Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2007 12:48:11 AM EDT
I have now had the receiver longer than it took to get it from DSA in the first place.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2007 1:02:11 AM EDT
[#1]
And do tell..
Link Posted: 2/9/2007 1:09:34 AM EDT
[#2]
What is the hold up?
Link Posted: 2/9/2007 5:42:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Sell it to me cheap, over night it to me and it will be finished tomorrow afternoon!

Bill
Link Posted: 2/9/2007 6:14:32 AM EDT
[#4]
What I remember from my build in 2000.

Screw barrel in tight, you may have to file barrel to make it time right. Put in locking shoulder and check headspace.

If it wont pass go/nogo, you need a bigger/smaller locking shoulder.

Everything else is snap on.

Sorry I cant help more, but 7 years is another lifetime for me. I cant remember yesterday sometimes.

Or you could send it to AZEX. $310.00

Link Posted: 2/9/2007 6:49:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I HAD mine built (Dans Ammo kit with DSA receiver).

Are you doing this as a project, or are do you just want a rifle ? I got a guy that will put that together for $80. You can't even buy the headspace guages for that.
Link Posted: 2/9/2007 9:08:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Do you need tools?  

Waiting for a certain, hard to locate compliance part?  

Forget to stock up on .308 surplus when it was cheap?  

Did you forget to pay the electric bill and now it's too dark in your workroom?  

Run out of space in your safe (this has happened to me - twice)?

Want the '86 ban to be repealed so you can register it as an MG?

Your diploma from WEGSOG University hasn't arrived yet?

Afraid the little woman will see it and demand more shoes?

Link Posted: 2/9/2007 10:35:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Come over to the Falfiles Gunsmith forum and read the build instructions stickied at the top. As long as you don't break anything, the worst case scenario is you can't make it go together.
At that point send it out to a smith or have someone help you. ARS, CGW, and Azex are all great smiths and the prices aren't too bad.
Link Posted: 2/9/2007 8:03:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Too busy with other stuff.
I already have a DSA STG58.
I was going to send it AZEX in Feb, Derek quoted me a nice price.
I ended up buying three of those Colt Sistemas instead.
I have March penciled in to buy a field grade Garand and build a .308 Garand.
It looks like it might be June or July before I have the funds.
Link Posted: 2/10/2007 2:01:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/10/2007 10:26:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What CavVet says...

Forrest

Link Posted: 2/10/2007 1:52:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I meant to say collectors grade.  

I really meant to say rack grade.
Link Posted: 2/10/2007 2:07:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have now had the receiver longer than it took to get it from DSA in the first place.  

That's okay...I got a DSA inch pattern receiver a year ago last November, to go with the Aussie L1A1 parts kit I had before that.

....I've been waiting until I was back in WA to assemble it, rather than neuter it to be NY compliant.

Anyone else want to have a Mason Co. FAL build party in July?

Link Posted: 2/10/2007 3:19:33 PM EDT
[#13]
What's missing?

At least you have a receiver.
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 5:22:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Why not find someone close to you that has tools?  Building the FAL is not bad at all, fun as long as you remember to put the handguard ring on before you barrel and set TCP and relize that you have to do that stage again, and you learn the workings of the FAL in the process.  Refinish, use Duracoat if you are not set up to spray or find a local parkerizing guy and b out 75-100 bucks.

Link Posted: 2/11/2007 6:03:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Building the FAL is not bad at all, fun as long as you remember to put the handguard ring on before you barrel and set TCP  

I learned that the hard way

But apparently it's common enough for someone to make a FIX
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 4:49:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I'll confess - I have a Grade 1 kit from Dan's (right there is a hint as to how long I've had them) and an Imbel reciever from Dealer's Warehouse downstairs.

I got as far as making a barrel vice and a buttstock tool, then got distracted.
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 7:06:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll confess - I have a Grade 1 kit from Dan's (right there is a hint as to how long I've had them) and an Imbel reciever from Dealer's Warehouse downstairs.

You need a helping hand?

I'm sure that we can find someone near you willing to help...

Forrest

Link Posted: 2/13/2007 7:09:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a receiver wrench and the same parts... build party?
Link Posted: 2/14/2007 4:15:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure - I'm in Eastern Missouri.  I would want to get all the compliance parts on hand first.
Link Posted: 2/14/2007 7:44:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Derek builds a hell of an FAL. He built my Izzy clone.

Link Posted: 2/16/2007 6:17:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure - I'm in Eastern Missouri.  I would want to get all the compliance parts on hand first.

AeroE
I'm in east central Missouri, if you want to build your FAL, I have all the tools and have built several.  We recently built one for Rsteinb and he had a thread about it in the Missouri forum.  IM me if you're interested.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 9:58:35 PM EDT
[#22]
KA3B Why in the hell have you not brought that kit over on one of our build nights?..

I still have to strip down both kits I have and bead blast/ Duracoat them. I also need to get 2 receivers.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 12:39:13 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
KA3B Why in the hell have you not brought that kit over on one of our build nights?..

Because all you guys do is get stoned on acetone and duracoat and use rocks to manufacture AK-47 receivers....
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:46:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I HAD mine built (Dans Ammo kit with DSA receiver).

Are you doing this as a project, or are do you just want a rifle ? I got a guy that will put that together for $80. You can't even buy the headspace guages for that.

Where do you buy your headspace gauges from?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top