Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2006 10:29:29 AM EDT
I'm in the process of getting a DSA Type 1 Receiver for a fixed magazine stock build in California.   Once I get my receiver in and registered, I plan on buying everything else to build a Para Congo model, just with a fixed 10 round magazine.

This will be my first FAL and need to find a good gunsmith to put everything together.   Can anyone refer me to some of the better gunsmiths out there?

Also, I read a few articles on the difference between the Type 1 and Type 2 receivers.   Is there really any reason to pick one over the other?  I know the Type 1 is lighter, but is the receiver more prone to breakage?   Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:12:09 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm in the process of getting a DSA Type 1 Receiver for a fixed magazine stock build in California.   Once I get my receiver in and registered, I plan on buying everything else to build a Para Congo model, just with a fixed 10 round magazine.

This will be my first FAL and need to find a good gunsmith to put everything together.   Can anyone refer me to some of the better gunsmiths out there?

Also, I read a few articles on the difference between the Type 1 and Type 2 receivers.   Is there really any reason to pick one over the other?  I know the Type 1 is lighter, but is the receiver more prone to breakage?   Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I highly recommend Rich at  CGW
He's built an Imbel for me and will be building two more STGs soon.

Ypur biggest obstacel will be getting the para Fal stock and lower.  DSA has a long waiting list.  If you are not a traditionalist, Rich sells Vlopsi lowers.
As to the types, that is a matter of personal preference, neither is really stronger or weaker in semi-auto mode.  I like type II myself.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:33:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Is a folding stock allowed in California?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

If it has a fixed 10 rd mag then yes it can have a folder and all the other evil goodies. The problem is there are no para stripper clip dust covers out yet but one company is planning one.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:49:53 PM EDT
[#4]
dont need a stripper clip cover really. but it does help :). i just use mine with the orginal cover on it and load single rounds in. i tryed the tapco scope mount / stripper clip cover and i ended up stripping out the  sides that hold it strait.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:09:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Where are you guys getting your non-fuctioning magazine catches at?

Thanks!
mrf2
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:54:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yes, but the Kaliban also require 30" OAL folded.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:56:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Where are you guys getting your non-fuctioning magazine catches at?

Thanks!
mrf2

DIY California FAL
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:09:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, either you need to use the 21" barrel or if you use a shorter barrel permanently attach a muzzle brake/ flash hider that is long enough.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:49:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, either you need to use the 21" barrel or if you use a shorter barrel permanently attach a muzzle brake/ flash hider that is long enough.

There's no requirement for a muzzle device to be "permanent", except for NFA barrel length.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:07:17 AM EDT
[#10]
for the barrel length if you shove a hider on it its concidered part of the barrel only the stupid parts count is affected by this. so if a fh adds 2 inches on the barrel from 18 then its 20.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:35:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's no requirement for a muzzle device to be "permanent", except for NFA barrel length.

In California we have a 30" minimum length requirement on rifles (with stock folded).  If the brake is permanently attached then it counts in the length, if it isn't it doesn't.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top