Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2006 9:57:32 AM EDT
I found a DSA STG58 with flashhider about a month ago.  I finally took it to the range Sunday. It did was a pleasure to shoot.  I like the ergonomics and sights on it better than my PTR91.  I was using surplus SA 7.62x51 and had no FTF or FTE in  about  40 rounds.  I sighted it in at 50 yards with the biggest adjustment required in elevation. it took about 24 clicks up to get it dead on at that distance.  If I could change one thing it would be making the trigger a little smoother. It is a great MBR and not very heavy for its size.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:00:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I have my dealer working on one now and just got off the phone with DSA. It will be a para STG58 with 16inch barrel. I still have to decide which reciever to get. I'm thinking of the type1. I hope it shoots as well as my standard SA M1A (Winchester barrel). I get 1 inch groups open sight at 50 and 1.5 to 3 inch groups at 100 with SA 308.

What barrel length do you have and what groups do you get with it?

Can't wait to get it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:23:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine has the full length 21 in barrel and I was shooting about a 1.5 in group when I stopped at 50 yrds with the open sights.  I was a little intimidated by the gas regultar but it came with the  regulator on 3 and worked fine so I know of no reason to change the setting.  That is nothing to write home about but it was my first day with it and I was sighting in another rifle also and of course their triggers were very different.  I am not sure what type of reciever mine came with so I will have to learn the differences between the three types so I can tell.  That 16 in para model sounds great!  These rifles have a very solid and comfortable feel to them. I am sure you will enjoy yours.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:42:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one too.  Its built simpler than an AK, and tougher than a tank.  And it shoots a real bullet!  
When the democratic, gay, space zombies start parachuting out of the sky from UN black helicopters, thats the first rifle I'm grabbing.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:20:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
 I was a little intimidated by the gas regultar but it came with the  regulator on 3 and worked fine so I know of no reason to change the setting.  

Intimidated? Did you really post that?  Good grief man, it is just a little steel ring. It had threads inside of it. You turn it one way and the gas port is covered up. Turn it the other way and the gas port is uncovered. What could possibly be intimidating about that?

As for reasons to change the setting, here are 3.
1. If you adjust the gas so that the rifle cycles reliably without getting too much gas, your rifle will not be getting the snot beat out of it for no reason. As a result, the parts will last longer.
2. The groups size can be altered by the gas setting.
3.  When the gas is set properly, the shooter has a more pleasant experience and thus his/her shooting skills improve.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:30:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 I was a little intimidated by the gas regultar but it came with the  regulator on 3 and worked fine so I know of no reason to change the setting.  

Intimidated? Did you really post that?  Good grief man, it is just a little steel ring. It had threads inside of it. You turn it one way and the gas port is covered up. Turn it the other way and the gas port is uncovered. What could possibly be intimidating about that?

1. If you adjust the gas so that the rifle cycles reliably without getting too much gas, your rifle will not be getting the snot beat out of it for no reason. As a result, the parts will last longer.
3.  When the gas is set properly, the shooter has a more pleasant experience and thus his/her shooting skills improve.

Didn't know that. I've had my SA58 a couple of months and haven't shot it much. I'm going to take care of that tomorrow- off to the range.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:17:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine shoots better with my reloads than with surplus ammo.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:15:11 AM EDT
[#7]
The nice thing about zeroing at 50 is that you should be dead on at 200 (obviously with the sight on 200).

1.5 at 50 with SA is pretty good.  If you shoot factory you might see as much as .5 inch decreae in group size.  Mine shoots 2 MOA using 150g American Eagle and 4 MOA using Surplus, all over the X ring at 50.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:17:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The nice thing about zeroing at 50 is that you should be dead on at 200 (obviously with the sight on 200).

1.5 at 50 with SA is pretty good.  If you shoot factory you might see as much as .5 inch decreae in group size.  Mine shoots 2 MOA using 150g American Eagle and 4 MOA using Surplus, all over the X ring at 50.

