Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2006 2:40:20 PM EDT
I ordered 9 battlepacks 8:30am 12-27. Got them today around lunch. 7 in a can and 2 packed in 2nd box (some kind of shipping deal). Ammo box was in good condition as were the battle packs. Delivered at 217.00. They were going up after the 1st.

Good transaction. 8 weeks and counting on my FAL or I would let you know how the stuff shoots.

I've only been checking out the .308 ammo situation since I ordered my FAL early November. What is your take on the availability of milsurp .308? I'm seeing some price increases but that could be the general increases I see from Midway, etc on many products. I loaded up on XM193 shortly before it dried up and would hate to see the same happen with the less expensive 7.62 ammo. How much do you think is out there? Enough to buy a little now and again? I have the 1260 rounds I bought this week, a good start, but I would like to pad it some if it's going to do a disappearing act. Otherwise I'll stretch it out over the next year. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:24:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I just got some more from AIM today also.  Have ordered before and will order again

I like the SA in mult. 7.62 guns I got

always works when I pull the trig.

I would call it medium grade, def. a value, but only about 8" groups at 200 yards

shipped cheaper than gas and sales tax would be

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:40:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I ordered 9 battlepacks 8:30am 12-27. Got them today around lunch. 7 in a can and 2 packed in 2nd box (some kind of shipping deal). Ammo box was in good condition as were the battle packs. Delivered at 217.00. They were going up after the 1st.

Good transaction. 8 weeks and counting on my FAL or I would let you know how the stuff shoots.

7 in the case is to come under the UPS maximum weight limit per package.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:43:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

7 in the case is to come under the UPS maximum weight limit per package.

No joke. Lugging that load to the closet really illustrates one advantage of 5.56 over 7.62.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:39:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I just had 2 cases arrive on my porch today, both were "81 Manf. Woo-hoo, 14 more packs. SA shoots a lot better then 4" out of my Garand BTW, and I've yet to have had a dud or squib.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:09:52 PM EDT
[#5]
My experience from gunshows I attend is that 7.62X51 milsurp has been abundantly available for my purchase for the last few years. For a while Port was the main choice. Then, the Port supply dried up and SA has been the only type available from the vendor I frequent. The going rate for 1260 tubs of SA has been $200 OTD at the local shows.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:15:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:21:39 PM EDT
[#7]
My take is that it's drying up.  It's not gone yet, and there will be more "found", but the supply isn't what it was.  South African is about the only quality ammo that can still be found easily/cheaply.

If it's surplus you're wanting, stock up now.  

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:36:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for your take. From the posts I remembered from the past on the site I thought this would be the case.

Reminds me of the Merle Haggard lyrics, ".........Are the good times really over for good?"

Guess I'll have to "dip my beak" andtry and move up my reloading efforts in .308.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:54:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It's going to dry up.

All the European countries have made the switch to 5.56mm except Norway.

The UN has done a bang up job with getting the Eurpeans and Australians to back their effort to curb small arms sales (including ammo) and most of that stuff is getting destroyed rather than selling it.

Personally I'm buying all I can afford.

German DAG-gone
Austrian Hirtenberger-gone
British Radway Green-gone
Portuguese FMN-gone
Spanish Santa Barbara-gone
Swedish and Danish surplus-gone
Australian-gone
South African-still here for a while

See the trend.

Think about the countries that issued 7.62x51mm MBR's and what they are issuing now.  Like I said, everyone's dumped them and gone 5.56mm, and that's been a few years ago....the surplus is gone.

Indian, Pakistani......you gotta be shittin' me.

Argentinian-had some given to me but haven't tried it out, so jury is still out.

I agree tho it sucks to say so. I have some Aussie, Port, and lots and lots of SA stacked up. And I'll bet the SA dies up sometime this summer, cause no more is coming in from what I can see. F-in UN BS.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:00:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My experience from gunshows I attend is that 7.62X51 milsurp has been abundantly available for my purchase for the last few years. For a while Port was the main choice. Then, the Port supply dried up and SA has been the only type available from the vendor I frequent. The going rate for 1260 tubs of SA has been $200 OTD at the local shows.

Mason show? Guy at the south end with the AR and M-14 stuff? If so he know his stuff, he warned me about the SA5.56 well before it dried up. He said .308 will be the next to go in surplus ammo, and I believe him. I bought a lot of SA 5.56 from him but am down to one 2700 round case and change left. If I had listened better I'd have about 20K of the stuff instead. I LOVE that stuff.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I noticed no one mentioned Indian. I remember a post a month or so ago that had some mixed reviews. I suppose it would rank below South African, but would you consider it acceptable? IE fairly accurate, feeds well, etc.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:15:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:46:37 PM EDT
[#13]
fxntime-

Yes, that's the guy. I too have done business with him for the past several years. And you're right: he DOES know his stuff. (I still have a couple tubs of that SA 5.56 stashed. Of late he's had some LC M193 at good prices though: $175 per K)

I've watched his supply of Port dry up, and whenever he has SA 7.62X51 I always buy a few cases for that rainy day.

Unfortunately, it's unlikely he'll be at the upcoming BR show: he told me there was another show in Indy he was scheduled to do instead, but that if he could get his wife and a helper to do Indy, then he would be at BR on the weekend of the 14th.

I DO hope he's at BR: I need more 7.62 and M1A parts.

So the lesson here friends is that if you need milsurp - buy as much as you can afford!

paddle3
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:54:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Ouch! I ordered another 1400 rounds today. I need to replace a couple of garage doors this spring, so this will have to do for now. This will give me a couple of full cans put back and a couple hundred rounds to play with. I will put some instructions to Mrs. callgood on the cans. If I croak before DS Arms ships my FAL, watch for them on the EE.

I thought I had found a site with Portugese, but when you click "Buy" to move on, it comes up "Out of Stock."

Sorry I missed your Indian/Pak reference above, templar. You had it segregated from the good stuff at the bottom of your post. Must be bad if you won't even list it with the others.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:21:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Indian, Pakistani......you gotta be shittin' me.

Good rule of thumb........don't buy ammo from a country that pisses in their own drinking water.  

That's a good rule. Got a 1260 can of SA today at the funshow for $170 He only had the one full can and another partial. This dryig up shit sucks.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:27:46 PM EDT
[#16]
The Indian ammo made in the 70s is good ammo. I don't expect you to believe me, but it is.

Dans Ammo has Spanish 308 listed on the site for about .15c a round plus shipping. I called yesterday and he said that he has it in stock. Not as much now, but he still has some.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:22:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Is the SA .308 stuff really non-corrosive, or just advertised as?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:56:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:48:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Is the SA .308 stuff really non-corrosive, or just advertised as?

It is NON CORROSIVE!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:28:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Buy 2 thousand rounds per rifle, store it in a cool dry area and FORGET YOU HAVE IT!  When you want to shoot, go buy some at Wal-Mart, again. leave your stash alone!  Another year or two, you'll wish you had bought a bunch a followed my advice when there is no more surplus to stock up on.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:30:36 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Does anyone but Aim have this in stock?

last i checked cheaper than dirt had it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top