User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2012 6:51:49 PM EDT
Any one out there own both an FAL and AR 10, or has anyone sold their
FALs to get an AR10?  I am considering selling my 2 FALs w/ numerous mags
To get a piston operated AR10

Feed back please.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 7:19:49 PM EDT
[#1]
If I was in your shoes, I would sell 1 and save the rest to get the AR10. Nothing wrong with having both and not regretting selling off both FALs later.

Sounds like you are itching for a change though. I have been there and regretted selling something to get another instead of just waiting and having both.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 7:26:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't, as the FAL's accuracy is more than enough for its intended purpose. There are a ton of FAL magazines and parts in this country so keeping one running isn't an issue. Unless you're planning on running a big scope and shooting prone most of the time, I don't see an AR-10 as having an advantage over a FAL. Even then, why go with a piston if long-range target shooting will be your main activity with this rifle?

Sounds like a solution in search of a problem to me, but do what you want, they're your rifles.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 2:31:59 AM EDT
[#3]
The AR10 may or may not run well right out of the box. Can you live without a 308 rifle while you tinker with the AR10? If not keep an FN FAL for practical use. If you do keep one please post a side by side comparison of your AR10 to the FN FAL. I am sure you are not the only person with this question.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 11:49:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I dont think so.....  I have 4 Armalite AR10's, 3 Rock River 308 AR's, a Sig 716 and two FALS. Every AR10 I own and the ones I know of (friends) all run perfectly. Mags are plentiful, my Sig 716 and CMMG 308 AR take PMAGS 20rnd that cost $19 new and there are lots of them everywhere.  Yes, way more accurate than a FAl and just as much parts availability.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 1:19:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, the ability to run .308 P-Mags does change things a lot!! My limited experience with the AR-10 was back when they only took converted M-14 mags or manufacturer-specific magazines. $20/mag puts the cost of mags well within FAL mag price territory. Who makes a piston-operated AR-10 today?

I say go for it, then.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 4:33:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I sold 2 FAL's to get a AR10 years ago.....

The AR is gone and since then I have built or purchased 5 FALs and am building a 6th one now......

Nuff said....
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 5:46:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well, the ability to run .308 P-Mags does change things a lot!! My limited experience with the AR-10 was back when they only took converted M-14 mags or manufacturer-specific magazines. $20/mag puts the cost of mags well within FAL mag price territory. Who makes a piston-operated AR-10 today?

I say go for it, then.

If funds allow, I'd stick with the piston operated AR .308s.   Or a SCAR 17.  I always upset the DI fanboys when I say it, but I've never owned a DI AR15 that could even come close to besting my AKs or Piston-driven LMT in terms of reliability,  and its well documented that the DI AR .308s are even more finicky.  

LWRCi and PWS are reported to make excellent piston .308's, though they are expensive.   If the SCAR 17 wasn't out, I'd buy one of those two.   However, my FAL does good enough by me for now.  

Link Posted: 8/17/2012 9:57:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I have 3 FALs and 1 M1A (got rid of my other M1A)
Im looking at getting rid of one of my FALs for an AR10 type weapon. However if I only had one FAL I wouldnt get rid of it if its a good build and shooter

PS  I agree with above about pistons
Have 3 AR DI and 3 GP ARs. Pistons are what I prefer.

Some say the piston has more kick, front heavy and less accuracy.

Well, I can tell you my Piston CMMG gets less than 2 inch groups with M193 ball ammo.
As far as kick. it might be a little more backward force but thats part of what makes them more reliable. Thats why an 7 inch upper is better as a piston. Also to fix this I put a heavy 5.6 oz 9mm buffer.
The Piston is far cleaner and more durable.
Front heavy BS isnt really that bad and helps with muzzle rise.

