Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2006 7:31:00 AM EDT
Ok..I have been primarily an AR guy..but I have a .308 itch that needs scratching. I have decided on a DSA...I want a para folding stock...minimum of a 18 inch barrel...I want to be able to use both types of 20 rd mags...and I want the L1A1 type browning flash hider...not sure what type of scope I will want. So FAL experts, does this beats exist? how much will it cost me? Thanks for the advice chaps!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:06:48 AM EDT
[#1]
did you checked DS Arms?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:45:42 AM EDT
[#2]
a couple considerations for ya:
 Inch flash hiders thread on then are fixed with a ring that sits in the hider & a notch in the barrel, the ring being fixed by a pin.

you'll need that recess cut into your (shortened) barrel to work it right. i think there are similar looking designs of FH tho that just thread on.

also, the fact that Inch rifles can work with metric mags doesn't mean they'll always work reliably.
magazine cuts, Inch on left:

mags, Inch on left:

i think you can see how much room for 'play' a metric mag would have in the Inch recess.
if you're dead set on that you need an Inch cut receiver or at least one cut for the Inch mag.
metric mags are much easier to find and less expensive.

pricing is hard, there are alot of different ways to go. but figure at least $1K
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:55:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

pricing is hard, there are alot of different ways to go. but figure at least $1K

A factory assembled DSA para folder? Closer $2K, unless there are some versions that I haven't seen???
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:23:14 AM EDT
[#4]
well, he said "help me choose / build"
i was thinking more along the lines of the 'building'.
if you want DSA to build it and use all DSA stuff, then yeah, it's going to be way up there for sure.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:25:42 AM EDT
[#5]
+1 on what FALna45 said.

I know nothing about reliability but matric mags are cheaper and easier to find...so there is no need to buy a lower that accept both inch and metric mags
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:27:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
well, he said "help me choose / build"
i was thinking more along the lines of the 'building'.
if you want DSA to build it and use all DSA stuff, then yeah, it's going to be way up there for sure.

So.... What is the range of cost if you were to put one together yourself?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:46:26 AM EDT
[#7]
first, i don't know what delivery / availability is like on DSA para stuff but just as to pricing:
-say you buy your receiver from them & get just over dealer $$ @ say $350
-their para assembly (for the lower, stock. sight, BC & topcover) is $379 retail
-add in the option for US HTS & PG plus lower internals @ $195
you'd have an extra US. part. $924 +s/h so far.
 still need a complete bolt ($20+), front end ($150ish maybe), and charging handle ($20+) to complete your stuff. plus your barrel work if you start out standard length.

cost of tools & bandaids not figured in. (find someone to help you, they'll jump at the chance to fondle some of that DSA gold....)

you could get it a bit lower too if you're frugal and don't just get it all from DSA.
i just picked the easiest scenario to tabulate from their website.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:30:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

so there is no need to buy a lower that accept both inch and metric mags

FAL/SLR lowers do not accept magazines. It is the upper receiver that has the magwell.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:10:11 AM EDT
[#9]
oooops! of course you are right

I'm used to think about magwells as part of the lowers
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:22:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks FALna45....you have given me a lot to think about. I would like to keep it simple..so metric it is..but I do want the L1A1 FH. My intent is to get the parts together over time as I find good deals then send them to be assembled into what I want/envision for my FAL!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:39:24 AM EDT
[#11]
HERE'S the Inch-looking FH from DSA i was thinking of.

collecting all the stuff bit by bit can really nickel & dime you to death. i'd suggest trying to find a complete parts kit w/ bore condition being most important (IMO) and then get the para-specific and compliance parts rounded up.
 when you start looking for a smith to cut & rethread your barrel, try to find one who will also para cut your receiver (if you go that route). i'd guess about $100 for both operations & return shipping.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:32:26 AM EDT
[#12]
STG58STDP STG58A Austrian Para FAL, 21'' Barrel  $1,395.00  

If you have a good relationship with a local FFL you should be able to pick one up for about $1200 would be my guess. Probably in for a wait of around 6 months.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top