Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2010 5:48:12 PM EDT
Just wanted to share one of the best SELF-DEFENSE commercial loads I have ever run through my 18" DSA FAL SA-58 Carbine with S/S Badger barrel....

Winchester Supreme .308 150g. Nosler bullet ammo!

Today was a verification of my previous results... Groups of less than 1" at 50 yards... Not bad for an FAL, at REALISTIC self-defense distances...

The TAP 168g. ammo was looser, at maybe 2" or so...

Your FAL may differ, but I now know what my FAL likes for self-defense purposes... At about $30 per 20 rounds, this is NOT plinking ammo...

Rmpl
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the tip.  Are those the ballistic tips?  That's what I use in my FAL, in the Federal round.

Mine loves that round - 1.5 inch groups at 100 with a scope.  I'm lucky in that my Rem 700 likes that load too, so I bulk up on the ammo and get double duty from it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:38:45 AM EDT
[#2]
The best accuracy I've ever seen with my FAL was also with Winchester
ammo, the 150gr Silver Tips. About 1.75 @ 100 yds. Sand bag rest with Nikon 4x scope
and ARMS mount.

Mine has the chrome lined Imbel barrel.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:43:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Give the Federal 150 SP's a go. You will be shocked at how accurate it is. I was!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:27:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I bet I've spent $200 on ammo of all kinds trying to find something this rifle likes well enough to hunt with and the Winchester Supreme 150's were by far the most accurate 1.25 3 shot groop at 100 (with a 3x12 scope).  The second best were the Federal 150 balistic tips.  It didn't like any of the 168 HPBT's I shot out of it, nothing from Remmington.   I'm trying to get it half way good for hog hunting from stands, I walk with the M4.  I sat in the stand last year with my bolt gun but it was too slow, I think I can do better with the FAL, if I can get it to hit a hog at 300 yards.  This is my first FAL.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:27:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I bet I've spent $200 on ammo of all kinds trying to find something this rifle likes well enough to hunt with and the Winchester Supreme 150's were by far the most accurate 1.25 3 shot groop at 100 (with a 3x12 scope).  The second best were the Federal 150 balistic tips.  It didn't like any of the 168 HPBT's I shot out of it, nothing from Remmington.   I'm trying to get it half way good for hog hunting from stands, I walk with the M4.  I sat in the stand last year with my bolt gun but it was too slow, I think I can do better with the FAL, if I can get it to hit a hog at 300 yards.  This is my first FAL.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:14:23 AM EDT
[#6]
what kind of penetration and expansion are you seeing with these rounds?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:27:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I haven't shot anything but paper with the Winchester Supreme Elite 150's.  But last spring with the 30-06 shoting 150 grain Rem Coreloct I didn't get one to exit on the big boars.  The smaller hogs they would exit on.  I didn't have any .223 exit on anything.  I shot one from 25 yards 275 lbs. didn't exit shoulder shot.http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy44/rodinator1234/Hog1002.jpg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top