Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2009 9:24:00 PM EDT
A friend of mine asked me to evaluate a deal he was offered, and I don't know anything about FALs (shot one once), but here's the scoop:

Imbel receiver (don't know a whole lot beyond that)
100rds .308
10 20rd mags

Guy wants a grand for the package.  I fondled the FAL and its got an integrated bipod that slaps up into the front handguards.  Longish barrel with a 5" (?) muzzle brake on the end, has some other stuff stamped on the reciever (not "Centry Arms Inc" but some other three-word stamping that starts with a C).  The whole rifle feels solid, trigger is really nice, has standard black plastic furniture like I've seen on many of the FALs I've looked at, and some sort of aftermarket scope rail on top.  

I know its not a lot to go on, like I said FALs are foreign to me and I'm not sure what they're worth, but for a grand, the above deal sounds good to me.  Seller claims to have shot it out to 800m with good Federal loads.

Any advice?
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 10:02:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like probably some kind of StG58 build, other than that no way to know how well it was put together without a knowledgeable examination.
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 11:26:53 PM EDT
[#2]
What kind of info would help?  If I could get pics?  Or all of the stampings on the various parts?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 9:01:15 PM EDT
[#3]
OK... On one side it says "Pacific Armament Corp, Modesto CA"

Its an Imbel, says "Imbel Fabrica De Itajuba, Brasil"

Has a DSA scope rail on it.

Lots of parts (grip etc) say "Made in USA"

Has a radially-fluted muzzle brake with lots of holes in the end.

Does that help at all?
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 10:27:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy now.

The mags at $10-15 each is $100-150
100rnds Federal .308 $75 and Boxer primed(save the brass)
That leaves $775-825 for the rifle which happens to have an older nicely marked Imbel receiver.

Does the inside of the magazine well have a date stamped? If not, then it is an older Imbel what they call a "no date marked"...I like these because of the minimal markings and the "Fz 7,62" stamping. They are definitely older than 2000, not sure about '94. The receiver alone is worth $400-500, + parts kit, compliance parts + build fee far exceeds the $1k being asked.

If the rifle isn't visibly damaged, buy it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 11:35:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Fz 7,62 is marked on the other side of the receiver.... not sure about the inside of the magwell.

ETA: Thanks guys.  I will be collecting my nominal fee of shooting the first mag through his "new" rifle, considering I was initially offered the gun and turned him onto it, and I also got the coveted arf.com seal of approval for him.
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 9:22:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy IT!   I have A FAL from them built several years ago and it is top notch. It is a true Imbel receiver built with Imbel parts. Mine shoots flawlwsly.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 4:43:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Buy IT!   I have A FAL from them built several years ago and it is top notch. It is a true Imbel receiver built with Imbel parts. Mine shoots flawlwsly.

Pacific Armament Corp, Modesto CA is not the builder. They are the importer of the receiver.
Sounds very much like a Stg-58 kit build.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 8:24:10 AM EDT
[#8]
My advice is.......

how fast can you count out the money.......
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 6:52:22 PM EDT
[#9]
This is NOT a good deal for you or your friend.  I will help out the seller by buying it however.  Please give me his contact info.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 8:21:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pacific Armament Corp, Modesto CA is not the builder. They are the importer of the receiver.
Sounds very much like a Stg-58 kit build.

Exactly.  You could have anything from an excellently built rifle to someone's WECSOG problem child.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 10:12:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Seller sent pics.  ETA Since my friend is "teetering" on the decision (he has to see if he's got the funds in his Momma Dont Know account), the seller is now doing rifle, 12 20rd mags, four dual-mag pouches, a nylon rifle case, 100rds ammo, (cheap) scope, original cover (where the scope mount sits now), and sling for the same price :)

Link Posted: 6/1/2009 11:47:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Buy, buy, buy!
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 11:54:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Definitely an StG-58 kit build on an Imbel receiver, good parts.  "Preban" build with the brake on there, probably want to swap out the muzzle brake for a FS to debanify it, if it's possible to remove it without too much trouble.  It's been shot a fair bit considering the dings around the ejection port.  DSA replacement hooded rear sight, someone knew what they were doing there.  If you shoot it much you'll probably want to swap the steel handguards out for plastic, the steel ones get very hot.  I'd probably put a semi-only safety on it as well just to be cautious.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 10:21:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Go here to do away with brass "kiss marks" on the receiver it he buys it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 8:03:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Interesting charging handle
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 6:20:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Interesting charging handle

T48 (sorta) copy
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 11:25:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Buy.

Quick and dirty estimate:

-PAC Imbel Gear Logo receiver $400-$550

-STG58 kit $400-$600

-12 Magazines (They sell for $15-$20 now, but let's call it $10 ea) $120

-50 rds of ammo $25 @ .50/rd

-DSA scope mt. $80

-Scope $25

-case $25

-Assembly/US parts $200

Well in excess of the $100 being asked.

Muzzle brake looks like an FSE STG58 brake.  I had one on my STG during the ban.  Most likely the brake is silver soldered on the barrel, and you will need a MAPP gas torch to get it off.  It can be done though.
Here's my STG-58 back in the ban days...

Note the FSE Brake on the muzzle

Here she is several years later...

Back in her former glory with the Stoll Flash Hider

The STG-58 is *in general* the most accurate of the FAL variants.  This owes to the excellent Steyr barrels.

I love my STG-58 and it's one of a handful of rifles I'd never sell.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:40:07 AM EDT
[#18]
I have 2 mutants I would not trade for the world
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:22:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I have essentially the same gun. Mine has a 16" barrel, Gear logo Imbel(ca.2000), marked Fz7.62..c3a.
It has a numbers matchinggun(aside from the reciever). From appx 93(judging by the barrel stamp)
Mine was built by Mike Ottely, formerly the Head Smith at HS Precision. This gun is ABSOLUTLEY, HANDS DOWN, my most FAVORITE gun!(and I have, and have had, lots of guns)
I'd take this over my M1a, AR-10s, Cetmes, AR15's...Gun is well worth the money. I picked mine up last Sunday, cost me A USP40c, and a G17.(in all reality MY out of pocket was $750)

(sorry the pics are fuzzy, had the wrong macro setting)

I would snap it up at $1300. These guns are no more. They will NEVER get cheaper, and short of a complete FAL, the most desirable on the market.

Get it, and enjoy
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:12:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, everybody started "showing theirs" so I'm going to show my favorite....

I have a Stg58, and a L1A1. The Stg58 is built by ME! The L1A1 is a Century Arms, but does well. Here's a Photo of my Stg58......

Not only looks goods, but shots well also.....

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:06:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks to all.  He bought the rifle for $1k and seems quite happy.  As I said I was promised the first mag through the rifle for the info you all provided, so again, thanks!  We haven't been to the range yet with the 100 rounds he got, but I did shoot another friend's FAL soem time ago and, wow, what can I say?  Now he just needs to figure out how to sell a kidney and half his liver so he can buy ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top