Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2006 3:33:06 PM EDT
Which one is better? Inch or metric? Why?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:44:07 PM EDT
[#1]
My understanding is thus: inch receivers accept both inch and metric mags; while the reverse is not true. Also, I hear that metric parts and magazines are more commonly available. I know nothing about ammo compatibility between the two.

However, I do not own an FAL mysef; these are anecdotes from a buddy.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:37:41 PM EDT
[#2]
its the same ammo....
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:34:29 PM EDT
[#3]
The major differences are:

Inch sights are taller, so you can't mix and match.

Inch and metric FCS parts don't interchange.

Furniture isn't really interchangeable unless you try really really hard.

Metric mags work in inch guns because the locking tab is smaller. Inch mags will not fit metric rifles.

All inch parts are more expensive, and some are getting hard to find. 922r parts are not as common for inch guns.

Now for the common parts:

You can put inch or metric barrels on either inch or metric receivers. Inch builds require an extra part to get the barrel to fit correctly.

You can use both inch and metric lowers on either receiver as long as you change the rear sight ro match the front. The rear sight is part of the lower receiver on an FAL.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#4]
go metric...cheap parts cheap mags and readily available
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:24:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I own an inch pattern, and I have to say that I love it, but for general consumption/use, I would recommend metric, mainly because of mag prices and availability of parts. Check out both while you can and decide what you like best.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:26:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top