Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2009 3:38:51 PM EDT
I've got a factory built DSA FAL with the Belgian short flash hider.  I'd like to replace this with an SEI Vortex but I'm having difficulty.  Some questions:

–– The wrench slot appears to be 0.75" (like the Vortex) but it is very narrow (i.e., narrower than any wrench I've got).  Is there a special tool to fit this slot?  I couldn't find one on DSA's web page.

–– Does DSA typically attach flash hiders permanently?  I've tried using vice grips to remove the flash hider with no luck, it appears to be attached very tightly.  This is a post-2004 ban expiration built rifle

I'd like to remove the Belgian device without damaging it.  And yes, I know the thread is left handed.  

Thanks,
B_D
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 4:12:42 PM EDT
[#1]
3/8" ratchet and turn clockwise to remove.  It's a LHT.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 6:12:09 PM EDT
[#2]
basically 18mm wrench, narrowed down so it will fit.  Backwards threads, I learnt this hard way.  Good luck.

Thanks

Wes
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#3]
It's an 18mm wrench.  I ground one to be 1/4" thick to use for removing the FH.  As said above, the threads are left-hand and you turn clockwise when looking from the muzzle to remove.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This is the best way I have found..
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 2:49:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Now I know where all the ruined Belgian Combo devices are coming from.  Why are you guys filing on wrenches when the 3/8 works without modification.  Doesn't even hurt the threads.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 4:01:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Now I know where all the ruined Belgian Combo devices are coming from.  Why are you guys filing on wrenches when the 3/8 works without modification.  Doesn't even hurt the threads.

Did it myself just last week.. Took a spare wrench stuck it in the vice and took my dewalt grinder to it.. Ground until it fit and still fuggered up the Combo.. Midway through my screw-up I remembered reading about the 3/8" ratchet .. It worked like a charm and didn't do amything t othe combo at all..

Now I have to see if I can clean up the Combo with a file and then send it out to be re-parked.. SUX cause it was perfect and had been parked in a batch of stuff I had done last year..
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:04:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks for the responses.  

I guess I'm dense –– got out my 3/8" drive ratchet and couldn't figure out how to make the square driver engage the Belgian device.  What am I missing?  Maybe someone could post a photo?

B_D
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:21:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Stick the 3/8' square into the threaded BFA/Bullet exiting end of the combo device.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 2:21:15 PM EDT
[#9]
OK, I've tried four different 3/8" drivers with no success.  Just to be clear my muzzle device is the one shown below:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=429082

The inside of the flash hider is threaded.  I've tried jamming the 3/8" ratchets inside the flash hider tip into the threaded area with considerable force but they won't catch.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
B_D
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 2:33:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Stick the square part in the square hole.  You have the correct parts.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 4:17:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Stick the square part in the square hole.  You have the correct parts.

There's no square hole in the end of my muzzle device, it's round and internally threaded, I'm pretty sure we aren't talking about the same thing.  I think it's time to grind down a wrench or get out the pipe wrench.  Thanks for the help.

B_D
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 5:12:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's a short combo device.  Notice how it's square-shaped inside the bore of the device.

Here is a 3/8" drive extension above the device:

Same drive extension fully inserted, ready to remove device from barrel.  From this view, turn the wrench/device clockwise to remove it from the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 5:19:18 PM EDT
[#13]
What's the torq spec on installing the FH?
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 8:03:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Here's a short combo device.  Notice how it's square-shaped inside the bore of the device...

Thanks for posting the photos.  The end of my device is not square-shaped as you've shown –– it's threaded but completely circular on the inside.  Thought I was going nuts not being able to follow the instructions above but it's clear from your photos that my muzzle device is different.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

B_D
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:52:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Take a 1/2-20x1.5" Grade 8 bolt, a 1/2-20 nut, and a brass washer. Screw the nut onto the bolt about an inch. Slide washer onto bolt. Spray lube on threads. Insert bolt into threaded end of combo device and screw in approximately 3/4" (make sure it doesnt bottom out, it should not be snug). Use two wrenches to jam nut against washer/combo device. Place wrench on nut and unscrew to the right (lefthanded thread). Once the device is off, lock bolt head in vice and loosen jam nut, remove bolt from device.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 6:51:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Take a 1/2-20x1.5" Grade 8 bolt, a 1/2-20 nut, and a brass washer. Screw the nut onto the bolt about an inch. Slide washer onto bolt. Spray lube on threads. Insert bolt into threaded end of combo device and screw in approximately 3/4" (make sure it doesnt bottom out, it should not be snug). Use two wrenches to jam nut against washer/combo device. Place wrench on nut and unscrew to the right (lefthanded thread). Once the device is off, lock bolt head in vice and loosen jam nut, remove bolt from device.

I was starting to think along these lines but wasn't sure of the thread size.  Thanks very much for the advice, I'll give this a shot.

B_D
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:40:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was starting to think along these lines but wasn't sure of the thread size.  Thanks very much for the advice, I'll give this a shot.

B_D

Finally had a chance to try this approach, it worked great.  Thanks for the help BB.

B_D
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top