Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2006 10:34:57 PM EDT
im having a suspicion that my DSA moves everyshot....because the groups is much tighter when using iron sights compared to shooting with my optics.    have you also experienced the same with your FAL scope mounts?

please help.

tnx
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:12:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you using the DSA extreme duty scope mount/dust cover?

I found that it's fairly easy when installing it to have the inner catches that lock the mount up to align poorly. It takes some tweaking and a real good eye at times to identify that all the catches are lined up and gripping the rifle as they should prior to tightening fully.

Unless you have it mounted rock solid to your rifle, it will slip a little, bare minimum and possibly worse if it continues to loosen.

I have great success with my mounts, but a little trial & error was a part of that process.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:28:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I replaced the 10 slotted bolts that came standard with the hex head bolts (easier to tighten without striping) and Loctited them down on my Extreme Duty cover, making sure the steel lock plates were in position. I only have 140 rounds thru mine, still tinkering with my IOR 4x24 scope I mounted, but got 10/10 rounds within an 8 inch ShootNSee someone had left on the 100 yard target at the range Thursday. I was shooting South African .308 from a bench.

You can use that for comparison- I have some more tweaking/familiarization to do.

ETA: I think I still have a review of the SA58 carbine- 16" barrel. The two writers had problems with the Luepold scope supplied. Finally took it off and, like you, had good groups with the irons. They didn't elaborate.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:22:17 PM EDT
[#3]
yes im using a DSA extreme duty scope mount/dust cover...  all screws are tight & are in place...im still figuring out what is happening  please help. tnx
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:48:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, if you're sure the scope mount is tight, I guess the next thing to check would be the rings.  But as mentioned above, be positive that the mount is solid.  I had a similar problem with mine.  It looked tight, and felt tight, but I had a wandering zero.  Turned out that not all of the locking plates were aligned properly.  Even a little shift will result in big changes at distance.  

Also, not to sound insulting, but is your scope a quality unit?  
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:33:52 PM EDT
[#5]
my scope is a  Bushnell elite 3200   10x40 mildot...
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:32:45 AM EDT
[#6]
No offense intended on your choice of scope.....but it may be that your scope is not
holding zero.

I've had this happen several times with various brands of scopes mounted on FAL's. Including a nice 4-12 Bushnell. FAL's are really hard on scopes. At first you can get a zero but after 100 rounds or so your zero will begin to drift around a little.

If your DSA mount is really tight then I doubt it the mount. Re-check and loc-tite the rings.

I have a 4x Nikon on my FAL with a ARMS mount and it seems to hold zero so far. If it starts to drift, I'll send it back to Nikon. Try a low end Leupold or a Nikon scope or some other high quality brand and I bet you'll have better luck.

Be safe,

Flyer
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:32:19 AM EDT
[#7]
You might try another scope if possible and see.  I will say that my Bushnell 3200 is holding up to the beating thus far.  Well over 1000 rounds and zero seems to be holding.   That said it's hard to prove that it isn't wobbeling a small amount as my groups have never been much better than 1.5" with even the best ammo.  That would leave some room for it to drift and be difficult to seperate from bad shooting.

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:18:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I haven't had any problems with mine. In fact, the only problem I had was with an ARMS mount that came loose. Other than that rock solid. Not saying you couldn't have a problem with yours, but may be rings or scope. I've more than once seen a scope that didn't shoot well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top