Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2008 8:25:00 AM EDT
Found one at a local shop for $700

it is a strange bird because it is built on a factory Argentine receiver but none of the numbers match.

Also, there are no importer markings anywhere, I even looked under the handguards.

says made in Argentina on the receiver and not a whole lot else.

Inch pattern lower and handguards.

anyone know what the hell this thing is or where it came from?
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 12:43:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 6:04:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Look again for the import mark. Probably inside the magwell on the right side:
IMP BY (or some such)
SAC
LATTA SC
The whole stamp is less than 1/4"x1/4".
If you find that:
It is post '89 import, came here as a complete rifle, stuck in customs during the import ban fiasco. They were broken up, upper sold one place, lower and bolt/bolt carrier another.
High quality receiver. Headspace should be checked before shooting it. It will need US made compliance parts to be legal.
$700 is not a bad deal, you could get most of that just for the barreled upper.
Register at The FALFiles, go to "Reference and Data", sticky thread called "Eureka" then "Don't cry for me Argentina". All the info there that you can handle for now.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:44:17 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Look again for the import mark. Probably inside the magwell on the right side:
IMP BY (or some such)
SAC
LATTA SC
The whole stamp is less than 1/4"x1/4".
If you find that:
It is post '89 import, came here as a complete rifle, stuck in customs during the import ban fiasco. They were broken up, upper sold one place, lower and bolt/bolt carrier another.
High quality receiver. Headspace should be checked before shooting it. It will need US made compliance parts to be legal.
$700 is not a bad deal, you could get most of that just for the barreled upper.
Register at The FALFiles, go to "Reference and Data", sticky thread called "Eureka" then "Don't cry for me Argentina". All the info there that you can handle for now.

you are the man.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 7:04:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Let us know what you discover.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:35:04 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Let us know what you discover.

Well I bought the rifle.

It does in fact have an import stamp on the mag well, albeit a very tiny one, "IMP by LATTA SAC", as you said.

The parts kit is an unmolested english kit, non matching numbers.

the receiver itself is a beautiful type III marked with only "Made in Argentina" and a serial number.

I am very excited about this rifle.  I have already torn it down into parts and will be rebuilding the receiver on a metric kit with as many Argie parts as I can find.

Already bought an Argie barrel and a Para rear sight, since that seems to be what the Argies used on all their rifles.

I will rebuild the English kit on a DSA inch pattern receiver if I can get one.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:04:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Is the barrel a Brit for sure?
Some of the Argies had open ear front sight/gas blocks. Brit front sight will be a blade, Argy a round cone-like post. Brit will have right hand muzzle threads, Argy left. For the open ear front sights you'll need an Izzy rear sight. Blah, blah....
I'll stop now. Just give us pictures please.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:48:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Is the barrel a Brit for sure?
Some of the Argies had open ear front sight/gas blocks. Brit front sight will be a blade, Argy a round cone-like post. Brit will have right hand muzzle threads, Argy left. For the open ear front sights you'll need an Izzy rear sight. Blah, blah....
I'll stop now. Just give us pictures please.

I am pretty sure the barrel is Brit, it has the blade front sight and an open eared sight block.

It also has the "arrow" stamp on it, which I am assuming is Brit (or Canadian?)  it is the uppermost stamp in the pic below:

I am working on pictures, should have them up soon.

Do you know anything about the para sights the Argies used?  I ordered an "FN license" para sight assembly from Sarco, I hope that works or is close enough.

I want to build a clone of this:

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:50:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

It also has the "arrow" stamp on it, which I am assuming is Brit (or Canadian?)  it is the uppermost stamp in the pic below:

enfieldrifles.profusehost.net/gh11_files/image014.jpg

More on the "Broad Arrow" here...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top