Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2006 2:04:04 PM EDT
Sometime soon, I hope to add an IOR 4x24 30mm scope to my new FAL para.

Riflescopes.com shows a set

(High) that looks like it would let you co-witness the Belgian Para flip rear sight.

I'll be contacting Riflescopes to talk with someone about it, but I was wondering if anyone here has this combo and can tell me how it works. Good cheek weld, or too high. Look ok in the picture. Do the mounts install/remain secure?

Thanks for any help here.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#1]
i doubt you'll find a scope (magnified or not) that will co-wit on an FAL, especially the metric line of sight.
i'd like to be wrong, tho...
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:29:00 PM EDT
[#2]
If you look at the IOR mounts, there is an oval cutout under the rings. I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 on a set of YHM risers that you can see the FAL iron sights through, sighting through a cutout under the risers. "Co witness probably isn't the precise term. "Alternative witness"? Anyway, that's the idea. I'm going to re-mount the YHMs and try to guesstimate how the IOR mounts compare. I'm hoping I can talk to someone at Riflescopes who can give me a precise height to the center of the rings, or get some information from someone here with the setup. No hurry, this is down the road- by this summer at the earliest. I want to shoot with the iron sights for awhile and get comfortable with them anyway.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:10:50 PM EDT
[#3]
The only problem with this approach will be your check weld.   You put high rings on a FAL and it will be too high for a decent check weld, you will end up with what I call a jaw weld.  In general the FAL doesn't lend itself well to optics and the stock seems to be designed for iron sights.  If you use a riser on the stock you will have a hard time using the iron sights.  

My solution was to use an aimpoint with a QD mount.  You can't cowitness but you can remove the aimpoint if it goes down.  Of course YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:47:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Unless I stumble across something or someone else knows of another option it looks like you're right.

Larue Tactical has a set that looks pretty good

They LOOK lower than the IOR high rings. Naturally, they are "Unavailable." Naturally.

My main reason for wanting to use the para sights with the scope mounted is convenience- one less piece of equipment to lug to the range, and I really don't have a need for a spotting scope any place else. It was a good setup Saturday and sped things along.

Thanks for your reply. Sort of reinforces the conclusion I'm coming to at this point.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:15:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:33:04 AM EDT
[#6]
For the IOR scope mentioned I would not go with the high rings - they are not necessary and make cheekweld very spotty.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:51:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
For the IOR scope mentioned I would not go with the high rings - they are not necessary and make cheekweld very spotty.

Very likely. I think I'm going to remount my Bushnell setup and measure from the top of the rail to the horizontal center of the scope for a reference and try to get the same information from the vendors regarding any options.

Thanks, RS. I'll check out the ARMS/Hensoldt. I think I remember the ARMS item from my research.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:39:31 AM EDT
[#8]
IIRC the Tapco scope mount is a quite a bit lower than the dsa or arms mounts. Possibly with Izzy/Argy front/rear sights...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:44:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
IIRC the Tapco scope mount is a quite a bit lower than the dsa or arms mounts. Possibly with Izzy/Argy front/rear sights...

Thanks, Joe. I'll check it out. I did find some Weaver rings that look like what I'm after- aluminum, and 1". Sorry, no pic, couldn't upload a bmp to photobucket.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:23:30 PM EDT
[#10]

I have the same idea with the 4x CQB reticule and QD 30mm rings on my GP mount.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:13:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I called SWFA and got the dimensions of the IOR mount. I'm going to put the Bushnell back on the FAL with and without the YHM risers and "guestimate" and get an idea of how it would compare.

I took a laser level and shot the laser thru the rear site until it hit the front sight. I slipped a ruler across the rail until the laser hit it- 1/4"

I'd like to fudge a little, say 3/16" from the top of the rail to the bottom of the "oval" hole. Might take a little machine shop work.

I don't know SWFA return policy, but if it's close, I may see if they'll let me order one and try it out. May take a couple of tries, but I think it will work.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:50:38 AM EDT
[#12]
After briefly flirting with the idea of an ACOG, fiscal reality set in and I ordered the IOR. I got the YHM risers

and the IOR medium QD mounts

I mounted them last night and I can sight down the top of the rail and through the cutout on the risers. Eye relief is a scientifically measured 2 1/2 fingers wide. I can get a good cheek weld, but I have to fold the sling swivel on the left of the upper receiver forward or my schnoze might take a lick.

Feels good standing in the den. I'm going to do my best to get to the range this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:08:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top