Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2006 7:28:46 AM EDT
Yesterday I took my new (used but new to me) British SLR out to the range.  It is a British pars kit built on an Agentine reciever.  It has a flash hider, bayo lug anf Trilux 4x scope.  

I used 3 differnt ammos to get a feel for it.  USGI Mil. Surp,  Isreali Mil. Surp., Chilean Mil. Surp.

I fired a total of 120 round at 200 Meters at a human size poilice pistol target.  My total group for any (all ammos more or less simialr) was not less than 12" although the Chilaen was closer to 14".  Shots were all over the place.  

I also has 2 jams.  The first was a classic stovepipe the secod cought the ejected round perfectly reversed in the reciever with the primer against the chamber and the neck against the bolt face.  One happened with USGI the other with Isreali. Other than that the gun functioned well, trigger was crisp and all else worked well.  

I have no experience with this firing system so my questions are: 1) What is up with accuracy?  2) Should I be worried about the jams, can they be corrected?  

I can also add that ALL brass had a neck that was flat on one side after ejection.  

Any assistance is helpful.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:07:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Some observations/tips:

- the flattening on the neck of the ejected brass is completely normal
- ejection problems can sometimes be caused by the gas system setting - there is a single-shot procedure you can use to adjust the gas setting, which is almost always going to be sensitive to the ammo type you're using.  Look at the FAL files forum in the FAQ for the gas system adjustment procedure:

www.falfiles.com

- bring the target in to the 50 - 75 meter range, and use your iron sights as a first-order check for grouping/accuracy
- if the rifle produces tight groups at that range with iron sights, the next thing to check is your optic/mount.  If possible, do a rough zero at approximately 1/2 the distance of your intented range (i.e. zero at 100 meters if you're maximum intended range is 200 meters).  If you have access to a laser boresight this can be very helpful.  FAL groupings are affected to some extent by the gas setting/ammo in use. So make sure that your optic is mounted securely, rough zero w/laser boresight if possible, and tune from that point
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:32:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Will do.. thanks!   I will post agian when I can get it back out to the range.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:43:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Better to start at 25 yards when first testing/sighting in. Then move out to 100 and see what she does. Tighter headspacing may help. Also....the barrel may be worn out. 6moa at200mtrs is a bit lose. If the rifle is built right and likes the ammo your feeding it it should do 4moa or better. Of course trigger pull, chamber dimensions, bolt face trueness and other things will affect accuracy. They are like engines. You'll get max horsepower by doing all those little things that add up. You'll get better accuracy and better reliabilty the same way.

SLR is the Aussie designation for the L1A1. Brits are just L1A1's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top