Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 7:36:47 PM EDT
OK.  

I may have a Stg 58 parts kit by next week.  So here is my build question.

If I were to use a domestic reciever do you still have to comply with the "parts" count.  

Please advise.

Buzz.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:56:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes but the reciever counts as 1
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:58:58 PM EDT
[#2]
TEXT OF RELEVANT "RULES"
(updated 09-23-04)
"1989 IMPORT BAN"
18 USC Chapter 44 as amended by Public Law 101-647 (enacted 11-29-90) and 27 CFR part 178 as amended 06-25-93.
§ 178.39 Assembly of semiautomatic rifles or shotguns.
(a) No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph (c) of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.
925(d)(3) includes FN FAL (L1A1) style semiautomatic rifle with folding stock, military style stock with separate pistol grip, threaded muzzle, flash hider, grenade launcher, bayonet lug, or night sights.
Note: FN FAL (L1A1) style semiautomatic rifles having a thumbhole style stock without the above features are approved for importation.
(c) For purposes of this section, the term "imported parts" are:
(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forging or stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (turnings)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Buttstocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, handguards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) (Magazine) Followers
(20) (Magazine) Floorplates

GUNPLUMBER'S INTERPRETATION
(Note that my "common-sense" interpretation is not legally binding, official, etc.) The FAL does not have all of the parts listed. It has no mounting block, barrel extension, operating rod or disconnector. Nevertheless, Ed Owens, former director of ATF Technology Branch "interpreted" a cocking handle to be an operating rod. That the two parts are as similar as a golf club and a tomato does not seem to matter. I am disappointed that someone as high up in firearms technology is incapable of making such a basic nomenclature distinction, but that's what we have to work with. So the FAL has only the following potentially "imported parts"

(1) Receiver
(2) Barrel
(3) Muzzle attachment
(4) Bolt
(5) Bolt carrier
(6) Gas piston
(7) Trigger housings (lower receiver?)
(8) Operating rod [sic]
(9) Trigger
(10) Hammer
(11) Sear
(12) Buttstock
(13) Pistol grip
(14) Handguards
(15) Magazine body
(16) Magazine Follower
(17) Magazine Floor plate

That is 17 "evil" parts - 7 of which must be replaced with US made parts. Quality parts are available from a number of vendors - see the links page.
The 7 US parts ARS prefers are included in this list of 11 parts. Hammer, trigger, and sear are usually only available as sets.

1. US receiver (DSA, DC Industries/FAC/Coonan)
2. US flash suppressor (ARS, DSA)
3. US gas piston (FSE, DSA)
4. US pistol grip (FSE, PSAW, DSA)
5. US trigger (FSE, DSA)
6. US trigger (FSE, DSA)
7. US sear (FSE, DSA)
8. US butstock (PSAW Premium)
9. US handguards (DSA, PSAW, TAPCO)
10. US lower receiver - aluminum (DSA)
11. US cocking handle -steel (SM, FSE, DSA, TAPCO
)

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:03:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I wanted wood on my Inch rifle, to make a C1A1 clone. (Canadian version of L1A1)

So here are my 7 US parts:

1) Trigger (CAI)
2) Sear     (CAI)
3) Hammer (CAI)
4) Walnut  Buttstock (Ironwood designs)
5) Walnut pistolgrip (Ironwood designs)
6) Gas piston (TAPCO)
7) Upper Receiver (CAI)

You can use mag floorplates and followers, but not recommended since if you ever have the mags out of the weapon...well anyway why give them any rope.

This setup lets me use original Wood handguards with heatshields and the original flashhider with bayo lug.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:05:25 PM EDT
[#4]
This is what mine will look like when I get all the parts in and on the rifle.
(Thanks to Marstar, Gun Parts Guy and Gunthings)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top