Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2009 1:48:49 PM EDT
This thing is the shit!  Even came with the carry handle that I didn't think it was going to.  Can't wait to go get her sighted in.  Thanks for all the info, fellas.

Link Posted: 10/22/2009 2:12:24 PM EDT
[#1]
very nice....that's definitely on the list of guns to get
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 2:14:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice.  +1
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 2:24:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This thing is the shit!  Even came with the carry handle that I didn't think it was going to.  Can't wait to go get her sighted in.  Thanks for all the info, fellas.
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu212/dallasmorrisar/fal.jpg

Not trying to be a buzz kill here but I'm not liking what I'm seeing.  Have any pix of the bolt and carrier up close?  Looks like you have an Inch carrier.  STG's should have a Stoll and a metal hand guard too.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 2:28:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Is that one of the new DSA guns?

DSA does offer a metric sand-cut bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 2:40:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

DSA does offer a metric sand-cut bolt carrie
r.

This.  And handguards are the injection molded ones.  I'm not butt hurt over that.  It is exactly as AIM had it advertised, save the carry handle which was not pictured with they were still for sale.  I AM liking what I'm seeing.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 2:41:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The DSA sand cut carriers are for the Paratrooper.  NOT a standard.  Unless something has changed recently, I'm guessing they hosed him with an Inch bolt and carrier set.  Probably NON match to boot.  Crappy/cheap way to build a metric gun.

Link Posted: 10/22/2009 2:46:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The DSA sand cut carriers are for the Paratrooper.  NOT a standard.  Unless something has changed recently, I'm guessing they hosed him with an Inch bolt and carrier set.  Probably NON match to boot.  Crappy/cheap way to build a metric gun.

Since when is DSA experiencing a negative reputation?
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 3:47:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am a HUGE DSA fan.  All my FALs are DSA or kit builds on DSA receivers.  DSA has compromised the STG to keep it in the line up.  That will be ending by years end if the rumors I here are true.  They should drop them if they can't use all metric parts.  Even in todays market someone can buy a numbers match Imbel kit and have it built on a DSA receiver for less than what you paid for the gun from AIM.  You didn't get an STG, you got a non #'s match metric/commonwealth frankenfal that will last a lifetime.  Just seems like the compromises DSA is making are kinda cheap.  Kinda thing you would expect to see on a Century.  I thought they were classier than that.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 3:51:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am a HUGE DSA fan.  All my FALs are DSA or kit builds on DSA receivers.  DSA has compromised the STG to keep it in the line up.  That will be ending by years end if the rumors I here are true.  They should drop them if they can't use all metric parts.  Even in todays market someone can buy a numbers match Imbel kit and have it built on a DSA receiver for less than what you paid for the gun from AIM.  You didn't get an STG, you got a non #'s match metric/commonwealth frankenfal that will last a lifetime.  Just seems like the compromises DSA is making are kinda cheap.  Kinda thing you would expect to see on a Century.  I thought they were classier than that.

As long as it will continue to go bang and manage some semblance of accuracy, I'm happy.  Too bad that's how their starting to go about things.  When did this start?
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 4:14:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Over the last 6-12 months people have been seeing inch bolts.  Yours is the first I have seen pix with inch carrier too.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 4:15:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Over the last 6-12 months people have been seeing inch bolts.  Yours is the first I have seen pix with inch carrier too.

How do they make inch bolts and carriers work in metric builds?  Is this going to affect function?
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 4:34:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do they make inch bolts and carriers work in metric builds?  Is this going to affect function?

It will work fine.  Bolts, carriers will interchange.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 4:43:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will work fine.  Bolts, carriers will interchange.

Sweet.  Too bad, for the purists, that they are doing this.   Too bad for me that I might have paid too much for the rifle.  I don't feel like I got taken though.  Fit and finish are sweet on this thing.  Hopefully function will be equally as bitchin'.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 4:58:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I just got one too, ditto on the CH!

I think I ordered right before you did. It does have an inch bolt and carrier which can be verified by checking the firing pin to see that it is an inch type 2 piece. I am pissed because that was my reason for getting a second FAL and getting rid of my M1A was to have 100% parts commonality. Now I either have to A: Stock 2 sets of firing pins/springs or B: Get a metric bolt and re-headspace said bolt so I can use my stockpile of metric pins. I will probably end up doing option B. It should function 100% as received from DSA regardless.

Re: The plastic handguards from what I understand are being used due to DSA running out of original STG metal handguards, among other parts. Which would make sense given the use of inch bolts and carriers and new production "Belgian" flash hiders.

