Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2009 8:50:28 PM EDT
Well, I'm about to trade off an SPR I bought for a FAL, and since I honestly know little about FALs, I figured I'd post here and ask what this rifle is worth.

The rifle is apparently assembled by Liberty Arms in Liberty, TX. I was told it was an M444. The only data I could find on the internet about any rifle called the M444 was this webpage: http://www.cruffler.com/review-April-01-M444.html

So I kinda put two and two together and assumed that the rifle is an IAI/Liberty Arms rifle.

Now, this particular FAL was sent off to azex arms to have it inspected, and have the barrel shortened to 18".

Rifle has a low round-count, and is in good cosmetic condition.

I was offered this rifle, alongwith 5 metric fal magazines in trade for an (FN) SPR I'm asking $1400 for. What are these rifles worth these days? Am I making a mistake?
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:03:07 PM EDT
[#1]
That sounds high to me. Mags can be easily found for $15 each and less, and FAL's around $1k and less that aren't pre-ban or DSA's. I'm farily certain most would agree that an M-444 shouldn't cost much more than your average Imbel built kit(again $1k'ish) since that is basically what an M-444 is.

He should toss in at least 500 rounds of 7.62 surplus with that rifle IMO.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:32:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not an FAL expert, but $1000 sounds about right, even including the Obama premium.   fwiw- AZEX does good work.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:35:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I had an M444 and I believe it's built on an Imbel receiver which is a forged FN-Spec part.

You should be very happy with it.

Since the barrel is already cut to 18" I suggest that you
convert it to a paratrooper configuration.

DSA sells the lower receiver and stock kit.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:37:00 AM EDT
[#4]
M444's were "decent" FAL clones.  Mostly Imbel parts, which is a good thing, and the majority of them ran well or could be made to do so.

However, that said, no way is current market price on an M444 $1400.00.  Is your SPR is truly a $1400 gun, that guy owes you at least $200-$400 in boot as well.

I'd price your gun, sight unseen at $800-$1000, and lean more towards the $1000 if it has a nice finish and is reliable (pretty guns sell for more).  As it's been cut down to 18", that would help in resale too,a s carbines sell for more as well.

Again, unless you're over valuing your SPR, you're on the short end of the stick on this trade.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 1:34:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't mean to be the only dissenting opinion but here goes...

I think you're making an even trade. Your SPR is a bolt action rifle that would not be subject to any potential assault weapons ban. The FAL, on the other hand, if an AWB goes into effect will end up appreciating to a much greater extent. Now, of course its speculation, but then again, the majority of opinions that you'll receive on this topic will be from the old-timers who remember when they picked up an FAL kit for $99, a receiver for $150 and were at the range for less than $400. They were also blasting surplus 7.62 for $0.10 a round. Times have changed.

An Imbel receiver goes routinely over $500. Some Gear Logo'd receivers have hit $600 on the bungroker. Then consider the price of a kit these days. STG kits are over $600, more if numbers matching and complete, Brit kits over $600 if you can find one with an unmolested barrel, and Imbel kits that look like ass are fetching $350. If you do a search on bungroker the only listing for an m444 has a buy it now of over $2000 ??!!! (He must smoke a little crack)

Anyway, basically, I don't think a straight up trade is you getting the short end of the stick. If there is a new AWB and the going rate of an m444 becomes $2500, would you trade him back? No, you'd say you made "a wise investment" and tell him he shouldn't have given it away. The way I see it, FN will keep making SPR's, and they will always be available, the FAL on the otherhand, who knows...Whatever.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:58:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't mean to be the only dissenting opinion but here goes...

I think you're making an even trade. Your SPR is a bolt action rifle that would not be subject to any potential assault weapons ban. The FAL, on the other hand, if an AWB goes into effect will end up appreciating to a much greater extent. Now, of course its speculation, but then again, the majority of opinions that you'll receive on this topic will be from the old-timers who remember when they picked up an FAL kit for $99, a receiver for $150 and were at the range for less than $400. They were also blasting surplus 7.62 for $0.10 a round. Times have changed.

An Imbel receiver goes routinely over $500. Some Gear Logo'd receivers have hit $600 on the bungroker. Then consider the price of a kit these days. STG kits are over $600, more if numbers matching and complete, Brit kits over $600 if you can find one with an unmolested barrel, and Imbel kits that look like ass are fetching $350. If you do a search on bungroker the only listing for an m444 has a buy it now of over $2000 ??!!! (He must smoke a little crack)

Anyway, basically, I don't think a straight up trade is you getting the short end of the stick. If there is a new AWB and the going rate of an m444 becomes $2500, would you trade him back? No, you'd say you made "a wise investment" and tell him he shouldn't have given it away. The way I see it, FN will keep making SPR's, and they will always be available, the FAL on the otherhand, who knows...Whatever.

QFT. Thank you sir. I guess I just needed reassurance more than anything, lol. Now to order that para stock from DSA!
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:40:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Are you in a big rush to get the rifle?  I bought a DS Arms STG Para carbine this time last year for $1500 +/- NIB.  Have they gone up that much lately?  
I hadn't even heard of "Liberty Arms" before this thread.  They can't be a major outfit.    I think you are not making a wise trade.

Edited b/c my grammar was teh suk
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:37:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Are you in a big rush to get the rifle?  I bought a DS Arms STG Para carbine this time last year for $1500 +/- NIB.  Have they gone up that much lately?  
I hadn't even heard of "Liberty Arms" before this thread.  They can't be a major outfit.    I think you are not making a wise trade.

Edited b/c my grammar was teh suk

Std. DSA Para will run $1900-$2100.  Yeah, they've gone up a bit.

Keep in mind that to get a DSA para stock will require a para lower, stock, and para topcover and bolt carrier.

You're looking at about $500 or so for the parts to convert your rifle to "para" specs.  So, it that FAL is considered to be $1400 worth of rifle, and you add the Para parts to it from DSA, then you're looking at ~$2000 for a Para....roughly the same cost as purchasing a new one from DSA.  I guess it works out...
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:36:04 AM EDT
[#9]
You haven't heard of "Liberty Arms" because it was one of the early importers. No offense, but if you only know DSA, then your advice on his original question is limited.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:02:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You haven't heard of "Liberty Arms" because it was one of the early importers. No offense, but if you only know DSA, then your advice on his original question is limited.

Yup.  Liberty Arms/IAI sold FAL's during the ban era.  Among the big vendors of the M444 were SOG and Dan's Ammo.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:05:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Also keep in mind all those DSA para parts are on BACK ORDER and they have NO IDEA WHEN THEY WILL BE PRODUCED + sent out.

Ask me how I know, been on backorder for over 8 months, and order status is now "'permanent hold'".

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:25:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Also keep in mind all those DSA para parts are on BACK ORDER and they have NO IDEA WHEN THEY WILL BE PRODUCED + sent out.

Ask me how I know, been on backorder for over 8 months, and order status is now "'permanent hold'".

True.

Some people are going with the lesser Falcon Arms para parts due to DSA's lead time.

A quick glance shows SARCO not having the para stocks in stock at present.

Looks like Falcon would be the "instant gratification" choice, unless you can pick one up on FalFiles marketplace.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:32:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Right now , street price for a decent kit built FAL-type is $1000+

Only you can decide what your rifle is worth to you.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 10:50:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Parts are always available to those willing to wait...someone is always selling an extra something.

There have been several Para FAL's selling on FalFiles in the last week ranging from $1100-1400. Some had Imbel receivers, some had DSA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top