Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2005 2:24:20 PM EDT
Out of curiosity I am looking for info on my FAL.

I bought it new in 1986 for 1100$ w/FAL bipod, bayonet, blank adaptor, Israeli style scope mount and Springfield ART 4 rangefinding scope and hard case.

It was made by Springfield Armory and has the following markings:

Right side upper above pistol grip: "Springfield Armory,Geneseo,IL. USA

Right side upper on the mag well: The Springfield Armory logo  and the nomenclature "1005-SA-48-MATCH"

On the bottom of the upper just in front of the mag well it is marked :   IMBEL                                                                    
                                                                                                                   ITAJUBA                                                                          
                                                                                                                   BRAZIL          
Left side of upper ; "S.A.R.-48
                                7,62mm SA-xxxx"     (xxxx indicates serial number, which is only 4 digits)

There are no markings on the gas block or the lower. The flash supressor is threaded for the blank adaptor and the face is serrated for the blank adaptors ball-detent. I believe this is the Belgian design.The bayonet has a horizontal blade with a socket handle that slips over and locks onto the flash hider. I do not know if the barrel/chamber are chrome lined or not.

I have put many thousant rounds through it and it functions flawlessly and is very accurate. The only thing I have changed is to add a TAPCO SAW type pistol grip, as I didn't  like the slick grip that it came with.

I know Springfiels stopped manufacturing this rifle many years ago and was just curious to know more about "my baby".

Thanks,
John

"I am an American Soldier. I fight where I'm told, and I win where I fight"
Gen. G.S. Patton  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:26:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Springfield didnt actually manufacture it.  Its an IMBEL rifle made in Brazil.

I miss mine
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I have SAR48 also, it has hard-chromed chamber and bore.  It accepts all FN/FAL metric acessories and parts.  The only difference between a SAR48 and the FAL,  there are no numbers on the gas adjustment nut.  The rifle was banned from import by the GWB Sr.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:06:26 AM EDT
[#3]
My understanding is that Springfield will not work on these guns anymore in there is a "factory" problem.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:10:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the same rifle, and it functions flawlessly.

I have an original Leatherwood ART II scope on mine, and i've seen some of these scopes and mounts sell for pretty good money.

Great fun.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:05:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My understanding is that Springfield will not work on these guns anymore in there is a "factory" problem.

My feeling is that you probably won't need them if it is functioning perfectly now.  If you do need service any FAL gunsmith can do the job.  But I believe the SAR48s & SAR4800s have a lifetime guarantee by Springfield.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:24:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, I absolutely love this rifle and refuse to part with it, although I have had lots of good offers. I keep telling my friends that if I am ever pennyless & homeless I will be walking down the street with this rifle strapped to my back, as I refuse to part with it.  I do need to get a good appraisal on it's value for the insurance though.

Thanks for the info.

John

"Show me a man who will jump out of a plane, and I'll show you a man who will fight"
Gen James Gavin, 82nd Airborne
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:37:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an SAR 48 I bought brand spankin new in October of 1986 for $695.00....sold an HK-91 for the funds to buy the SAR.... got a question you fellow SAR 48 owners might be able to help me out with. Got my hands on a bipod at a gunshow a few years back ..bipods is in really good condition except for the finish.  I'd like to get the bipod refinished to match the rifle but am not sure what kind of finish is on my rifle.... the only thing I was disappointed in when I bought the SAR was the finish... to me it looks like its just black paint...any help is appreciated and FWIW...she functions flawlessly and is still in mint condition
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:45:27 AM EDT
[#8]
If I were in your situation, I would assess that rifles value at $2000. It will cost that to replace it if it were stolen/destroyed.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:13:10 PM EDT
[#9]
You know, ya'll got me to thinking.
It's 65 degrees and bright sunshine here.
I think I'll go shoot mine.

Merry Christmas to all.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:24:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Will220, I have the same sar48 with the "paint" finish. I am also trying to find out what finish that is, I have heard it is very similar to the "HK" epoxy finish they used on HK91/93
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:06:00 PM EDT
[#11]
As for repair on your rifle if ever needed, the best thing to do is buy a complete rifle kit for spare parts before they are all gone.   By far the cheapest way to buy parts.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice FAL - you have a keeper. Solid and reliable. Metric components will keel you going as there are IMBEL parts around. Tough break on the sale of an HK91 to buy one - that cost the trader about $800 in today's value. The DSA StG58 FAL is just as nice for 1K IMO.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:29:58 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Nice FAL - you have a keeper. Solid and reliable. Metric components will keel you going as there are IMBEL parts around. Tough break on the sale of an HK91 to buy one - that cost the trader about $800 in today's value. The DSA StG58 FAL is just as nice for 1K IMO.

As far as getting rid of the HK I have no real regrets...its a nice weapon but I just didn't like it for me...my biggest complaint...bolt closed after last round was fired...for me that's just a major no-no.... if your a reloader (i'm not) it puts a nice ding in the brass... for me it was like owning a Glock...GREAT weapon but a Glock just doesn't fit my hand like I think a weapon should
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:34:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Will220, I have the same sar48 with the "paint" finish. I am also trying to find out what finish that is, I have heard it is very similar to the "HK" epoxy finish they used on HK91/93

Unless HK changed the finish after I sold my HK91 the finish was completely different on My SAR48... I might have to IM our resident FAL expert Cliff on this one or go over to the FAL Files board for the answer on the finish on my rifle
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top