Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2011 7:19:06 AM EDT
"This spring in eastern Libya, the prices for Kalashnikovs and FN FAL rifles crested at top-dollar war prices – as much as $2,500 for a rifle in good condition. Even heavily used specimens fetched more than $1,500 each, said Alaadin Alsharkasy, one of the organizers of rebel weapon purchases in Benghazi, the rebel capital."

http://atwar.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/06/military-small-arms-libya-security-puzzles-and-profiteers/

1) Ship $600 G1 build to Africa
2) Buy new tricked DSA 18"
3) Profit??
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 7:29:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow I would think they could get them way cheaper from the south.

I wonder how much you could get for the gun of Rambo?
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 12:31:53 PM EDT
[#2]

When you need a gun, you need one badly.
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 1:05:02 PM EDT
[#3]
They're a lot more than that here
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 2:02:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Century arms now has a market
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 5:57:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yeah, no kidding.  I just finished my FAL.  Total costs $550 for the rifle.  Just a standard FAL, an IMBEL/ARMSCOR mixmaster with a Coonan receiver.  Great bore, almost new (finish is the worse for wear, but whatever).  Went on DSA's website to see what that model of rifle goes for new.  $1,750 before shipping, dealer fees, state fees, and taxes.  Easily $1,200 more.  Holy crap.

I'm a bit surprised at the prices in Libya, though.  I'm sure that price is for imports and not domestic FALs like those taken from gov't armouries.  But still, Africa is awash in FALs.  I'd expect the price to be higher than for an AK but it is still a lot more than I would expect for a used FAL.
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 8:21:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, no kidding.  I just finished my FAL.  Total costs $550 for the rifle.  Just a standard FAL, an IMBEL/ARMSCOR mixmaster with a Coonan receiver.  Great bore, almost new (finish is the worse for wear, but whatever).  Went on DSA's website to see what that model of rifle goes for new.  $1,750 before shipping, dealer fees, state fees, and taxes.  Easily $1,200 more.  Holy crap.

I'm a bit surprised at the prices in Libya, though.  I'm sure that price is for imports and not domestic FALs like those taken from gov't armouries.  But still, Africa is awash in FALs.  I'd expect the price to be higher than for an AK but it is still a lot more than I would expect for a used FAL.

A "real" FAL here is a lot more than $1200 (or $1750)
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 8:39:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure what you're getting at.  My FAL is "real."  It has one piece added to it for California compliance that I can remove in under a minute.  I also have a stock of hi-cap mags for use out of state.  It would have cost less if I lived in another State.

Edit: NVM, I get your meaning.  NFA (not that there are not owners of NFA weapons in California including machine guns).  But that's a special case and the difference is small, especially since hand-held automatic fire in a rifle is of very limited utility and rarely used (with many "real" FALs blocked to semi-auto only).
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 11:14:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

"Rambo 1, 2, or 3?"

I'd sell them my old FAL for $2500, but they might not appreciate the irony of the Israeli markings all over it....

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 3:49:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
"This spring in eastern Libya, the prices for Kalashnikovs and FN FAL rifles crested at top-dollar war prices – as much as $2,500 for a rifle in good condition. Even heavily used specimens fetched more than $1,500 each, said Alaadin Alsharkasy, one of the organizers of rebel weapon purchases in Benghazi, the rebel capital."

http://atwar.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/06/military-small-arms-libya-security-puzzles-and-profiteers/

1) Ship $600 G1 build to Africa
2) Buy new tricked DSA 18"
3) Profit??
That's not as funny to some as it is to others. Unfortunately, joking or not, it more or less conforms to the generally whacked UN and democratic view of what shooters in the US do with all the "assault" weapons we buy.  

Being intamately familiar with how new government regs get started, I'd appreciate it if you didn't joke about it on an open forum. More importantly it also ignores one of the important distinctions between recreational shooters buying surplus arms and the lord of war'esque international arms trade.  Collectors/shooters have over the last few decades taken an awful lot of surplus military weapons off the market that otherwise may well still be in 3rd world hot spots and have instead safely tucked them away in gun safes. Without that segment of the market where would all those wharehouses full of old FAL's have ended up?
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 8:16:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Well the Aussies hacked all their kits to bits rather than sell them to us peaceful citizens of gun-land.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 9:03:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Well the Aussies hacked all their kits to bits rather than sell them to us peaceful citizens of gun-land.

Yeah, I'm still pissed off at 'em over that decision too.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb98/daimlerkidz552/lord_of_war_1.jpg

"Rambo 1, 2, or 3?"

I'd sell them my old FAL for $2500, but they might not appreciate the irony of the Israeli markings all over it....

There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11?

Link Posted: 6/18/2011 1:02:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not sure what you're getting at.  My FAL is "real."  It has one piece added to it for California compliance that I can remove in under a minute.  I also have a stock of hi-cap mags for use out of state.  It would have cost less if I lived in another State.

Edit: NVM, I get your meaning.  NFA (not that there are not owners of NFA weapons in California including machine guns).  But that's a special case and the difference is small, especially since hand-held automatic fire in a rifle is of very limited utility and rarely used (with many "real" FALs blocked to semi-auto only).
It is gun snobbery. It isn't a "real" F A L unless it was built entirely in a licensed factory. Of course the ultimate "real" F A L has Fabrique National'e stamped on the receiver. Unless it is an entirely factory built F A L, then it isn't "real" and the owner is worthy only of complete contempt for even thinking that his F A L is "real."

(Never mind that every production gun is a parts guns. Just disregard that little piece of inconvenience.)

Link Posted: 6/18/2011 1:39:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is gun snobbery. It isn't a "real" F A L unless it was built entirely in a licensed factory. Of course the ultimate "real" F A L has Fabrique National'e stamped on the receiver. Unless it is an entirely factory built F A L, then it isn't "real" and the owner is worthy only of complete contempt for even thinking that his F A L is "real."

(Never mind that every production gun is a parts guns. Just disregard that little piece of inconvenience.)

Only one major component on it was not made under an FN license.  I think I get what you mean, though.  It's kinda like those people that get upset if you call anything other than an Armalite an AR-10.

Of course, I can say that my rifle has already seen action on the African continent and it certainly looks the part.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 7:16:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I think by "real" FAL what they meant was there is a third selection on the safety switch that goes to a place that will land you in federal prison in the USA.  A transferable Class III FAL in the USA will cost you more than $2,500.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think by "real" FAL what they meant was there is a third selection on the safety switch that goes to a place that will land you in federal prison in the USA.  A transferable Class III FAL in the USA will cost you more than $2,500.

I can't even imagine firing a FAL in full auto

To the point of the post- you always hear about how Africa is awash in AK's- but apparently only sub-Saharan Africa. I'm not a strategist- but wouldn't it be easier, cheaper and safer (for our guys) to send a ship load of surplus (AK's, FAL's, Garands, whatever) along with a few million rounds? Laser guided bombs and carrier operations ain't cheap.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:08:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't even imagine firing a FAL in full auto

To the point of the post- you always hear about how Africa is awash in AK's- but apparently only sub-Saharan Africa. I'm not a strategist- but wouldn't it be easier, cheaper and safer (for our guys) to send a ship load of surplus (AK's, FAL's, Garands, whatever) along with a few million rounds? Laser guided bombs and carrier operations ain't cheap.

Yes, but State would shit a brick.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 9:41:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Not all of them got hacked up.  A friend of mine from down there said that when the time came to give up their weapons, many folks cached them.
But even so, it was an awful thing to see their weapons and liberty for that matter go down the drain.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top