:21 AM EDT
[#42]
The really un-special thing about the FAL is its tilting bolt, which is known to cause vertical stringing as a 20 round magazine empties (and the resultant pressure against the bolt changes). 

What average group sizes do you get out of your highly accurized FAL?
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 11:51:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:  The really un-special thing about the FAL is its tilting bolt, which is known to cause vertical stringing as a 20 round magazine empties (and the resultant pressure against the bolt changes). 

View Quote
Did the BREN have similar issues?
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:48:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Did the BREN have similar issues?
View Quote
The Bren being an LMG/automatic rifle, I doubt that it would be much of an issue. The SVT-38/40 certainly exhibited the same problem and was thus withdrawn from sniper use. Strangely, I've never heard of the MAS Mle. 49 series exhibiting this problem.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 4:04:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Really nice! But I got to ask, what is the weight on that?
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:58:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The really un-special thing about the FAL is its tilting bolt, which is known to cause vertical stringing as a 20 round magazine empties (and the resultant pressure against the bolt changes). 

View Quote
I've yet to see that in a FAL that didn't require some sort of part to be repaired or replaced, and which stopped once the issue was dealt with.  Neither of mine have had the issue.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:30:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nice rifle. Which manufacture and height adapter did you use to mount the ACR stock?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:01:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Nice rifle. Which manufacture and height adapter did you use to mount the ACR stock?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure that he's using the adapter made by tbasmwmc on the FAL Files, although I don't believe he's making them anymore.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:42:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Really nice! But I got to ask, what is the weight on that?
View Quote
With scope, full 20 round mag, sling, etc....12.75 pounds. I've got it set up with the Hiduminium mags, Al lower, etc. If it was all steel...heavier, but at just under 13# as it sits, I'm good with it. If I pulled the scope (17.4 oz, mount xx ounces, etc) off, and played the manufacturers weight game, I could probably get it around 9.5 pounds.

So, well within AR10 range, about a pound more than a SCAR that's got the same things on it, etc. Not too shabby for almost all metal. Come to think of it, a regular para stock might well be lighter. But much less comfortable.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:46:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure that he's using the adapter made by tbasmwmc on the FAL Files, although I don't believe he's making them anymore.
View Quote
That's a "high" adapter in the above pic.
Here's one maybe: http://www.fnfal.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414564

Or you might try Lucky Irishman Firearms
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top