Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2006 6:27:06 PM EDT

I'm looking in the near future to have an FAL rifle made (probably an L1A1 type) and do not have the time or resources to do this project myself. Does anyone know what company(or a reputable gunsmith) specializes in building FALs to order?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:21:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:00:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought my Fal used but it was built by Rich at Century Gun Works in Nevada. Beautiful work.

http://www.cgwguns.com/
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:06:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I can't speak personally for Arizona Response built weapons,  but they have a great reputation.
Arizona Expert Arms makes great stuff, I have personally fondled and fired a nice STG 58 built by Derek.
And I have actually been in Rich's(Century Gun Works) shop in Gardnerville, and his work is AMAZINGLY AWESOME.  
Other choices include Ohio Rapid Fire and Investment Grade Firearms.

Based on personal experience I can wholeheartedly reccomend CGW and AZEX without question. Nice guys who will happily work with you on what you want.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:57:15 AM EDT
[#4]
another one for Rich at CGW...the guy is amazing and really takes care of his customers....BIG PLUS 1 for him
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Mark Tucker at Coyote Gulch Armory has built two FALs and an underfolder Polish AK for me.  He does outstanding work and is a great guy to work with.  Pretty good turnaround time also, compared to many out there, and with reasonable prices.

Here is one of the ones he built for me:

My 18" Imbel

The other was a G-1 that turned out to be really beautiful.  Both run perfectly and are very accurate.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:21:25 AM EDT
[#6]
"Moses" aka Johnny at the FALfiles does superior work

he and James Mayo still, to my knowledge, build at a place called CMP armory out of Concord, NC.

Gary
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:03:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Mark at Arizona Response Systems is a FAL God!  Here's a pre-rail handguard picture of the one he did for me last year.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:54:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I bought my Fal used but it was built by Rich at Century Gun Works in Nevada. Beautiful work.

+1 on Rich.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:04:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Absolutely stay away from VOW (Volunteer Ordnance Works / Dan Richardson).  

I have had 3 FAL's built buy 3 different 'smiths who have a great rep at the FAL Files. My Rich Banks (PA-Patriot) L1A1 is a work of art, but Rich is not currently doing builds (that I know of).

Although I have not had a rifle built from ARS, AZEX or CGW, they are the big boys when it comes to getting rave reviews from their customers.  If I had another kit to build, I would probably send it to Rich at CGW, and that is not meant as a knock against ARS or AZEX at all.

Two others to consider are Moses (Johnny / James Mayo) who was already mentioned, and Randy Kline (Sledgehammer Arms). Both have great reps at the FAL Files as well.

It has been my experience, that when getting a quote on build time, 1 week = 1 month - at least with the three smiths I've dealt with. YMMV
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:43:55 PM EDT
[#10]
AZEX goes the extra mile on work & customer service.  I have an ARS FAL but gunplumber isn't quite as nice as Derek at AZEX.

My experiences of course.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:51:30 PM EDT
[#11]
see my review @  http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=7&t=195105
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:10:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

he and James Mayo still, to my knowledge, build at a place called CMP armory out of Concord, NC.

Gary

Can you email me more info? Teaguefour(at)triad.rr.com
Thanks.
GLOCK-23
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:32:01 PM EDT
[#13]
James and Moses built mine a couple of years ago.  Great job all around.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:12:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I would say that any of the above that are being praised will do you right...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:27:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 on Rich.

+2 on CGW
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:59:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Mark at Arizona Response Systems is awesome.  However, I believe that he passed away recently based on information that was circulated around on the FN-FAL board.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#17]
NO! Not that Mark, T. Mark Graham. It was Mark Powell aka: FWRA ,that tragically passed away recently.
ARS is still running under the Gunplumber.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
NO! Not that Mark, T. Mark Graham. It was Mark Powell aka: FWRA ,that tragically passed away recently.
ARS is still running under the Gunplumber.

Yup...

Let's nip this one in the bud before it spreads too far...

Forrest

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:55:03 PM EDT
[#19]
+1 for AZEX

I have handled two of Derek's builds and they were awesome.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:28:24 PM EDT
[#20]
+1 for Moses
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:54:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Mark Tucker at Coyote Gulch Armory

I'll +1 Mark at Coyote Gulch.  He's done some barrel work and repark for me.  He does awesome work, far superior to what I expected.  I've seen some of his builds, as well, when I lived up in WA.  All of it was just great work.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:40:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Gary

Actually, they're in Dallas, NC (just north of Belmont/Gastonia).   But as you said, they do excellent work!  I'd put my Johnny/CMP built FALs up against anyone's!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:07:20 PM EDT
[#23]
+1 for ARS.   Mark can be abrupt, but he is a decent guy.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:15:28 PM EDT
[#24]
ARS builds an outstanding rifle. That said, if they still sell complete rifles, that is the way to go. I had some issues with the FCG on mine, and I got the distinct impression that if it had not been a rifle that they built with their parts, I'd have been out of luck getting it fixed.

Of course, this should be expected if you have a rifle built with your parts by anyone.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:34:07 PM EDT
[#25]
AZEX, hands down.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:59:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#27]
+1 on ARS.  Mark can be kind of gruff, and won't exactly hold your hand through the build process, but he is a 100% straight shooter and does top quality work.  However, before you send your gun out to him you might want to find out what his turn around time is.  At one point, shortly before he moved to a new facility, I think it was up to about 6 months - but that was a couple of years ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top