Going to all piston over time with my AR15s. Piston is in general a better system than DI
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 10:24:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I am looking for a battle rifle. My other .308 is an M1A scout and my wife has the NM model.
She is the long range shooter not me.  I prefer the ergonomics of the AR platform over the FAL.
I own 3 AR 15 types love those rifles except for the DI one. It is w/ out a doubt that the AR ergos
Are better than the FAL.  Cash is tight right now, but will get better I
In two years(alimony)

Thanks for the advise guys. Good looking out.
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 8:36:00 AM EDT
[#10]
An AR10 is a fine gun but I like my FAL and accuracy is not an issue with either when set up and worked on properly.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 6:15:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I have decided to go with the Sig 716. It has all the features I am looking for.
Will be posting the Springfield FAL for sale real soon.
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 3:49:21 PM EDT
[#12]
The bushy I purchased in 2000 ran all kinds of ammo without a hiccup.
Hell, it even ate up wolf ammo like candy. I would put 3-4 hundreds rounds through
It at a time.  The reason I bound about the change from FAL to AR 10 is that I am
Trying to gauge the price of my Springfield FAL.  Last time I asked, the moderator
Moved my post to EE.
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 5:21:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 6:02:13 PM EDT
[#14]
No i understand the rules. If I am going to sell. I would like to sell
To someone on this site who would really enjoy it.  Not posting anything
For sale any time soon.
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 6:07:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I have three FALs and a DPMS LR308-TAC, plus a PTR-91. The DPMS "AR10-Type" rifle feels like a fine instrument. I'm sure I wouldn't hurt it, it's just too nice to risk scuffing up. And very accurate. I wouldn't want to rough house with it. Just bench - target shooting.

My FALs; I wouldn't want to carry the heavy barrel Izzy around all day but the Para or the STG-58, no problem. I would feel much more comfortable knocking them around in the woods. They are just very solid in there build. All steel beauties.

Link Posted: 8/21/2012 1:07:25 PM EDT
[#16]
My 2 FALs are rugged and reliable.  The ergonomics of the AR platform
are better.  For me it is the faster mag changings.
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 2:13:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I know when you say "AR10" you mean an AR in .308/7.62mm Cal.

But AR10 is Armalite and its Bolt Carrier is not compatible with other popular .308 AR. Before the AR-10A recent release, all AR-10s use modified M14 mag, so SR25 mag, DPMS mag and Pmag20 cannot be used. Much like the British L1A1 inch pattern not compatible with FN FAL metric pattern.

Since you already have 2 FAL, I think selling one to get a .308 AR is not a bad idea.

for Piston driven 308 AR, you have POF P308 and LWRC REPR, and few other options.
Most other 308 AR are DI Gun.

I have a DSA SA58 and a DPMS pattern 308 AR and it is not that dirty with direct gas system. For accuracy, you really should consider a DI 308 AR.
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 9:44:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

AR mag changes are slightly faster than rock-and-lock magazines if the bolt on the AR is locked back.  For all else, they are the same speed or slower if you want to make sure the magazine is seated properly.

I'm beginning to suspect most people who say that rock-and-lock mags are slower than AR mag changes are familar with ARs and have never put any serious practice into their rock-and-lock reloads.
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 9:45:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

AR mag changes are slightly faster than rock-and-lock magazines if the bolt on the AR is locked back.  For all else, they are the same speed or slower if you want to make sure the magazine is seated properly.

I'm beginning to suspect most people who say that rock-and-lock mags are slower than AR mag changes are familar with ARs but have never put any serious practice into their rock-and-lock reloads.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 2:34:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm sold on the Sig 716. The pmag 308 for SIgs and CMMGS are great and cheap. The Sig is faster than my Armalite AR10 on mag changes. The AR platform is more accurate than my DSAA58  by a little but the MOM Minute of man with the FAL will get the job done.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:46:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I've been really wanting an AR10 too, but to compliment my FAL. Took me too damn long and too much $ to get it where I want it to sell it now.

Link Posted: 8/30/2012 8:37:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, every time I pick one of the FALs, I change my mind on parting with them.
I will just have wait til the alimony is over to buy a Sig 716.
Link Posted: 9/2/2012 6:33:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The AR10 may or may not run well right out of the box. Can you live without a 308 rifle while you tinker with the AR10? If not keep an FN FAL for practical use. If you do keep one please post a side by side comparison of your AR10 to the FN FAL. I am sure you are not the only person with this question.

The same could be said about an FAL, or any rifle, couldn't it? I've had a few AR-10 type rifles over the years, and they have all been reliable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top