Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2009 1:48:26 PM EDT
I just got a 16" barrel STG.  What can you guys tell me about FALs with the 16" barrels?  Anything particular with these rifles?  I'm pretty excited to test it out this weekend!  

I posted a pic in the pic thread!
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just got a 16" barrel STG.  What can you guys tell me about FALs with the 16" barrels?  Anything particular with these rifles?  I'm pretty excited to test it out this weekend!  

I posted a pic in the pic thread!

you may have front sight height issues. Wear hearing protection ;-)
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 4:19:12 PM EDT
[#2]
you may have front sight height issues.

Really?  The distance between the sights is normal.

Link Posted: 6/3/2009 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#3]
BB, what are you talking about?

front sight height issues? Wadda ya mean? The front sight is in the same place as an FAL with a full length barrel.

Beerswimmer, I own a DSA SA58 with a 16" barrel, and LOVE it!!

NO issues with the front sight. You're good to go!
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 8:38:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

front sight height issues? Wadda ya mean? The front sight is in the same place as an FAL with a full length barrel.

Some 16" FALs shoot a tad low with standard sights.

A taller Israeli or "Inch" rear sight and/or shorter front sight is usually suggested to correct the problem.

Link Posted: 6/4/2009 12:27:56 PM EDT
[#5]
MOST 16" FAL's with the standard length gas system (even though still standard length sight radius) shoot LOW.

Substitution of an "inch" or "Izzy" rear sight will usually make those guns shoot TOO HIGH.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 12:49:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 9:00:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I had the low shooting issue with mine. An isreali rear sight took care of it. I would have had to file the front post down to a nub to zero it otherwise.  Also, I never found it to be that loud.  I don't know what the guy next to me might think though.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 2:23:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I had the low shooting issue with mine. An isreali rear sight took care of it. I would have had to file the front post down to a nub to zero it otherwise.  Also, I never found it to be that loud.  I don't know what the guy next to me might think though.

What dot front sight did it take to zero the rifle in at a hundred yards using the israeli rear?
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 7:48:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What dot front sight did it take to zero the rifle in at a hundred yards using the israeli rear?

I kept the original front post as I remember.  I can look tonight.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 2:36:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I'll support the shooting too low issue.
I have a 16" Stg58C with a 2 dot front sight, I need to go to (I think) a no dot front sight.
Hopefully that brings things in line.

Other than that, as cool as hell. However, If I did it over again, I might go 18", I think an 18" FAL would be just about the perfect fighting 308 rifle.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:44:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine hits pretty low.  I think I'll stone it down.  I'd rather get a shorter sight, but I can't find them for less than $5.  I have the para rear.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:46:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Mine hits pretty low.  I think I'll stone it down.  I'd rather get a shorter sight, but I can't find them for less than $5.  I have the para rear.

You will need to remove 0.006" from the front  sight for each 1 MOA elevation you want to achieve.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:12:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

+1

No issues here with DSA.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:10:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

No issues here with DSA.

I Also have a DSA STG 16"  (bought about 10 years ago ) that had the front post issue.

Perhaps DSA has since Corrected the problem.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#15]
[span style='font-weight: bold;']

Perhaps DSA has since Corrected the problem.

nope.

See http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=264321
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:14:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I got frustrated by the short stubby front sights and not being able to get a decent sight picture, so I bought tall front sights as replacements. I haven't had a chance to install them and sight them in, but I should be able to just adjust the rear sight forward to get them close to zero. I don't mind losing the long range windage adjustments because I can't see that far anyway and a regular sized front sight is more important to me.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:03:00 PM EDT
[#17]
My DSA had the same problems.  I called DSA and was informed that at the time I bought it they probably placed the wrong one in the front and sent me the corrrect one.  +1 to customer service for that.  I agree that it is loud to the neighbors and I'm considering another type of muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:29:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You will need to remove 0.006" from the front  sight for each 1 MOA elevation you want to achieve.

Thank you, Sir.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top