Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2006 7:26:37 PM EDT
A friend's dad has an old Century FAL that he wants to sell.  He would probably let it go for around $400.  It is one of the neutered rifles from the mid-1990's.  Thumbhole stock, no flash hider.  I don't know which receiver it has.

I don't currently have any self-loading .308 rifles.  I've always wanted an FAL.  I've shot this particular rifle before and it ran fine.  Is there anyting I should know about the older CAI guns before I buy it?  I'd like to install an American parts set and a muzzle brake if I buy it.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:43:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Most of them work out of the box or with a little tunning. Some are junk, but very vew. Someone will be along in a minute to tell you all 134 of them they tried or seen were crap. You here about the ones that dont work not the ones that do. 400 is a litle high for a butthole stock. The lower is messed up so you will need a new one if you want a pistol grip. Unless it has an Imbel upper.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:07:21 PM EDT
[#2]
If the upper is marked "Made in Canada" it is, from what i've been able to gather @ FALfiles, either an Imbel, or F.M.A.P.(Argentine) receiver. Either of which would make it worth $400.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:16:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Most of them work out of the box or with a little tunning. Some are junk, but very vew. quote]

Acctually it's the other way around. Most are junk.

Ask him to test fire it first and if it runs then buy it, if not run away! Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:08:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Century FALS are what I call "frankenstein guns" I have seen them in almost an infiite amout of parts variations that boggles the mind! Metric uppers on inch lowers, inch uppers on metric lowers, nicely matched ones, Iraeli parts, Canadian, South African, Imbel ect ect...having said that I rebuilt one with an Imbel upper and a Canadian inch lower, that worked out quite well. New springs, gas tube and furniture, and it shoots quite well and reliably. It was easy to work on and kinda fun. Parts are abundant and cheap...a hobby gun. In that context, I think its worth it, and you can learn alot about how great FALs are by working on one. No tougher to figure out than an SKS.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:10:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Most of them work out of the box or with a little tunning. Some are junk, but very vew. quote]

Acctually it's the other way around. Most are junk.

Ask him to test fire it first and if it runs then buy it, if not run away! Good luck!

Actually I believe most to be at least usable. No equal of a DSA but not the junk some say everyone of them are. They do have total pieces of crap though. More than they should have. Those are the ones you hear about . I say your odds are better at getting a usable one are better than not.

As far as them being cheap hobby gun because parts are cheap is no longer the case. The ones marked made in Canada are better guns than the latter Hesse recievered guns.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:25:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:58:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a cai that was cut to 16" after a week of W.E.C.S.O.G it runs great best $600 I've spent in a long time much more fun than my old M1A and as accurate or better for a gun that cost a third less and doesnt beat you up as bad I'd say  go for it looking for my second one now. Probbaly be selling my 6.8 spc AR to get another FAL
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:02:52 AM EDT
[#8]
well i have had 3,

one sporter, thats thumbhole great rifle, on l1a1 that was on a imbel-metric but with the charging handle cut. ran great. the last one is on century receiver.  will not run has been back to the 4 times never could get it to run finally got it back since they washed there hands of it and right now i am about ready to start working on it my self. i am about tempted to basically just use it for a parts kit and put a new receiver on it.

Ronald
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:45:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Mine has a CAI receiver and works great. It an R1A1 model that was built on an Inch Aussie kit by Century.

The Angry Beavers must have had a good week when they made it, because it runs like a sewing machine.

Buy a battle pack of South African R1M1 Ball ammo ($28 most places), tell your friend's dad you will buy it if it can go through an entire magazine (use the newest mag available) without a malfuction.

Most of the bad Century guns I have seen can't get through a 20 round mag without a stoppage. ( and I owned two of them, both CETMEs).
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:03:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I joined the FAL club by buying a Century at a gun show several months ago while knowing only that FALS were supposed to be fine rifles.  When I took it to the range, I found that it jammed repeatedly (failure to feed into the chamber).  Then my FAL education began.  It seems I got a Century FAL with an out of spec receiver which doesn't allow proper feeding from standard mags.  The tip of the rounds, especially those feeding from the right side of the mag,  got stuck on the feed ramp or on the edge of the barrel shoulder (barrel lip). But the rifle was in good shape and appeared to be properly assembled.  I wanted the thing to work.  I did research over and over, asked for advice on the Net, and began polishing the rails, feed ramp, etc.   Through a friend I got one old mag that worked consistently.  I studied that mag and then set about to modify other mags to resemble it.  I bent the feed lips up so that the top round set up high and displayed sufficient case bottom to be stripped by the bolt.  This change allows the round to pop up free of the mag sooner than usual so that the round would go into the chamber without even touching the feed ramp.  I now have about a dozen modified mags that feed well.  So I am satisfied with this rifle.  Good luck to you with yours.

Drakejake
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:39:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I joined the FAL club by buying a Century at a gun show several months ago while knowing only that FALS were supposed to be fine rifles.  When I took it to the range, I found that it jammed repeatedly (failure to feed into the chamber).  Then my FAL education began.  It seems I got a Century FAL with an out of spec receiver which doesn't allow proper feeding from standard mags.  The tip of the rounds, especially those feeding from the right side of the mag,  got stuck on the feed ramp or on the edge of the barrel shoulder (barrel lip). But the rifle was in good shape and appeared to be properly assembled.  I wanted the thing to work.  I did research over and over, asked for advice on the Net, and began polishing the rails, feed ramp, etc.   Through a friend I got one old mag that worked consistently.  I studied that mag and then set about to modify other mags to resemble it.  I bent the feed lips up so that the top round set up high and displayed sufficient case bottom to be stripped by the bolt.  This change allows the round to pop up free of the mag sooner than usual so that the round would go into the chamber without even touching the feed ramp.  I now have about a dozen modified mags that feed well.  So I am satisfied with this rifle.  Good luck to you with yours.

Drakejake

Interesting.  Sounds similar to the problem I am having with R1A1.  I haven't ever gotten more than 3 consecutive shots off without a FTF.  I really want to like this gun...
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:46:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Drakejake

Interesting.  Sounds similar to the problem I am having with R1A1.  I haven't ever gotten more than 3 consecutive shots off without a FTF.  I really want to like this gun...

These Guys can fix it for you. they do excellent work. They have a CAI redo package here
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:42:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Century FALS are what I call "frankenstein guns" I have seen them in almost an infiite amout of parts variations that boggles the mind! Metric uppers on inch lowers, inch uppers on metric lowers, nicely matched ones, Iraeli parts, Canadian, South African, Imbel ect ect...having said that I rebuilt one with an Imbel upper and a Canadian inch lower, that worked out quite well. New springs, gas tube and furniture, and it shoots quite well and reliably. It was easy to work on and kinda fun. Parts are abundant and cheap...a hobby gun. In that context, I think its worth it, and you can learn alot about how great FALs are by working on one. No tougher to figure out than an SKS.

Very true.

A couple of years ago, my dad bought a CAI L1A1....it was a mismatched collection of Aussie and Canadian parts, and the finish could have been a little better.

But, FWIW, it works great! He'll feed it any old ball or softpoint he can get at the hardware store, and it's never choked.

I agree with whoever said, test fire it first.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top