Just got my dozen IMI mags from SG and I think I will order a dozen more. Good condition overall and not bad @ $13/ea.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 5:02:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm looking for mags.  What is SG?
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 5:09:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Sportsman's Guide, I was wary about ordering from them given their rep but a couple guys from Fal Files got some and did a review with pics. Glad I got them as most places are around $15 if you want it now. If you wait on someone in the EE or on Gun Broker you might get them for closer to $10 but youll have to be pretty vigilant.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 5:15:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Right on.  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 8:30:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not trying to be a buzz kill here but I'm not liking what I'm seeing.  Have any pix of the bolt and carrier up close?  Looks like you have an Inch carrier.  STG's should have a Stoll and a metal hand guard too.

That's true...but, you still have DSA FAL which are the shit! BTW, here's my STG58 w/an original Steyr barrel and type II receiver (your receiver is a type I).

Cheers,

Sakic #19
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 3:47:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Nice Bang Stick DFD!

No worries about the parts - you know it was built properly at DSA and will retain value - don't sweat the small stuff.

I picked this one up a few weeks back (STG kit on Imbel receiver):

Link Posted: 10/23/2009 5:08:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Even if you do have an inch pattern bolt carrier at least the whole thing was put together by a company
that does very good work.

One of my friends at work has a new DSA and it's very, very nice. He loves it and has never had any trouble with it.

I have read that some of DSA's FALs are a little tight when brand new but settle in real nice after a couple hundred rounds.

Anyway it's good that you have a "sand cut" bolt carrier and I have considered getting an one for my imbel as well.

Let us know how she shoots!

Link Posted: 10/23/2009 6:13:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Inch carrier are real hard steel I would rather have one on a FAL. Remember both the INCH bolt and carrier are sand cut along with all DSA receivers, metric carriers and bolts are not normaly sand cut.

ALSO remember STG58 rifles by DSA are used parts guns NOT 100% Austrian parts. In the past INCH type Brit and Aussy, Argy, Austrian, Belguim, Izzy, DSA made and Imbel parts have been used. It has been this way for years, sometimes INCH bolts sometime metric bolts, sometimes Imbel carriers sometime Aussy carriers, sometimes Austrian gas tube nuts sometimes Izzy, the list goes on and on.

As stated on the web site under STG58 rifles

"Configuration, material, price, and specifcations subject to change without notice"

Link Posted: 10/23/2009 9:30:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Since we're all playing...

STG-58 all matching kit, Steyr barrel, Imbel NGL receiver.

Link Posted: 10/23/2009 9:53:38 AM EDT
[#23]
I much prefer the inch carrier and bolt over the metric design, and have changed over to this configuration. The sand cut inch carrier in a sand cut DSA receiver is a superior setup, and the two piece firing pin in an inch bolt is considered more reliable. (not that I have ever broken a firing pin, but I have heard of it happening) These two parts work very well in a metric receiver, and are totally reliable. The only sad part is that there are no more STG parts around, but you cannot blame DSA for that. By the way, in my experience, when a metric carrier is changed over to an inch pattern, the gas system has to be turned down a notch or two because there is less friction and the carrier moves faster. Anyway, don't feel bad about what you got, I am sure it will be a superb rifle.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 12:35:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Since we're all playing...

STG-58 all matching kit, Steyr barrel, Imbel NGL receiver.

Nice man...where did you get that sling - that looks like an original mauser converted for use on the FAL! I got my replica sling from the gunshow but, after seeing yours I want one of those instead.

Sakic #19
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 12:50:00 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Nice man...where did you get that sling - that looks like an original mauser converted for use on the FAL! I got my replica sling from the gunshow but, after seeing yours I want one of those instead.

Sakic #19
It's an Austrian STG-58 sling.

DSA used to sell them ( I think they're sold out now).

I ordered two, and they sent me 5 one time

I've got one on the STG, and one on the Izzy Carbine, I sold one, and that should leave one lying around somewhere....Hmm.

I wonder where it is?

Link Posted: 10/23/2009 6:36:03 PM EDT
[#26]
How can you tell if the carrier is inch or metric?  What about the firing pin?
Link Posted: 10/24/2009 7:53:34 AM EDT
[#27]
The carrier has the outside v cuts and the bolt will have a two piece firing pin and a cut top rear. There are a very few metric bolts with two piece firing pins installed as an upgrade, but these are rare. If the bolt has a one piece firing pin it is a metric for sure. Nothing at all wrong with this function wise, and DSA sells the two piece upgrade for them if you want to make it a bit better. I have never had a one piece firing pin break, although I have heard of it. Usually happens with a FAL built on a kit that had umpteen thousands of rounds through it before the builder got his hands on it. I have seen some amazingly worn out FAL kits in my day that shot just fine. Imbel still makes the one piece firing pin to this day, so I don't suppose that there can be that much trouble with them.
Link Posted: 10/25/2009 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, since everybody is showing theirs, here's mine........

Matching Stg58 kit on a DSA receiver........

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 4:59:03 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm on board with pix o' mine...

DSA

CAI and DSA

Two DSA

CAI/DSA/H&K
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:34:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Being built by DSA means a lot, they are the best hands down. I looked at several other builders / manufacturers before deciding on mine:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top