Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2006 10:36:01 PM EDT
Sorry for the dumb question but does it mater what number its left on?  I'm only going to be using white box ammo & I'm unsure what to have it set on. If its on the wrong number can it cause damage to the gun?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:42:31 AM EDT
[#1]
i doubt you're going to damage the rifle w/standard ammo @ full gas, but it might accelerate wear and recoil harder than needed.
to regulate your gas (rifles w/BHO), start with the vent hole fully exposed from under the regulator.
load 1 round in a mag and fire.
if it doesn't lock open, go one click towards the gas block (forcing more gas into the action) and repeat. do this until the BHO operates after each shot. then go 2 more clicks towards the gas block to insure reliability.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:37:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:01:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Those numbers on the gas regulator are just like christmas ornaments. They are there for decoration and thats it. Just pretend that they don't exist and adjust the gas so that the rifle functions correctly.

You should reconsider using white box ammo only. Now, if you are filthy rich, then by all means, have at it. If you aren't filthy rich, then buy a few cases of South African surplus 308 and take that F A L to the range reglarly.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:04:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
i doubt you're going to damage the rifle w/standard ammo @ full gas, but it might accelerate wear and recoil harder than needed.
to regulate your gas (rifles w/BHO), start with the vent hole fully exposed from under the regulator.
if it doesn't lock open, go one click towards the gas block (forcing more gas into the action) and repeat. do this until the BHO operates after each shot. then go 2 more clicks towards the gas block to insure reliability.

This is the method I was taught and use.. It works well with my Imbel.

and a +1 on using milsurp ammo.   Aussie, SA and Port are all reliable.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:38:50 PM EDT
[#5]

My Inch L1A1 clone works well on 6.  But there are 11 gas settings, so I don't know what that translates to for a Metric FAL or FAL clone since they have fewer gas number settings.

As stated above, use the minimum necessary to engage the BHO.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:40:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If you aren't filthy rich, then buy a few cases of South African surplus 308 and take that F A L to the range reglarly.

Actually, I prefer the SA. It's good stuff.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:19:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Actually, if you will reverse this procedure, meaning start with the gas port fully covered and work your way toward open, you will save yourself a LOT of trouble. F A Ls, when they short stroke, jam the fired case back into the chamber and require slamming the buttstock onto a hard surface while pulling down on the charging handle to free the stuck case. If you start with the gas port fully covered, you will only have to do the "pogo" once instead of every time you fire.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:03:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, if you will reverse this procedure, meaning start with the gas port fully covered and work your way toward open, you will save yourself a LOT of trouble. F A Ls, when they short stroke, jam the fired case back into the chamber and require slamming the buttstock onto a hard surface while pulling down on the charging handle to free the stuck case. If you start with the gas port fully covered, you will only have to do the "pogo" once instead of every time you fire.

+1.  it can be a bitch to get that fired case out especially if you have a nervous RSO hovering around.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:20:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Which way is fully open...or closed.  Turning to the right or left?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:07:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

All of the way right is fully closed.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:47:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

See the hole in the top of the gas block, right behind the rear sight??? When that's covered, it's fully closed...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:29:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The instruction manual says that you should start off with the hole fully opened, and close down until you get reliable ejection and bolt-hold-open, and then close down one more.  Any more than the absolute minimum gas will add stress to the system, because you want to admit just enough gas to work the action reliably and no more.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:04:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Righty Tighty  Lefty Loosie

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:23:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I leave it in the "off" position when im not using it.
I left it on once and the battery went dead so it didnt function when i went to shoot it next time.

Better safe than sorry..:)

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:51:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I leave it in the "off" position when im not using it.
I left it on once and the battery went dead so it didnt function when i went to shoot it next time.

Better safe than sorry..:)

KyARGuy

maybe you should lay off the gas KY.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:34:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The instruction manual says that you should start off with the hole fully opened, and close down until you get reliable ejection and bolt-hold-open, and then close down one more.  Any more than the absolute minimum gas will add stress to the system, because you want to admit just enough gas to work the action reliably and no more.

If you want to spend your time bangin' your rifle on the deck unjamming spent cases, then knock yourself out.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:34:28 AM EDT
[#17]
i understand the logic in reversing the manual's procedure but i've never had to pogo any of my FALs....i don't think you can assume everyone's will act like that.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:47:31 AM EDT
[#18]
I really need to pull out my FAL and do this since I had the barrel cut down...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top