Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2006 1:22:27 PM EDT
Any fellow sinister types out there?  
I've been considering different .308 semi auto options.
Feel free to chime in with AR10, M1A, DPMS, etc. experience.
Burned the hell out of my cheek/chin area rapid firing  SP1 a few years ago.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:36:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm right handed, but left-eye dominant.  So I shoot long guns "southpaw".   The FAL feels very natural to operate to me.   The charging handle is very easilly operated by reaching your right hand over the receiver.  And by installing an "inch" mag release (with proper pivot pin and spring), I can dump a mag by extending my trigger finger.
No worries!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:37:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I looked at them B4 I bought my M1A . Conventionaly they are not LH freindly at all .

BUT as you're left handed and have had to use right handed stuff all your life I'm sure there is "someway" to deal W/ it .

As far as getting the headstamp burned into into your cheek by an SP1..... that sucks .

So what you do is pull out the ejector spring and cut 1.5 coils off of it . 2 if needed but I've never had to cut more than that . It just changes the angle that the branding iron goes .

Life is good agian .
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:49:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I am a lefty and have a few FALs. I can live with them and as SrBenelli said with the inch mag catch it makes mag changes quicker. For me the most lefty friendly rifle I own is the M1A (ambi saftey, charging handle on the right side, ambi mag catch), second is the AR10, FAl and last the HK series (not very lefty friendly at all). Have never had a problem with brass hitting me with any of the rifles listed.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:41:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Never shot an AR without a brass deflector, so I can't comment on that.

Shot plenty of FALs, M1As and Mini14s, HKs...never had any trouble as a lefty.  

The only rifles I've thought it was a PITA being a lefty with, were bolt guns.  It's just a pain in the ass and having a lefty version makes them a pleasure shooting.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:44:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies.  I have noticed the "Garand" type action (M1 Carbine, Mini 14, and of course M1) work well for me.  Keep 'em coming with any info on reliability, accuracy of the different .308 models.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:33:16 AM EDT
[#6]
The only thing I wish I had on mine is an ambi safety.  Otherwise it is fine.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:01:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm like Bennelli, right handed, left eye dominant, shoot lefty.  I actually think the FAL is pretty lefty friendly.  Charging handle and bolt release (not sure if these are the right terms, but I think you know what I mean) are easy to operate.  Never had brass deflected into my face.  Once in a while I've had the ejected brass hit my right arm/wrist, although others don't seem to have this problem.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:53:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

HUGE +1.

The only issue I have with both of mine is the saftey.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:02:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HUGE +1.

The only issue I have with both of mine is the saftey.

\

I actually use the knuckle of my trigger finger to operate the safety.  Never found the need for an ambi-safety.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top