Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2006 5:29:33 PM EDT
 How do you build a FAL? What is required?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:59:44 PM EDT
[#1]
And, do you go with a Type I or Type II Receiver? What is the difference / preference other than the Lightening Cuts?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:28:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Go here wecsog.org/wecsog.html and spend some time looking around. Once you have digested the information given there, you will have a pretty good idea of what is involved.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:32:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
And, do you go with a Type I or Type II Receiver? What is the difference / preference other than the Lightening Cuts?

It is really a cosmetic issue. The lower receiver that comes with the kit ( assuming that you buy a complete kit) will dictate which type is "correct." However, any FAL/SLR upper can be used to build either a metric or inch pattern rifle.

DS Arms website has pictures of the different types of upper receivers. www.dsarms.com
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I've built a few FALS. You need

Barrel vise, receiver wrench, head space pins, go/no guages.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:35:36 PM EDT
[#5]
head space pins...... more commonly refered to as pin gauges

consider getting a bolt disassembly tool and the buttstock removal wrench too...

lower types are distinguished by radius cuts or lack of on the lower reciever where the verticle plane of the rear of the upper reciever meets the lower reciever "dog ears".... there is no cut or dog ears on  type III lowers..... a type II is squared or angled, I forget exactly which,  more than rounded like the type I
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:38:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
head space pins...... more commonly refered to as pin gauges

consider getting a bolt disassembly tool and the buttstock removal wrench too...

lower types are distinguished by radius cuts or lack of on the lower reciever where the verticle plane of the rear of the upper reciever meets the lower reciever "dog ears".... there is no cut or dog ears on  type III lowers..... a type II is squared or angled, I forget exactly which,  more than rounded like the type I
img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/jageezzer/TYPEIlower003.jpg

jeez geezer!  ya might want to invest in a camera or at least try and focus... i mean i can't tell if i'm looking at a FAL or a vergina.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:21:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Actually the Type I is more square. The Type II radius is rounded.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top