Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2006 12:13:03 AM EDT

Forgive my ignorance,
Can someone give me a brief lesson  regarding the FALs? For the most part, I was unaware of thier existance until I started snooping around on ARF.
What country did the originate from? What was thier intended purpose?
Like AKs and ARs, there seem to be numerous MFGs of these firearms, so, whos the best?
What is thier alure? Other than the obvious size in cartrige difference, what would be thier advantage over an AR/AK? I have read that they cant pull the groups that even an AK can, so why the hype?
Not to start a war, but to me they just arent that "attractive" looking of a gun,  they look so heavy and clunky, almost unrefined.

Any links to articles or threads would be greatly appreciated.
thanks guys
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:38:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd bet you can find most of what you're looking for here:

www.falfiles.com
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:33:17 AM EDT
[#2]
"unrefined"? You really need to handle one, but beware the Century's and bad kit builds. A well built kit gun or a factory model is in no way unrefined, it's a work of forged and machined art. Particularly if you are going to compare to an AK.
Accuracy is generally in the 2-3 moa range.
The FAL originated in Belgium, was adopted by over 90 countries, and has seen use in combat all over the world.
DSA is probably the best FAL copy that is factory produced right now.

Get on over to the FALfiles and let the addiction begin.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:44:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Forgive my ignorance,
Can someone give me a brief lesson  regarding the FALs? For the most part, I was unaware of thier existance until I started snooping around on ARF.
What country did the originate from? Fabrique Nationale in Belgium

What was thier intended purpose? Main battle rifle to replace bolt action Mod 98 Mausers

Like AKs and ARs, there seem to be numerous MFGs of these firearms, so, whos the best? StG 58s made in Austria by Steyr. Currently in the US, DS Arms has the top spot.

What is thier alure? For me, it was ,at the time, the ease and inexpense of building a working MBR that looked cool. Since that time I have come to appreciate their reliability and accuracy

Other than the obvious size in cartridge difference, what would be their advantage over an AR/AK? If you go over to FALFILES.COM and read the thread about "Ol Dirty", the answer to that question in regard to ARs will become appearant. The advantage over AKs is the cartridge and accuracy.

I have read that they cant pull the groups that even an AK can, so why the hype? Considering that there are so many F A Ls being built here and that there are so many forums dedicated to the F A L and considering how much money that people are regularliy paying to have  F A Ls, perhaps there is enough imperical evidence for you to question the validity of what you read.

Not to start a war, but to me they just arent that "attractive" looking of a gun,  they look so heavy and clunky, almost unrefined. Then don't buy one.

thanks guys www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68486
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:51:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to start a war, but to me they just arent that "attractive" looking of a gun,  they look so heavy and clunky, almost unrefined. Then don't buy one.

+1
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:08:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Forgive my ignorance,
What country did the originate from? What was thier intended purpose?
Like AKs and ARs, there seem to be numerous MFGs of these firearms, so, whos the best?
What is thier alure? Other than the obvious size in cartrige difference, what would be thier advantage over an AR/AK? Not to start a war, but to me they just arent that "attractive" looking of a gun,  they loI have read that they cant pull the groups that even an AK can, so why the hype?
ok so heavy and clunky, almost unrefined.

thanks guys

wow dude. I get 1.5"-2.0" inch groups out of my FAL....and thats with somewhat crappy ammo. Whoever told you that is full of it.....
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:34:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
wow dude. I get 1.5"-2.0" inch groups out of my FAL....and thats with somewhat crappy ammo. Whoever told you that is full of it.....

me too..... NATO mil surplus ammo here...... that's crappy too....
ya....so full of it....
when you shoot one.... you'll own at least one soon after

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top