Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2006 5:03:43 PM EDT
i tried a couple of metrics - i noticed something i need clarification on.....

when locked in, the smaller tab on the metric does not lock into the recess for the front locking "lug"  as on the inch pattern mags.  the rear locks up but the front tab on the metric was "free" by a small space.

the mag fed alright, and it wobbled just a little, but is this what i should be seeing?  i was wondering if the front locking tab should be in the recess or not.    

if someone can clarify this it'll be helpful.  thanks in advance!    
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:46:14 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks.

the mag locked in on the back side but when i looked up into the mag well from the underside, the front tab of the mag was not even resting in the recess for the inch mag front lug.
it wobbled some but fed alright.  

i was wondering about the gap - if you look up into yours when your metric mag is in place, is there a gap between the front locking tab and the magwell front?

i just don't want to pull the mag loose by accident when shooting.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:45:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I wonder if you are mistaken.  A FAL mag will not stay in the mag well unless the front beak or lip is inserted into the recess.   A metric mag will lock into an inch receiver because the beak is smaller than the recess.   Such mags may be a bit loose but will usually lock in and cannot be removed except by pushing on the mag release.  The looseness, however, may cause feeding jams.

Drakejake
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:35:19 AM EDT
[#4]
hmm....i need to post some pic's i guess.  i'll recheck it and see, though.   thanks.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:50:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I have an L1A1 built on a DSA L1A1 upper receiver. DSA used original Lithgow drawings to manufacture their L1A1 receiver. Metric mags do not wobble in the inch receiver, inch mags lock up a little tighter. If you have a Century or Entreprise receiver, that is most likely your problem. I have seen Entreprise L1A1 receivers that were so badly out of spec the mag well was too tight to take either inch or metric mags.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:00:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I am new to L1A1s but I seem to have one mag that came with the rifle that locks up tight.  From what I can tell, it is a metric mag.  I bought more metric mags and they do lock up but still have that wobble.  

The two mags look the same to me.

I am not any help to you, but have a similar problem.

thanks,

nct
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:21:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Metric mags have a small beak or lip in the front punched out from the body of the mag.  Inch mags have a much larger, semi-rectangular piece of metal welded on.  Inch receivers will have a larger indention in front of the mag well than Metric receivers to accommodate the larger latching piece on the front of the Inch mag.  Metric mags can go into the Inch recess, but the lip on Inch mags is too big for the much smaller recess or hole in metric receivers.

Drakejake
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:24:15 AM EDT
[#8]
machaira ;
The fit you see is normal for metric mags inserted into inch cut receivers. As long as the mag does not easily move/slide forward in the receiver once latched, it should feed correctly.

The inch mag has a wider and longer front lug attachment than a metric. Thus the reason that you may have heard, that you can use metric mags in an inch receiver but not inch mags in a metric receiver.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:07:44 PM EDT
[#9]
hey, thanks for all the replies.  i picked up a few metric mags locally but have only tried out two of them this afternoon.  both worked well enough, not much wobble.

they'll be good for range work i'm sure.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top