Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2008 7:18:24 AM EDT
I bought an FAL X stock to install on my side folder Saiga 12.  The company that made a one-off adapter won't do anymore, so it's up to me. I'm not sure if I should buy a damaged lower, cut the back end off, and weld it to the folder mechanism, or come up with something else.  

Anyone have ideas?  Here's what I'm trying to attach it to:

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:55:03 AM EDT
[#1]
A FAL fixed stock has the tube that holds the recoil spring inside it... the stock slides onto that tube which projects from the lower receiver and then a screw fastens the stock to the tube and tightens it up to the back of the lower.

If that piece is steel you could get a recoil spring tube, cut it to the correct length and angle and weld it, then just attach the FAL stock in its normal fashion.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:38:34 AM EDT
[#2]
It's aluminum, but perhaps I can weld the tube to a plate and screw the plate to the hinge.  Doesn't seem like it'd be TOO hard for a competant welder.  Besides the stock tube, what else would I need?  Is there a nut?
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:53:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Check Ace LTD, USAThey make adapters for different type of weapons.

It appears as if you have the SMG folder.  Check with them to see if they have an adapter for the Saiga.

In the close out section, they have spacer blocks.  

It seems to me that you could make fairley easily, an adapter that has the hole, threaded for the FAL recoil tube and at the prober angle.  Attach the adapter to the folding mechinisn, then attach the FAL butt stock to the adapter plate using the FAL recoil tube.

I always had the idea to try to mount a standard FAL stock to a para folding adapter.  Kind of like the Armalite AR-18 folding stock.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Good link, thanks!

Gamma, so I need just the tube, the cap and the screw?  Does hte screw go all the way through or just into the cap?  On the FAL lower receiver, does the recoil tube screw into a removable nut or is it welded in place?  This is gonna be a pain in the ass project, but it will be one of two of a kind if I can pull it off.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 4:26:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Check out this schematic from DSA.

You can see how the stock is mounted and what parts are used.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 11:57:35 AM EDT
[#6]
French!  That helps out tremendously, thank you.  Looks like I can get all the standard stock mounted stuff fairly easily, the tricky part is finding a nut that I can weld onto the mounting plate.  OTherwise finding a junk lower that I can mitre saw the back block off of.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Glad I could help, keep us posted with updates.

Take pics also.  You may be paving the way for others.

Good luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top