Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2006 12:03:07 PM EDT
So i have seen all the threads about building a FAL, but i have a SAR 4800 (inherited) with the buthole stock and no flashhider/break. So since it is factory assembled rifle is it already 922r compliant? can i just throw some new furniture on it? (i searched through the 4 pages of threads already)
Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:23:48 PM EDT
[#1]
No, you can't change it's configuration unless you make sure it is 922r compliant. The firearm has the butthole stock, which means it has to stay in the configuration it was imported with (and yes, at least some of the parts on the Springfield are imported) until/unless you make sure you have the right number of US parts (no more than 10 foreign on the gun).
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:01:35 PM EDT
[#2]
ok...So is there anyway to tell which compliant parts there are? I would like a flashhider at least, but  i really cant afford sinking a couple hundred bucks into this rifle--id rather spend it on Ammo!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:20:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I would assume that any part not labelled "Made in USA" or at least "US" isn't. If it is still in the butthole configuration, chances are few, if any, parts on the rifle are US made. As with any type of rifle, you have to be willing to spend some money to de-ban it. Head over to FALfiles and ask these same questions. You will be directed to several good vendors and others who can get you the parts you need to evilize it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:06:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks dar48 i appriciate it
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:19:56 PM EDT
[#5]
You have to replace 7 specific parts to change out the stock.

These are the parts and you can choose which ever you want to replace
Hammer/trigger/sear group (3 parts)
Gas piston
Grip
Handguards
Stock
Floorplate/follower (2 parts) or US magazine
Charging handle
Flash hider/muzzle brake
Receiver
Barrel

The furniture would be worth 3 parts as you plan on swapping to a different stock anyway then the H/T/S  and a gas piston but you will be spending some bucks to do it. Gunthings.com had penguin furniture fairly cheap so it comes down to the HTS group being th emost pricey.
The penguin arms handguard are kinda funky though as they are sort of angled and makes the barrel look bent so I would go with the DSA handguards.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:26:44 PM EDT
[#6]
So a second question-what are some good spare parts to have around?? are these parts universal to FAL's, or do they need to specific to the type?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top