Are you saying that if I zero my 200yd setting at 50 yds, it wll be right on at 200yds also?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:24:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you saying that if I zero my 200yd setting at 50 yds, it wll be right on at 200yds also?

<stupid post removed>

ETA: Never mind.  My ballistics calculator says about 25 yards not 50 yards.  At 50 you'd be about 1" high.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:30:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Yep, pretty much.  I zero'd mine at 200.  
I just took the wife to the range (see other post) and at 50m I was all over the X ring without any adjustments.  I shoot poppers at 200 quite often and it is right on for that as well.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:22:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, pretty much.  I zero'd mine at 200.  
I just took the wife to the range (see other post) and at 50m I was all over the X ring without any adjustments.  I shoot poppers at 200 quite often and it is right on for that as well.

Interesting.  You are shooting 147gr surpplus or something else?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:50:38 AM EDT
[#12]
When I zeroed this rifle the first time it was at 50meters with American Eagle 150g ball.  I then confirmed the 200 zero by shooting for score on paper.   4 inch group in the black.  I've confirmed the settings later on steel at 200 as well.  

Last time out, I was shooting 147g ball surplus, Indian manf. I believe.  I was actually surprised, but it really was all over the X.  Pretty good group for surplus, but I pulled one round out of 10 shots ruining the pattern.  I wont call it a flyer and measure without it, I hate when magazines articles do that.  "Well it shot a 3 round .30 inch group at 600 yards with two fliers."  

I haven't shot the surplus stuff at 200 yet.  The barrel was an 18 inch para, cut down to 16.25 and a Holland brake screwed on.  Full length gas system, reg on 3 with surplus ammo.  I believe I have the gas port at .116 or .118.  I'll have to look again, but I was thinking about opening up one more time.  My goal was to have the gas reg on 4, but it runs great right now.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:47:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:10:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Guess since he is new to FALs and the idea of adjusting his gas system, he was asking for a little help, advice, and encouragement.  Are you always this arrogant to those that know less than you? Or did you just get kicked around in jr high and its payback time?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:15:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I am learning about the FAL all the time. I talked with some guys at the toy store who have FALs.  They shoot SA 7.62 with the FAL dialed in at 5 so I am going to readjust mine and try it out tomorrow.  I look forward to seeing how it works.  I understand that 5 is better than 3 because it lets more gas escape and is therefore easier on the rifle.  That is always a bonus.  Thanks to you guys who educate the new guys and share your experiences on the net and in person!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:36:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<stupid post removed>

ETA: Never mind.  My ballistics calculator says about 25 yards not 50 yards.  At 50 you'd be about 1" high.

Check the inputs to your ballistic calculator.  If you have the bullet weight and ballistic coefficient correctly input as well as the muzzle velocity, check the input value for the height above bore for your sights.

Do you know off hand what the HOB for the irons is?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:42:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Care to explain how group size is altered by gas setting? This is the first time i've heard that.

Blackops_1.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:25:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:15:19 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I am learning about the FAL all the time. I talked with some guys at the toy store who have FALs.  They shoot SA 7.62 with the FAL dialed in at 5 so I am going to readjust mine and try it out tomorrow.  I look forward to seeing how it works.  I understand that 5 is better than 3 because it lets more gas escape and is therefore easier on the rifle.  That is always a bonus.  Thanks to you guys who educate the new guys and share your experiences on the net and in person!

You need to set the gas system up for your rifle shooting your ammo. Every rifle is different (more or less). You want to open the gas system up completely, test fire by inserting a magazine with a single round in it, fire and adjust the gas system until the bolt locks back on the empty mag reliably. You may have to readjust for different kinds of ammo, some ammo is hotter than others. As your springs wear out you'll need to adjust it, and if you don't clean it when shooting alot you can close it to get it to run reliably dirty. My para runs at 6.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top