Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2005 6:48:59 PM EDT
I am interested in building a FAL rifle, however, have found limited information on the internet.

Can one purchase all of the necessary parts new or is the process to buy an imported used rifle with some of the parts removed?  

What is the FFL part for this gun, the upper receiver or the lower?

How difficult is the process?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:29:24 AM EDT
[#1]
you need to get a parts kit in good condition. it will not include the (BATF controlled) upper receiver.
you may have no more than 10 of 20 BATF specified imported components (17 applicable to FAL) when assembling so you will need an additional 7 US made parts if you want a threaded muzzle or 6 if you go unthreaded.
the building is not difficult. it's stopping that's the challenge!
the cliff notes:
first thing is installing the barrel (which threads) into the receiver so that your front sight sits at TDC in relation to the receiver while tightened within an acceptable range of torque.
once that's done, you use the kit's bolt & carrier to determine what size locking shoulder is needed to provide the desired headspace, you get that LS, bang her in and then it's just assembly.
provided all parts are in spec and good condition, you shouldn't have much trouble except feeding it and financing the next builds.
the tools can be improvised on the cheap or you can easily spend a couple $100. either way you go you'll probably need a vise. a receiver wrench w/breaker bar, barrel vise, go / no-go gauges and pin gauges (to help determine locking shoulder size) and barrel timing rods or some other means of indexing the barrel would constitute a good build kit. common FAL tools such as an extractor disassembly tool and buttstock removal tool should be in your toolbox if you're buying or building, either improvised or purchased.
i've read low cost methods using rather than all that stuff an open end wrench filed to fit the flats of the barrel, wood blocks to clamp the receiver in the vise, empty cases & masking tape for headspacing, etc but i went with purchased tools and am currently in the process of reducing my per-build tool cost by building #s 5&6

here are 2 links i referred to a great deal before / when i got started
BANDIT'S (use the links on the left)
CRUFFLER
go to FALFiles Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself forum for anything else.

the parts:
(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Buttstocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, handguards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers
(20) Floorplates

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:02:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks a lot!  I'll check out the links.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:05:03 AM EDT
[#3]
You would be wells erved to get a copy of theFAL building video sold by Gunplumber at www.arizonaresponsesystems.com
It is a very detailed step by step video.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:25:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok maybe reading this post wasn't such a good idea.  I've always lusted after the FALs and building one seems like a cool project.  I think I may be more confused now though.  

Will you ctually save any money DIY or is it the satisfaction of it all?

Is this a good kit to start with?

www.fseusa.com/product_info.php?cPath=103&products_id=342

PS  you guys are in MI?  Maybe we could start a FAL tools club?  

Rob
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:46:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Will you ctually save any money DIY or is it the satisfaction of it all?

Is this a good kit to start with?

www.fseusa.com/product_info.php?cPath=103&products_id=342

Rob

#1  Not anymore. It once was that you could build cheaper than buy already built. Now it is at best  a break even proposition.

#2. That isn't a good kit. It is a great kit. In fact, there are none better. StG58s were the finest FALs ever made. FSE has a great reputation and all of the reviews of those kits that I have read state that they are pristine.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:08:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm in Lansing, MI.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:41:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
in MI?  Maybe we could start a FAL tools club?  

Rob

i've got everything needed to build (still setting up for park tho) & would be up for a little build party or whatever. i've built 4 so far that run perfect. (2 more in process )
i have a pretty busy schedule until the end of february but get them kits & compliance things ready &LMK if you want....
man, are you guys in for it!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:00:34 PM EDT
[#8]

I am interested in building a FAL rifle, however, have found limited information on the internet.

I don't know where you looked but that is not true at all...
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:10:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got an imbel kit on the way......they are only $229 limited time at classic arms,  I'll probably get a south african kit on FALFILES and the STG58 from FSE next pay days.....the receiver is what will kill you....DSAs are like $450
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:51:22 PM EDT
[#10]
tag
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:14:56 AM EDT
[#11]
$450 is just plain ridiculous!  For that much I would invest in a mill and just machine a 80%'er.

Looks like we are past the onset of Fal upper receivers costing mad-money....just like all the pre-ban ar15's when the ban existed.

Capitalism at its best.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:09:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I've got an imbel kit on the way......they are only $229 limited time at classic arms,  I'll probably get a south african kit on FALFILES and the STG58 from FSE next pay days.....the receiver is what will kill you....DSAs are like $450

Dealer pricing for DSAs is lower than that.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:58:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Dan Coonan receivers can be had for less than $300. Only thing DSA has going for them is the lightning cuts on the receiver.

MikeyBat
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:53:06 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Dan Coonan receivers can be had for less than $300. Only thing DSA has going for them is the lightning cuts on the receiver.
MikeyBat

i dunno about that....have you ever compared them side by side?
don't get me wrong, i'm very happy w/ the 3 coonans i've built, tho i got mine at around $225 a while back.
 just my opinion but (w/o going into the cast v. forged issue) my DSA just flat out looks much nicer, especially inside.
and i think the coonans are still out of production for the time aren't they? not to say you couldn't find one for sale.
many people have reported their friendly FFLs getting the DSAs for around $325 +s/h......
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:07:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:31:32 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

MikeyBat

Not true - DSAs are forged, while Coonans are investment cast... I'm a big fan of Coonans - but let's call a spade a spade...

- georgestrings
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top