Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2006 6:04:37 PM EDT
I got an offer on a Cenrury Arms R1A1 308 Sporter in trade for something I have but I have zero clue on these things ... someone point me in the right direction etc. pros / cons . can a folding stock be attached to them etc... are they metric or inch , etc
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:51:03 PM EDT
[#1]
If you don't know FAL's, it's probably best to stay away from the Century. It's worth around 400 to 500 bucks IF it works, so test firing it is a darn good idea if you still want to trade. Also, Century FAL's, even ones that run great, have very little resale value. That said, if you can get one that works well, they can be a darned fine rifle for the price.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:14:16 PM EDT
[#2]
In Anchorage?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:14:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I am yes , but it was an offer from lower 48 ...I've been told all the L1A1's are standard ... and I should go with metric ?   any truth
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:55:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am yes , but it was an offer from lower 48 ...I've been told all the L1A1's are standard ... and I should go with metric ?   any truth

In the lower 48, the metric pattern rifles are more prolific and easier to find parts and accessories for. Just for the record, the threads on both pattern rifles are standard threads. The use of "metric" and "inch" pattern is misleading. The terms European pattern ( metric) and Commonwealth pattern ( inch) are more accurate.

The Century built rifles are problematic in regard to what type they are. Century Arms put R1A1 on all of the FAL type rifles that they assemble. Some are European pattern, some are Commonwealth pattern, and still others are a hybrid of the two patterns.

The newest FAL type rifles assembled by Century arms have a much better reputation for quality than those made a year ago or more. That having been said, the advice given previously in this thread about Century Arms rifles being unsuited to "newbies" is sound. Also the estimate of their value is accurate as well. At least it is in the lower 48.

By the Way, the designation R1A1 is a marketing name made up by Century arms. It is NOT a military designation for FAL type rifles such as L1A1, C1A1,R1, StG58,  G1 etc.

L1A1, L1A2 and C1A1 are military designations for the Commonwealth pattern FAL type rifles. More commonly referred to as inch pattern. R1, StG58, G1, 50:00, 50:61, 50:63 are some of the military designation for European pattern FAL type rifles. These are more commonly referred to as metric pattern.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:54:17 AM EDT
[#5]
excellent info ... just printed that out for future ref ... thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top