Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2006 8:14:08 PM EDT
I've been thinking about one, but can you get accurate hits out to 400 yards?
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 4:56:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Hi,

My Imbel FAL wears an Aimpoint from time to time, on an ARMS mount with the Aimpoint quick detatch ring. In fact just yesterday I was thinking of re-installing it on the FAL. Right now my Aimpoint is living on my shorty AR15.

I like the Aimpoint on the FAL because it's so fast to get back on target after each shot and it's very good in low light conditions when the fixed sights become unusable.

I really enjoy using the Aimpoint on the FAL but I replaced it with a Nikon 4x in preparation for a hog hunting trip that has yet to take place.

However, I was thinking that shooting distances my be closer than I had first thought, so the Aimpoint seems like a better choice. Especially if hogs are up close and unhappy. Both my sons are considering taking their bows and giving that a try so I'll need to back them up with the FAL.

I've only used the Aimpoint/FAL combo out to 200 yds but I was able to get pretty decent hits on an IPSC target. Depending on how you have it zero'ed you will have to practice at long ranges to see how much hold-over you will need. I have mine zero'ed at 50 yds.

I don't know about 400 yds with a 4 MOA Aimpoint, 0 to 300 should be OK. For 400 yds I think you would be better off with the newer M3 model that has the smaller 2 MOA dot.

I really like my Aimpoint no matter which rifle it's living on at the time. If I could afford it I'd go out and buy another one today. If I had the $$ I'd get the 2 MOA aimpoint and the 3x magnifyer for my FAL.

Cheers,

flyer
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 5:17:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a eoteck 512. On mine. Testing to see how it stands up to recoil. Aimpoint would work.In a low mount. I like them for snap shooting. Down side is you cant co-witness your sights. You might be better off with a low power SPR type optic. In the 1-4x. With an illuminated recticle. Most of my shooting is out to 150yars. Most Dot sights cover to much at longer ranges.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 6:12:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got an ML3 on my Para Fal and its ok. I'm going to try an IOR 1.1-4x26 Tactical and see if I like that setup any better.

I think a little magnification would be good. I'll post here when it gets set up.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't have an Aimpoint on a FAL, but I plan on it.

I have used Aimpoints for years on AR15s. I have at least four: all are 4 MOA dots.
I have shot at 400 yards many times and did fine on steel. At least as good as I could do with iron sights, probably better. Definitely WAY faster up close. Definitely FAR more usable in low light/no light.
I have shot groups at 200 yards and was amazed at how good I did. I don't remember exactly but like 4-5" at 200 yards.

The size of the dot makes no difference in precision. You zero the dot just like you would your iron sights.
You don't cover the target with the dot (or your front iron sight) you put the target right at the tip of the top of the dot (or the top of your front iron sight).
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 9:21:08 AM EDT
[#5]
That's a good tip on zeroing the Aimpoint.

I'll try it that way when I re-zero it to the FAL soon.

thanks,

Flyer
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 11:06:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I don't have an Aimpoint on a FAL, but I plan on it.

I have used Aimpoints for years on AR15s. I have at least four: all are 4 MOA dots.
I have shot at 400 yards many times and did fine on steel. At least as good as I could do with iron sights, probably better. Definitely WAY faster up close. Definitely FAR more usable in low light/no light.
I have shot groups at 200 yards and was amazed at how good I did. I don't remember exactly but like 4-5" at 200 yards.

The size of the dot makes no difference in precision. You zero the dot just like you would your iron sights.
You don't cover the target with the dot (or your front iron sight) you put the target right at the tip of the top of the dot (or the top of your front iron sight).

Thanks for the info.  EMSFlyer thanks too for your detailed post.  

I'd like a magnified red dot, so I'm thinking a 2x Aimpoint or the Leupold CQ/T
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 12:43:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Something to consider (not that this nessessarily applies to you guys).

Should we pick a rifle and sighting system for what we intend to do with it 90% of the time ? The stuff that is realistic ?
Or, should we pick a rifle and sighting system primarily designed for the other 10% of the stuff we might have a need or desire to shoot ?

Put another way: It is realistic to expect to defend  yourself  at ranges inside 50 yards. It is realistic to expect to make shots in the hunting field out to maybe 200 yards. It is realistic to imagine that in military combat you might be able to see and engage an enemy soldier closer than 200 yards. Afterall, he is going to probably be moving, he is probably going to be using cover and concealment, he is going to possibly shooting back at you, he is probably not going to be alone, you are not going to be shooting from a bench, you are going to be tired, not well fed etc. With all that in mind, how many 400 yard shots do you think you are going to make ? For plinking, target shooting, formal gun schools, and any type of "tactical" competition: I am mainly going to be shooting at 200 yards or less.

So, IMO I buy a rifle and sighting system PRIMARILY for the more likely 0-200 yard range but which is ALSO capable of making a 400 yard shot if the opportunity/nessessity presents itself.

Obviously, if I was setting out the intention of primarily taking shots at 200 yards plus, I wouldn't be shooting a FAL to begin with. And, I would be using a highly magnified optic that wouldn't be appropriate for those close/quick shots.
Any set-up you come up with is a compromise in some way. So, I compromise in the direction of what I think I am going to be doing the most of.
The Aimpoint is a very significant improvement over the stock iron sights IMO. It is the most appropriate sight for a military type assult/battle rifle, again, IMO.

Just my idea. YMMV
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:10:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Very well stated and good advice.

Thanks,

Flyer
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:26:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I have an Aipoint on one Para and a Bushnell (low end Eotech made for Bushnell) on the other Para.  The Bushnell doesn't have the sheild and is only adjustable for brightness.  I have one on an AR also.

All three sights have stood up to thousands of rounds of recoil.  Only problem was a weak battery in one of the Bushnells.  Holding a zero hasn't been a problem either.

On the FALs, I use the Grenedier Precision Converable Optics Platform.  The Aimpoint is on the low rings and doesn't co-witness.  The Bushnell sits directly on the top cover and doesn't co-witness either.  However, I haven't found that to be a problem.  The AR set-up does co-witness and I have back-up sights.

My days of the tactical Airborne Infanty stuff are over and I don't hunt with these rifles.  I use the FALs primarily at the range, (100 yards) and as back-ups to the AR, which, along with the Para-Ordanance 14-45, are my primary home defense weapons.

While I'm not an expert on all the sights and mounts available, I feel that to get a sight that co-witnesses on the FALs, it would have to sit really low or be very short.

I really like the way the sights work the way they are mounted and the way work.  Quick acquistion and return to target after firing.  They work for me.

I wish sights like this were availible years ago when I was toting an M-16 around.

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 2:42:43 AM EDT
[#10]
i got an aimpoint to cowitness on one of my FALs by using the standard AP mount.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top