Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2006 9:41:00 AM EDT
I am in the final stages of decision making over the purchase of a .308/7.62 rifle, and leaning towards a DS Arms 18" Para Congo.  I've also put some time into research and evaluation of an AR-10.  The AR-10, being more readily available/common is the weapon I've put some actual hands-on range evaluation into - I have not located anyone in my area who had a DS Arms or other FAL they were willing to loan out...

As far as gas-operated weapons go, I have lots of AR-15 experience, as well as the indirect/ARGO gas-operated Benelli M4 shotgun.  I understand the indirect, short-stroke/vent to atmosphere operation of the FAL, which is largely appealing - especially for this class of weapon over the Stoner system in an AR-type rifle.

So, while I'm asking a group with probable bias towards the FAL... given price was not your concern, and you wanted long-term reliability, reasonable accuracy, and serviceability out of a .308/7.62 weapon would you choose the FAL over an AR-10?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:26:46 AM EDT
[#1]
FAL is  more reliable as a whole. That being said I own an AR-10T that has never had a malfunction. Shooting the same amount of rounds in the same conditions I just dont see how an AR10 could keep up. This is all  things being equal. I would like to see the new mags for the AR10that dont have the plunger.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:47:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I am in the final stages of decision making over the purchase of a .308/7.62 rifle, and leaning towards a DS Arms 18" Para Congo.  I've also put some time into research and evaluation of an AR-10.  The AR-10, being more readily available/common is the weapon I've put some actual hands-on range evaluation into - I have not located anyone in my area who had a DS Arms or other FAL they were willing to loan out...

As far as gas-operated weapons go, I have lots of AR-15 experience, as well as the indirect/ARGO gas-operated Benelli M4 shotgun.  I understand the indirect, short-stroke/vent to atmosphere operation of the FAL, which is largely appealing - especially for this class of weapon over the Stoner system in an AR-type rifle.

So, while I'm asking a group with probable bias towards the FAL... given price was not your concern, and you wanted long-term reliability, reasonable accuracy, and serviceability out of a .308/7.62 weapon would you choose the FAL over an AR-10?

The AR10 has seen NO combat and never will. The FAL has seen endless human conflict, and will continue for sometime. IMHO, The FAL is the best .308 battle rifle mankind ever developed, follwed closely by the beloved M14.

I know few people if any that would choose an AR10 over a FAL.

Besides, why don't you hop on into the Illinois forumn and click on the posts about HB2414, a bill  pending in IL that would result in Nazi Germany style firearms confiscations. Spear headed by Mayor Daley of Chicago.

Armalite located in IL, builds rifles for the Illinois State Police, an orginization that endorses HB2414. Why don't you pop in that post and read what Armalite's opinion of their non-LEO customers is.

I will never even entertain the idea of purchasing anything from Armalite again.

Spend your money at DSA, another Illinois based .308 gun maker. Way better rifles from way better people who actually give a crap about the Second Amendment rights of IL citizens.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:57:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Done... I just ordered the Para Congo from Talon... can't wait to have it in hand!  Now if I can just find some good ammo...
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:44:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Done... I just ordered the Para Congo from Talon... can't wait to have it in hand!  Now if I can just find some good ammo...

GO here....... www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/copy_of__308.html

And good call on the FAL over the bastardized cousin of the AR15.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:00:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the pointer to AIM and the SA .308... I just ordered about 3900 rounds...
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:10:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks for the pointer to AIM and the SA .308... I just ordered about 3900 rounds...

Enjoy!  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:42:04 PM EDT
[#7]

get the FAL  & then revisit a .308  AR  in six months

Armalite should have their new magazinew out by then & the RRA  .308 should be availabale by then too

also I thubk DPMS  is expanding their line of .308 rifles
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:57:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I have considered selling my FAL and buying an AR10 carbine. I really like the FAL, but the LOP is just too much for me. The collapsible stock on the AR10 carbine would be a great asset for me.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:38:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Actually the AR10 in Stoner SR guise was used some in Afghanistan. It was known to have some malfunctions. The FAL is the better battle rifle in my opinion and the AR10 is probably the more accurate. The HK system has them both beat for reliability but you have to contend with a worse trigger, sights, etc.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:04:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Good man.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:05:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Actually the AR10 in Stoner SR guise was used some in Afghanistan. It was known to have some malfunctions.

I bet whomever ok'd the AR10 in Afghanistan is now looking for a new job.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:06:00 PM EDT
[#13]
My new SA58 C Para Congo arrived yesterday.  It is a thing of extreme beauty... I hope to have it at the range tomorrow for barrel break-in..

Here she is with the rest of her happy family, my Bushmaster Modular Carbine, Colt LE6920, and Benelli M4 Super 90:

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:28:43 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
My new SA58 C Para Congo arrived yesterday.  It is a thing of extreme beauty... I hope to have it at the range tomorrow for barrel break-in..

i38.photobucket.com/albums/e145/AustinPSD/77d91ad3.jpg

NICE !!!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:54:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Nice addition to your group - you will like the DSA - they work great - only area that may be a concern s the para stock will beat your cheek up a bit. Look for a cheek pad. .
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:16:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Nice addition to your group - you will like the DSA - they work great - only area that may be a concern s the para stock will beat your cheek up a bit. Look for a cheek pad. .

He's already got one...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top