Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2006 10:58:53 PM EDT
Did Imbel ever sell completed rifles in America or did they only sell receivers? I have found an Imbel L1A1 style FAL which is a post ban weapon, though it does have a permanantly affixed compensator. The weapon is brand new in the box and still has the factory grease/packaging. Price is 675.00, which seems pretty good considering it appears to be similar in quality to the Springfield and DSA STG58 which they also have. There are no markings anywhere on the weapon, with the exception of Imbel. I was told it was an Imbel factory gun by an employee who seems to be knowledgible about FAL's, but I wasn't aware of Imbel ever selling complete rifles.
Any idea of what this rifle is? I am tempted to buy it as its in excellent shape and the price is extremely fair, provided its of decent manufacutre. With the exception of the compensator, the rifle looks identical to a L1A1 and is very close to a "milspec" FAL, being free of bells/whistles. I would really like an FAL which is "cheap" enough to be abused/enjoyed and of high enough quality to withstand the beating and be used defensively. Any insight?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:02:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought the L1a1 was in inch and I know imbel does metric
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:12:17 AM EDT
[#2]
The only factory produced Imbels in the US will be marked Springfield Armory.
Some "Inch" Imbel receivers were produced for, I believe, Century. These are only inch in that they have the cut for the folding CH and are cut for inch mags. These recievers were then built up with  inch parts kits. If it is a Century build beware, it may have issues.
With current kit and reciever prices $675 is probably less than the value of the parts.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:37:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Hard to say, imbel receiver, muzzle brake, $675. Sounds like it might be a Century rifle to me.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:19:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Imbel, themselves, never imported complete FALs, but the Springfield SAR-48/4800's are just renamed Imbels.
Imbel did make an inch receiver, very much sought after now.
The gun you're describing is an inch kit built on a metric Imbel receiver by CIA. I think its too much.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:36:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Imbel made inch style recievers. I believe all were imported by Century. They sold some by themselves and some built into rifles.To my knowlege Imbel built no complete inch pattern rifles or parts other than the reciever.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:32:33 PM EDT
[#6]
What Lon_Moer and 1811GNR say about Springfield Armory Inc. marked Imbel rifles (SAR-48)...

Many of the inch rifle kits that Century used to build up "L1A1" rifles used an Imbel receiver that was marked L1A1.  It used the inch folding charging handle, but was cut for metric mags...

In addition, as mentioned, a few "true" inch pattern Imbel upper receivers were imported by Century (cut for inch mags)...

Forrest

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top