Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2009 5:13:07 AM EDT
Hey guys, I'm new to the FAL world...

What's the difference between a DSA SA-58 and an STG-58?  is the huge price premium on the SA-58 justified?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 5:56:06 AM EDT
[#1]
SA58:
All new parts (supposedly)
Aluminum lower
Belgian style flash hider
fiberglass handguards
Lifetime warranty

STG58
Some surplus parts (very good to excellent milspec quality)
Steel lower
Austrian style flash hider (rifle)
Steyr short flash hider (carbines)
Steel handguards (although I heard DSA is putting fiberglass handguards on new STGs)
One year warranty

Older production STG's also had Steyr hammer forged barrels that were considered top notch.

I would recommend getting the STG and switching out for the aluminum lower and fiberglass handguards if you like them better. You'll still come out cheaper.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 7:49:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, that helps a lot!  
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 10:27:50 AM EDT
[#3]
can u order a stg-58 with the alloy lower or do u have to do it? is it hard? thanks,gonnaorder an stg asap baes on this anwer
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 5:36:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
can u order a stg-58 with the alloy lower or do u have to do it? is it hard? thanks,gonnaorder an stg asap baes on this anwer

English please.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:38:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

English please.  

wow, thats all you have to say?
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:29:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

English please.  

Translated

Is one able to order a STG-58 that already has a aluminum lower or will it have to be done separately? Is it very difficult to change out? Thank you, I am going to order a STG-58 ASAP  on your reply.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 10:56:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

English please.  

Harder to do than assembling a stripped AR-15 lower, about as bad as building an AK kit on a 100% receiver.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 1:31:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

English please.  

Harder to do than assembling a stripped AR-15 lower, about as bad as building an AK kit on a 100% receiver.

I can strip a FAL lower in about the same time as an AR lower. I find it easier in fact due to the larger more "crude" parts and lack of small springs and detents the AR has. I installed my 2 FA TPR kits in literally less than 10 minutes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top