Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2006 10:44:06 AM EDT
I have two IMBEL kits, I would like to get a para folding lower receiver from SARCO for it.  How does the para folding lower work though? The fixed stock rifles have the bolt carrier return spring in the stock, but if you have the folder then you wouldn't have that anymore.  I don't see how the action would fuction with a para folding stocks if it doesn't have the return spring.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:46:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Instead of having the two springs in the stock/lower, on a PARA they're up in the upper receiver which also uses a different bolt carrier and dust cover.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:57:09 AM EDT
[#2]
glad I didn't buy one then.......thanks Rob!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:50:18 AM EDT
[#3]
DSA sells an American made complete conversion kit for $380  Para

This is 3 US made parts that's needed for imported kits.

For $195 more, they supply 4 more US made parts, hammer, trigger, sear, and grip. I've been debating on this upgrade to my FAL.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:53:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Do NOT debate it.

I have a Para put together from CMP armory in NC and it is the cats meow. out of all the FALs I have, this one is my favorite. the only additional part you will need is a Machine cut in the reciever to facilitate the cover/springs. Or cut the lip from the new top cover, which I do not recommend

Gary
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:17:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Do NOT debate it.

I have a Para put together from CMP armory in NC and it is the cats meow. out of all the FALs I have, this one is my favorite. the only additional part you will need is a Machine cut in the reciever to facilitate the cover/springs. Or cut the lip from the new top cover, which I do not recommend

Gary

How hard is it to cut this in my receiver? Is it easy and possible with a dremel? Do you have a link to a pic to show where the cuts are? Thanks.

I'm pretty sure I'll get the para setup. I've wanted one for years and most likely will pick one up when income tax return comes in.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:54:19 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do NOT debate it.

Gary

How hard is it to cut this in my receiver? Is it easy and possible with a dremel? Do you have a link to a pic to show where the cuts are? Thanks.

I'm pretty sure I'll get the para setup. I've wanted one for years and most likely will pick one up when income tax return comes in.

With the proper counterbore it is easy and take maybe 20 minutes to do. It can be done with a hand drill as the counterbore has a guide on it but it is best done on a mill or drill press. Most smiths seem to run about the 40 to 50 range to do it but I am not sure if that inclused refinishing. If you do it yourself just put some cold blue on it or you can refinish the entire receiver.

There are some pics on the FALFiles but I don't have a link to it right now.  If you go with a DSA or ARMS scope mount dust cover you won't have to do the para nose cut on the receiver as they don't use it.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:17:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the reply Chuck1. I did a search on the FALfiles and found a couple pics which show where the cuts are made. I may do the mods myself on the drill press if I can find what I need. On the files I saw where a couple of guys will do the mods that's needed.
Thanks for all the ideas and help. I have most of the money I need to order it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:59:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thanks for the reply Chuck1. I did a search on the FALfiles and found a couple pics which show where the cuts are made. I may do the mods myself on the drill press if I can find what I need. On the files I saw where a couple of guys will do the mods that's needed.
Thanks for all the ideas and help. I have most of the money I need to order it.

Glad to help. You can buy the counterbore and guide for about 15 to 25 bucks if you shop around. I forget the sizes at the moment but if you need them I can look then up when I get off work. You need an extension for the counterbore to reach all the way down also unless you can find an extended CB but I couldn't find one.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:57:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Fal Paras are awesome.....
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:23:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Sold my first PARA a year or so ago with the intention of building another --came home that week end and found out neither Dealers Warehouse OR Dsa had thier advertised PARA kits in stock went on both waiting lists and DSA called back in Jan to let mme know they were ready to ship (yeah!) Now I have My PARA agian and of all My FAL's its my favorite --and will be the last one I ever sell ever agian.  BTW the cuts are real easy to accomplish -A Mill is preferred but a B&D "bullit" or similar drill bit on a long extension will work for the basic hole and the edges can be cleaned up with a dremel if need be --trial fitting using the dust cover alone as you go. took me all of 15-20 minuites to convert a standard Imbel over to PARA. Anote on the DSA para stock --You must push the stock down to hinge it OPEN it does not just pull straight as does the original FN/Imbel folders do DSA simplified the mecanisim and eliminated the stocks tendency to wobble in and out a little in the folded position as a result it must be pushed down to unlock from folded just like you do to fold it. Any problems I have the tooling and pictures already to do the cut. IM me and Ill let you borrow them if need be.

ETA I got rid of a PARA barrel in Dec cause I had lost hope in ever getting a kit agian.. Now i have to cut and rethread another..........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top