Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2006 9:35:21 PM EDT
ok building an FAL... how easy.. and where do i get the parts?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:26:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Everything is do it yourself, except  (in the general case) timing the barrel and setting the headspace.

Timing the barrel is going to require a receiver wrench and a good barrel vise, or some variant thereof. Timing the barrel requires that the barrel hand tightens at an appropriate place so that when the barrel is tightened using the wrench the torque is correct and the front sight winds up top dead center. This sometimes requires removing material from the barrel shoulder or other measures.

Setting the headspace requires the pin gauges necessary to determine the correct locking shoulder as well as the appropriate go-no go headspace gauges. and of course the correct locking shoulder (which inevitably wont be the one that comes with your kit )

Plus you would probably want to invest in the gunplumbers FAL book as it gives you tips and tricks for doing the above tasks.

So you are looking at about 200 in tools or so. Is cheaper ( unless you want to build a bunch, and I think those days are over) to have someone do the timing and headspace for you.

Parts kits can be found on the EE or over at falfiles.com, prices seem to have gone up a bit though.
The STG58 kits ( made by Steyr) will have the best metal and metalwork, but you will pay a premium, I think DSArms sells these complete kits still.

And then you need a receiver. Seems like an Imbel or DS Arms receiver is the way to go. Imbels are no longer imported and the price of them is approaching DS Arms. So you might as well get a DS Arms receiver, as it counts as a US part for 922R compliance.

With 922R you are only allowed 10 foreign parts on a complete firearm, so with a US receivered FAL you would also want to replace :
Gas Piston
Flash hider / muzzle brake
Hammer / Trigger / Sear
Charging Handle.
with US Made parts (TAPCO, Falconarms or DSA)

That would get you 7 US parts and keep you legal.

The following are smiths I have heard of who seem to do good work
CGW company
Arizona Response Systems
Arizona Expert Arms
Mand M gunsmithing

Earl Hickman in Colorado Springs timed and headspaced mine. Did a nice job.

I am sure you can find other smiths as well.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:32:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Consider that building an FAL at home is now more expensive than buying one already assembled. The market has changed drastically in the last 2 years and the result is that the good ol days of FAL building are pretty much over.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:42:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:45:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Consider that building an FAL at home is now more expensive than buying one already assembled. The market has changed drastically in the last 2 years and the result is that the good ol days of FAL building are pretty much over.

I assembled one a couple of months ago for cheaper than a new one.  I was a little over $800, including tools, STG-58 kit, US parts, Entreprise reciever, and a new LS.

I made no reference to a new FAL. I stated that buying one "already assembled" is less expensive than building one.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:51:07 PM EDT
[#5]
buying a race car aready built is cheaper than building one.. but yet people build them... its the pride in saying "I built that"....

anyways it seems alittle harder than i'm willing to try.... i'll stick withh ar's... thanks anyways...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:45:37 PM EDT
[#6]
However, dont let the build process stop you.

Get your kit, then pay one of those smiths to assemble and refinish it.
CGW does it for about 200... and will be freshly parkerized

Or do the upper only for $95...
then you put together the lower which is easy. Easier than an AR.

Then you have your FAL.

Cheap mags, very reliable, can be very slick if shortenend and para'ed .
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:51:26 PM EDT
[#7]
First thing you'll need is a kit.  I'd sugest you view this link for details on cost.

Link to FAL Kit on EE Board

Regards,
Gary
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top